VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't resist yourself from buying a harley they are so attracting and their bikes are just awesome my personal favourite.
LOL well I don't know about all that. But there's nothing wrong with it being a personal favorite either. It was so cheap I had to buy it. Whether or not it will remain in my garage is questionable. I've been on thenm for 48 yrs now and the main reason was I chose to ride American iron and for years there was nowhere else to go. And I've stacked up some serious miles on them I know them fairly well. They have one thing over the other 2 American bikes. Fit and finish. And indian is running a very close 2nd. Mechanically, ride and handling they are behind Vic & Indian. I've owned all 3 and ran all 3 literally coast to coast 2-up and loaded down. Their ok and since 98 there's thank god choices of American Iron to ride now. You see Harley knew we had nowhere else to go. They took serious advantage of that believe me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
LOL well I don't know about all that. But there's nothing wrong with it being a personal favorite either. It was so cheap I had to buy it. Whether or not it will remain in my garage is questionable. I've been on thenm for 48 yrs now and the main reason was I chose to ride American iron and for years there was nowhere else to go. And I've stacked up some serious miles on them I know them fairly well. They have one thing over the other 2 American bikes. Fit and finish. And indian is running a very close 2nd. Mechanically, ride and handling they are behind Vic & Indian. I've owned all 3 and ran all 3 literally coast to coast 2-up and loaded down. Their ok and since 98 there's thank god choices of American Iron to ride now. You see Harley knew we had nowhere else to go. They took serious advantage of that believe me.
There was another American made motorcycle, that being Honda's cruiser lines in Marysville, OH, just that most of the country never knew this. True story. Since the summer of 2000 with my small shipment expediting business, I have been to the Marysville plant surely over 1000 times. About 10 years ago, I started making deliveries to a building at the plant called MMC, short I guess for Marysville management center. I soon found out that building had been the old Honda motorcycle plant and I was dumbfounded. For over 10 years I have been going to the Marysville plant and never knew the Goldwings, shadows, Valkyries, and VTXs were made here. Here I had had a Honda Vtx 1300 from 06 to 11 and had never looked at the Vin plate. The seat on my Valkyrie from 15 to 19 did say Made in America. I can not figure out why Honda, to my knowledge, did not make commercials around this subject.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was another American made motorcycle, that being Honda's cruiser lines in Marysville, OH, just that most of the country never knew this. True story. Since the summer of 2000 with my small shipment expediting business, I have been to the Marysville plant surely over 1000 times. About 10 years ago, I started making deliveries to a building at the plant called MMC, short I guess for Marysville management center. I soon found out that building had been the old Honda motorcycle plant and I was dumbfounded. For over 10 years I have been going to the Marysville plant and never knew the Goldwings, shadows, Valkyries, and VTXs were made here. Here I had had a Honda Vtx 1300 from 06 to 11 and had never looked at the Vin plate. The seat on my Valkyrie from 15 to 19 did say Made in America. I can not figure out why Honda, to my knowledge, did not make commercials around this subject.
The assembly plant if I'm not mistaken or did they actually build the motors and everything there also ?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Honda ceased production of motorcycles at Marysville in 2009. All production shifted back to Japan.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The assembly plant if I'm not mistaken or did they actually build the motors and everything there also ?
From my understanding most parts were American made just like their autos, sourced from about 140 or more American suppliers, although some electronics probably came from Japan as do their autos. Their engines originally came from the Honda Anna, Ohio engine plant about 45 minutes north of me. 4 years ago I sold a Pontiac Vibe to a gentleman engineer who designed the assembly line that moved the engine making to the Marysville plant, and interesting gent to talk to. He noticed my Honda Valkyrie and went on about his role in Honda engines, ect for a good 10 minutes, really interesting. Another client is Quantum Technologies in Marysville. They did the painting for the Honda bikes. A management gentleman last year told me that he had 20 employees at one time dedicating to painting Honda bikes. They still do painting for Zero motorcycles and Honda repair and replacement parts.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Honda ceased production of motorcycles at Marysville in 2009. All production shifted back to Japan.
Yes it was and it was a few years later that they upfitted the Motorcycle building to a warehouse and special project center. The gentleman at Quantum Technologies told me that the Marysville plant and Japan were given the opportunity to quote Honda a price as to where all production ( probably the American production ) would go. Japan won the quote, probably by outsourcing a lot of parts and production to Thailand.

·
Registered
778 Posts
And avoiding a collective bargaining vote at the factory.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
In July 2002, there was a Valyrie riders get-together at Zanesville, OH. My wife and I rode there (2000 Valkyrie Interstate) from Albany, NY.

Many of the attendees, including us, rode to the Marysville plant, about an hour and a half away, on a day designated for that. We got to tour the inside of the place, with a Honda tourguide. As I recall back then, the engines were sent to the plant from Japan, but the final assembly of the bikes was done at that plant.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Motor vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@wspollack And that's how I always thought it was. But there again it was because I was told that by someone who rode them. I have a significant amount of HD knowledge. but other brands if I wasn't told or happened to read it I really never followed them.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
In July 2002, there was a Valyrie riders get-together at Zanesville, OH. My wife and I rode there (2000 Valkyrie Interstate) from Albany, NY.

Many of the attendees, including us, rode to the Marysville plant, about an hour and a half away, on a day designated for that. We got to tour the inside of the place, with a Honda tourguide. As I recall back then, the engines were sent to the plant from Japan, but the final assembly of the bikes was done at that plant.

View attachment 589671
View attachment 589673
The Valkyrie Riders gather every June at different locations around the country. They call it INZANE after the first two held in Zanesville. Nice picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.