VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I Rode The New Goldwing...
or...If You Absolutely, Positively Have To Be There Overnight

My close friend and LEO brother, owns our local Honda dealership and invited me up to experience the new 2018 Goldwing. In fact, he insisted. "It's a worldchanger and I want you to take it out and really ride it. Take it as far as you like!" he said as he pushed me toward their first new Wing.

It is a beautiful candy red in color and is a much smaller bike than the old model. It reminds me of the ST1300. Straddling the bike, it really seemed very small with a tall narrow windscreen. The curb weight is 842 pounds but she feels more like 542. Really.

"This one is the new dual clutch, with the seven speed, automatic. You're gonna love it, believe me!" he said as I fired up the Porsche sounding six-cylinder boxer. The exhaust sound is very romantic and smooth doesn't begin to explain how the motor runs. I backed the machine up and pressed the "D" button. She was now in gear. She doesn't pull forward like an automatic transmission automobile, but when you give some throttle, she gracefully begins her egress.

I headed out around the parking lot and did a few laps and tight circles. "This thing feels like a lightweight scooter!" I thought to myself with a big smile. Then I hit the Macon traffic. Love the transmission. Whisper quiet shifts. I was very surprised that I immediately felt at home on a bike with an automatic transmission. Zooming through the traffic I thought "This is a cross between my Triumph 1050 Sprint and my BMW K1200LT." The footpeg reach is similar to my LT, which was perfect for my 32" inseam. The handlebars are too low, causing me to hunch over a little. The seat is WONDERFUL. I mean, like WOW! I love this seat! I had no trouble flat-footing at stops.

I turned onto US80 and cruised for awhile at 60 mph. The fairing is much narrower than my Vision, and narrower than the old Wing. The wind management is pretty darn good, but because of the narrowness, you get wind on your arms and shoulders. The tall narrow windscreen means no wind in your face. I felt absolutely zero engine heat, in traffic or on the road. The suspension is very, very plush. She has a Cadillac type ride. That duolever type front end works very well but has a different feel in the curves. I did a panic stop and the brakes are world class. I could easily make the tires howl with great control.

I eventually hit the interstate and let her rip. She is fast. Autobahn fast. Ninety miles-per-hour for a while. I'm wearing an open-faced helmet and absolutely no wind in my face. This is really a superbike with weather protection. That transmission is unbelievable. The future is here! Flawless, seamless, groovy, right-on and outta-sight fun. Really!

I came back to earth and stopped to check a few things out. The luggage capacity is a joke. No Goldwind purest will buy this thing. Tiny saddlebags. Tiny trunk. The stereo is terribly poor for a bike that costs over 30 large. The bike is a wonderful but mixed-up engineering marvel. Wonderful motor and handling, but no storage capacity. Strange.

I have to say though, I love this bike. It is a worldchanger. I absolutely love the transmission. LOVE IT! Honda did a fabulous job with what matters most with the smooth six and handling. I'm thinking "This is the perfect police cruiser. You could comfortably spend endless hours in the saddle and turn on a dime." I'm pretty sure she is the Queen of Comfort in motorcycling.

Now I know you are wondering "What about the Vision?" Well, they are two completely different animals. COMPLETELY! The Vision is much, much, much larger. The Vision's motor is a torque monster. Way more torque and power where you ride it most. The Vision is a Peterbilt and the Wing is a Porsche. The Vision is a Lazy-Boy sitting on shag carpet and the Wing is an ergonomic, orthopedic typist's chair, with swivels on a hardwood floor. Or you could say the Vision is a '49 Mercury and the Wing is a 2018 Lexus. You can't stretch out on the Wing. You can't zip around traffic at 100 mph on the Vision. Different tools in the toolbox.

In closing, Honda has done a very impressive job with this bike. You can do figure-eights in a parking lot with ease. She is nimble and feels very light. You can chase traffic like a Hayabusa and she has the brakes and handling to go with it. And, who would have thought that an automatic transmission in a motorcycle could perform, I certainly didn't. Well, I guess it is 2018!

View attachment 467073

View attachment 467081

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
So, no issue with the front suspension bottoming out like I keep hearing about?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice review. You should be used to small saddlebags. How do they compare to the Vision?
I was comparing them to the old Wing. The old Wing was famous for the large bags and trunk.

