VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of this chemical reaction before? It's definitely food for thought in the event a quick fix of some sort is required in the garage, on the road...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Not a chemist but I think it's simple, the moisture that keeps the glue fluid is sucked out into the baking soda. I assume it's probably purified water or alcohol. Water is coherent, it sticks to itself so it'll suck all of the water out of the glue. If Alcohol (or acetone) that stuff dries pretty quick so adding a super dry component that is happy to pull the liquid out will make it work quickly. What interests me is the strength factor, if it is in fact a stronger bond, it probably has to do with the size of the molecules in the glue and in the powder, they basically become a crystalline structure. Makes sense.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I used to do wood working / craft / art work many years ago.
A lot of it was doing inlay with crushed gem stones, bone chips, abalone shell or wood dust.

I would flood the inlay with super glue & then spray on an accelerant then I could sand & polish the piece.
Wish I had known about this.
Thanks for the post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.