VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well stopped by the dealer today and they had in a new XR. I've been waiting to see the new bikes and was seriously considering trading in the '09 Pin.
However, after sitting on the new XR, I can't say that I was impressed enough to trade in.
The XR definitely felt bigger and more cumbersome than the Pin and right now I don't want bigger. I know, I didn't drive it, I guess it all depends on what you want. My bike before the Pin was a Wing and I don't want to go that way, right now anyway.
Good riding when the snow leaves.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well, I'm a whopping 5'7'' and hover close to 200 lbs with a30" inseam. My mom said I was big boned. Now, that I'm almost 52, I'm kinda not believing her??
Anyway, I was considering the CC over the XR but I just don't want the extra mass, especially around town. Last spring if the CC was out I would have probably bought it.
As I said, my last bike was a Wing, the epitome of luxury and mass and yes once the bike gets moving they handle very well with lots of power. But mass is mass and the Pin although not a lightweight sure handles and moves vey well and fits like a glove. Very important!
I definitely like the dual disks, bigger tank and more comfy seat on the new bikes though.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ride an 08 Pin which is currently undergoing warranty work at the dealership in Melbourne. They have lent me a Vision for the time being and I enjoy riding it immensely. However, for city riding I would take the Pin any day as it is much lighter and easier to manouvre. Most of our riding on our island State is on windy roads and once again the Pin is a much easier cycle to shunt through the corners. Open highway riding is where the Vision comes into its own as it just seems to lope along with bulk amounts of power. The X bikes look the goods in photos but a couple of mates on the Mainland have checked them out and told me they reckon I would not be happy on either model seeing as how I am still having my love affair with my Pin.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I have not ridden the Cross Roads, but I am pretty sure my pin would handle better being smaller and lighter, but I know that I myself do not ride my pin to it's full potential. My pin out performs my ability, i like to haul a$$ on the straights, but I tend to ease up in the twisties, i've slid down the road a time or two, so I tend to back off a bit in those situations.
Yes I ride a little hard, i'm not always in the speed limit, and I like to launch from the lights, my pin likes this too.
I need bags, I like to ride whenever I can, and going across country is not out of the question.
Do I need a full touring bike ? No.
Do I love my pin ? Yes.
Do I want a Cross Roads ? Yes.
Victory has given me some nice choices, different machines for different riding styles, easy but tough decisions to make, time will tell.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Thats why we have choices. The pin is a great bike. If I had the $$$, I would have one of each!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got to Melbourne on Saturday to pick up my Pin and lo an behold they got a XR and XC in the shop. Only got to sit on them because they are not yet set up for Aussie rego but was impressed with the XR however I can't see myself upgrading in the near future. I reckon Victory are going to drag a few prospective Road King buyers over to the other side. First timers to the brand will go for them too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes sir, so true. When I bought the Vic in spring I had spent since the November before looking at "all" the bikes from dual sports, nakeds and I never thought I'd end up on a cruiser. However, the Pin fit like a glove and that's what did it for me.
The XR I sat on didn't do it for me, but someone taller, different experiences and etc. well?
It's very obvious if you read Dsjr's review. I agree with his point of view and Bubba's, different strokes for different folks.
Remember the saying, "it's not what you ride, just that you ride."
Good riding

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
BellesAZ said:
Remember the saying, "it's not what you ride, just that you ride."
Obviously the person who said that didn't ride a KingPin! LOL
BellesAZ-
What a great line. Nice style....just like the bike.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bambam it's interesting coming from a Goldwing to the Kingpin. I came from an Electra Glide Classic to the KP Tour model and even though they are roughly the same weight the ease of moving the bike around is noticeable. I also appreciate the easy cleanup after a days touring. This is usually done at the motel room with a small amount of water in the ice bucket. Long ago I lost interest in all the bells and whistles while riding. I have also noticed that the still air behind the windshield with the lowers on the KP is equal to the fairing on the Electra Glide. I had major problems with preignition on the 07 Electra Glide which is the main reason I got rid of it. Now I can ride no matter how hot it gets and crack the throttle while passing or climbing a steep grade with no pinging. Overall quite satisfied with the KP and haven't really been bothered by the smaller amount of luggage capacity.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
as an ex Kingpin owner I can see the dilemma but as a current Cross owner I think the handling of the new cast frames is far superior to the steel frames with the different center of gravity.

Anyhow the Kingpin was my favorite cruiser I ever owned and it was hard to part with. I don't have the 'love' for my Cross bike just yet, but once i build up some memories with it as well I'm sure it'll give me the same enjoyment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

BMC, I came from the Wing after a run in with a deer. After that my wife lost interest in touring so I bought the bike for me. First cruiser, I never thought I would buy one, but the Pin seemed to fit me like a glove. It is definitely a big change from the Wing, very noticeable on the highway but I have grown to like it very much.
The Cross are very nice bikes but don't seem to fit me as well as the Pin which is probably good. Good in that I don't have to justify the price of a newbikeright away again.
Good riding and have a Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I love the X Bikes, but I love my Pin even more. I'm bound and determined to get 200k on it before even thinking of changing. I have it set up really nicely for my travel needs and still running strong.

As said by others, if money wasn't an issue, I'd have one of each in every color! But I haven't hit the lottery yet and still paying for mine so, I'm just glad that I am really pleased with it.

I do hope they keep the KP alive as it is a classy looking bike IMHO. I LOVE the big fenders!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

FishWitch said:
I love the X Bikes, but I love my Pin even more. I'm bound and determined to get 200k on it before even thinking of changing. I have it set up really nicely for my travel needs and still running strong.

As said by others, if money wasn't an issue, I'd have one of each in every color! But I haven't hit the lottery yet and still paying for mine so, I'm just glad that I am really pleased with it.

I do hope they keep the KP alive as it is a classy looking bike IMHO. I LOVE the big fenders!!!
200K, man you put me to shame. God bless and be safe!!

·
Registered
265 Posts

FishWitch said:

Been to look at them twice and test road once. I'm like youFish, love my kingpin.
Right now I have no payments at all. no house,bike car or truck paymnet. With only 15,000 on the 06 pin I think I will keep it for a while. New bike means a new payment which I do not need. Retired and love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later