I believe they are smaller than the Vision's. Either way, disappointing for a bike that seems to want to set the standard for two-up travel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Very nice I test rode also. I wasn’t comfortable on the seat and the price was typical for the new goldwing. The vision won out. I paid $16,500 for my ‘17 vision. The goldwing and the k1600gtl were great test rides but both would have been bought used. New pricing was way out of my budget. Besides the vision is American made.

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The Goldwing purest are buying the new Goldwing, one of the most extreme long distance Goldwing riders that I know of has already bought the new bike and is setting it up for the IBA Rally. Based on the posts at Adventure Rider many others are also buying it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I wanted that new Honda but where I live all the Honda dealers are jerks, they want your bike for nothing and they want top dollar for their bike.

I could have lived with the storage of the Gold Wing as both My wives and my full face helmets did fit in the trunk, but nothing else could have been in the trunk to do it and we wear small helmets, mine is a small and hers is an extra small both of them Aria Corsair X helmets.

That is when I went to the Yamaha Dealer and checked out the new Star Venture Transcontinental. I have a thread on it in this forum.

Good to hear how good the Gold Wing performed riding wise, I hear that Honda is going after a younger crowd with the new Gold Wing and not their current riders. Your description aligns well with what I have heard.

I do like the suspension system that Honda went with, to bad they removed so much storage capacity from the bike, many people can't fit two helmets in the trunk.

Thanks for the report on the Gold Wing.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
They did not bottom with me, but they are soft indeed.

Of course I was riding light and no passenger.
The bottoming he is talking about is the front suspension system has a urethane bumper that the suspension compresses onto when riding. Honda says it is designed to do that, while the guy that does all the Gold Wing suspension upgrades, I think he is from Georgia, says it is a bad design and the boot is causing damage to the urethane bumper.

Honda said that when they were designing the front suspension a variable rate coil spring did not work well and that is why they went with the soft spring and the urethane bumper that is being used as part of the suspension travel.

Only time will tell, but I suspect that urethane bumper is going to be a problem over the long term.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was it enough to convert you? I think that is the real question here....
No way. My Vision is a gift from God as far as fit and comfort. The handlebars, fairing, windscreen, feet location and so forth are immaculate as far as I'm concerned. I doubt the Wing would be as roomy for my wife as the Vision. She absolutely loves the Vision and she has the pedigree as a passenger from our multiple owned bikes for many long miles and many years.

However, as I'm getting older and not younger, my injured left hand and ageing knees may make me go to a lighter, clutchless bike one day. The Wing would definitely be the tool for the job.

I have a high-tech BMW owner background on my pedigree and I love the simplicity and low maintenance of the Vision. All that high-tech stuff is expendable and you don't want to own one without an extended warranty. Mayge the Japs will do a better job in that arena.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Goldwing purest are buying the new Goldwing, one of the most extreme long distance Goldwing riders that I know of has already bought the new bike and is setting it up for the IBA Rally. Based on the posts at Adventure Rider many others are also buying it.
Hey Rollin! I appreciate you jumping in here. Talk about pedigrees!

The "purest" I was referring to is our local couples that tour on a Wing. The ones that wear tennis shoes, stay on their com systems and talk on their CB's. You know, the ones that pass you with a Teddy Bear on the luggage rack. They do ride, they're just not Ironbutters.

They want all the luggage space they can get and a large fuel tank. Great people and one of the local guys has 350K miles on his last generation Wing. I would think they would move toward the Can-Am's instead of the new Wing. Who knows?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was it enough to convert you? I think that is the real question here....
No it did not. For me there was a lot of extras that wouldn't get used. Nothing in particular just the whole package.
The thing I had on the back of my mind. Was the cost of parts and labor once Manufacture warranty and/or extend warranty was up. I heard from some bmw mechanics that parts were expensive. Haven't heard much from the Honda's or victory's as far as expensive stuff but I'm sure something has happened to someone. Hopefully I'll never find out what the costs are but **** happens I'll enjoy till it does.
I went with the vision because of four reasons. the stock seat is very comfortable for me of the three bikes. I was upgrading to a new bike and only really need complete wind protection, a radio and heat grips and seat. I also didn't want to have to pay for add ons that should for been included in the base bike. Harley... it must be in their business model to support their dealers in the accessories market by having the stock bike with very few Items compared to their competitors. As long as the vision went from 0 to 60 in a hour and met my other four requirements. I was good. Where do I sign.

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Hey Rollin! I appreciate you jumping in here. Talk about pedigrees!

The "purest" I was referring to is our local couples that tour on a Wing. The ones that wear tennis shoes, stay on their com systems and talk on their CB's. You know, the ones that pass you with a Teddy Bear on the luggage rack. They do ride, they're just not Ironbutters.

They want all the luggage space they can get and a large fuel tank. Great people and one of the local guys has 350K miles on his last generation Wing. I would think they would move toward the Can-Am's instead of the new Wing. Who knows?
Reminds me of a cold Wisconsin morning years ago.
I was riding a Ducati and I was wearing insulated pants, insulated jacket, heavy gloves and a helmet. A Goldwing rider passed me and he's wearing tennis shoes, shorts, a sweatshirt, a baseball cap and smoking a cigar!
The Goldwing is a very different bike!! :)

·
Registered
651 Posts

I Rode The New Goldwing...
or...If You Absolutely, Positively Have To Be There Overnight

My close friend and LEO brother, owns our local Honda dealership and invited me up to experience the new 2018 Goldwing. In fact, he insisted. "It's a worldchanger and I want you to take it out and really ride it. Take it as far as you like!" he said as he pushed me toward their first new Wing.

It is a beautiful candy red in color and is a much smaller bike than the old model. It reminds me of the ST1300. Straddling the bike, it really seemed very small with a tall narrow windscreen. The curb weight is 842 pounds but she feels more like 542. Really.

"This one is the new dual clutch, with the seven speed, automatic. You're gonna love it, believe me!" he said as I fired up the Porsche sounding six-cylinder boxer. The exhaust sound is very romantic and smooth doesn't begin to explain how the motor runs. I backed the machine up and pressed the "D" button. She was now in gear. She doesn't pull forward like an automatic transmission automobile, but when you give some throttle, she gracefully begins her egress.

I headed out around the parking lot and did a few laps and tight circles. "This thing feels like a lightweight scooter!" I thought to myself with a big smile. Then I hit the Macon traffic. Love the transmission. Whisper quiet shifts. I was very surprised that I immediately felt at home on a bike with an automatic transmission. Zooming through the traffic I thought "This is a cross between my Triumph 1050 Sprint and my BMW K1200LT." The footpeg reach is similar to my LT, which was perfect for my 32" inseam. The handlebars are too low, causing me to hunch over a little. The seat is WONDERFUL. I mean, like WOW! I love this seat! I had no trouble flat-footing at stops.

I turned onto US80 and cruised for awhile at 60 mph. The fairing is much narrower than my Vision, and narrower than the old Wing. The wind management is pretty darn good, but because of the narrowness, you get wind on your arms and shoulders. The tall narrow windscreen means no wind in your face. I felt absolutely zero engine heat, in traffic or on the road. The suspension is very, very plush. She has a Cadillac type ride. That duolever type front end works very well but has a different feel in the curves. I did a panic stop and the brakes are world class. I could easily make the tires howl with great control.

I eventually hit the interstate and let her rip. She is fast. Autobahn fast. Ninety miles-per-hour for a while. I'm wearing an open-faced helmet and absolutely no wind in my face. This is really a superbike with weather protection. That transmission is unbelievable. The future is here! Flawless, seamless, groovy, right-on and outta-sight fun. Really!

I came back to earth and stopped to check a few things out. The luggage capacity is a joke. No Goldwind purest will buy this thing. Tiny saddlebags. Tiny trunk. The stereo is terribly poor for a bike that costs over 30 large. The bike is a wonderful but mixed-up engineering marvel. Wonderful motor and handling, but no storage capacity. Strange.

I have to say though, I love this bike. It is a worldchanger. I absolutely love the transmission. LOVE IT! Honda did a fabulous job with what matters most with the smooth six and handling. I'm thinking "This is the perfect police cruiser. You could comfortably spend endless hours in the saddle and turn on a dime." I'm pretty sure she is the Queen of Comfort in motorcycling.

Now I know you are wondering "What about the Vision?" Well, they are two completely different animals. COMPLETELY! The Vision is much, much, much larger. The Vision's motor is a torque monster. Way more torque and power where you ride it most. The Vision is a Peterbilt and the Wing is a Porsche. The Vision is a Lazy-Boy sitting on shag carpet and the Wing is an ergonomic, orthopedic typist's chair, with swivels on a hardwood floor. Or you could say the Vision is a '49 Mercury and the Wing is a 2018 Lexus. You can't stretch out on the Wing. You can't zip around traffic at 100 mph on the Vision. Different tools in the toolbox.

In closing, Honda has done a very impressive job with this bike. You can do figure-eights in a parking lot with ease. She is nimble and feels very light. You can chase traffic like a Hayabusa and she has the brakes and handling to go with it. And, who would have thought that an automatic transmission in a motorcycle could perform, I certainly didn't. Well, I guess it is 2018!

View attachment 467073

View attachment 467081
Very informative and I'm sure those who put Honda reliability as their top priority would look very favorably at this bike. I'm sure it'll run forever but I've never been able to wrap my head around the need for this much complexity when the V twins of today put out such respectable power and smoothness in a simpler package. Plus the seat of the pants feel of a twin seems preferable to many , myself included. I rarely question the long term reliability of names like Honda and Toyota even though I prefer Victory, Ford and Chevy. Mentioning car names in a bike review would seem outa place but the wing and that new Yamy are looking quite automotive to me. JMO

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
No way. My Vision is a gift from God as far as fit and comfort. The handlebars, fairing, windscreen, feet location and so forth are immaculate as far as I'm concerned. I doubt the Wing would be as roomy for my wife as the Vision. She absolutely loves the Vision and she has the pedigree as a passenger from our multiple owned bikes for many long miles and many years.

However, as I'm getting older and not younger, my injured left hand and ageing knees may make me go to a lighter, clutchless bike one day. The Wing would definitely be the tool for the job.

I have a high-tech BMW owner background on my pedigree and I love the simplicity and low maintenance of the Vision. All that high-tech stuff is expendable and you don't want to own one without an extended warranty. Mayge the Japs will do a better job in that arena.
Speaking of lighter.
Because my wife can no longer ride with me and I can't go far I'm thinking of buying this Honda NC750X with the 6-speed DCT (auto). Looks like fun! - 2018 NC750X Overview - Honda Powersports

A lot of aftermarket options, can still play in the dirt.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I hear that Honda is going after a younger crowd with the new Gold Wing and not their current riders. Your description aligns well with what I have heard.
Goldwings have never been a "young person's bike". They don't appeal to them because they are considered a "grampa-glide" and are too expensive for their pocketbooks. Older guys are attracted to them and have the money to waste on them. But with a smaller stature and less storage space, good luck in selling them. The Marysville wings were built to fit the North American sized rider. These were designed to fit an Asian body.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Additional thoughts:

I went back and looked at the luggage capacity. It appears that the Wing and the Vision are both rated at ~29 gallons.

That means the bags are larger on the Wing than the Vision because the trunk is certainly smaller on the Wing.

The new Wing's riding position makes you feel like you are on top of the bike. You look way down to see the clocks. The Vision makes you feel like you are sitting down deep in the bike and the clocks are much higher and in your direct view.

The Wing's tall, narrow, and very close to the helmet, windscreen, combined with the high sitting position, makes the bike feel like a scooter (really). I liked the Wing, but to my surprise when I hopped back on the Vision and throttled away, I had a big smile as that V-Twin pulls away like a diesel. A very hot-rod feeling. The Vision is still magic to me.

I just thought I would throw all this info out there. It's rare to have an opportunity to ride a new issue bike and to ride it like you stole it.

I'll stay with my Vision, but who knows what the future may hold. One day I might not care if a bike feels like a scooter. Kinda like how I don't care how small the bags are on the Vision. The Vision's sleek and stylish bags speak to my heart.

Ride safe my friends!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.