VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying this is my 3rd Victory, I started with a V92C in 99, then my 04 Kingpin I bought new in 05, now my Cross Country purchased officially Wednesday the 3rd.

My first thoughts, this just a good looking bike. Everything flows very well and they did a fantastic job with the tank. It doesn't look any bigger really than standard Victory tank but they managed to squeeze in 1.3 gallons more.

The control layout is good as the Vision albeit it's missing a few things such as power on/off button. Not a big deal, but it's noticeable. The radio is fantastic, even with the wind, highway speeds and a full faced helmet, I could clearly hear the radio at 10-11 volume, about 1/3 of max. I never cranked it totally since I only need to hear it not everyone else around me. Cruise control works great, but did engage a little harsh once for me, not a big deal.

Stock exhaust sounds ok, a bit timid, hey why drown out the radio on this bike right away. Tail light looks great and is nice and bright when on, turn signals are stylish and nice and bright as well.

Bags are easy to get off, a little harder to get on, but not too difficult. Roomy and feel sturdy. They're harder to 'slam shut' then if you just pushed close and wait for the click. Mirrors could be better but better than the Vision offering since these are more adjustable.

Stock seat feels great, on par with my Mustang, maybe a little softer but should be fine for long days.

Handling wise, I took a long sweeper in downtown Milwaukee, when I was at the cringe angle(when you know you're about to scrape your boards), that noise never came. This bike wants to be pushed through the twisties and it will do so with ease. It's equal to if not a little better than the Vision from memory.

Road feel is unbelievable, it was just fantastic. Part of it I'm sure is new tires, new bike and the air shock being filled to my weight but it took bumps better than my car does which is also relatively new.

Overall the good of this bike makes it a winner, maybe not a home run but it's at least 3rd base. Fit and finish are excellent.

I know everyone's read about the horrible buffeting, well sorry but I'm going to disagree with the majority of you. Today was 28F with winds around 10mph. If the bike was turning the right way, into the right channel of wind I did experience some buffeting, the rest of the time was very smooth, very clean air constant air, that is not buffeting in my experience.

Buffeting it what you feel when you 6 ft just behind a semi and you get that pulsating, head bobbing, pushing you around. I never felt that. The top third of my helmet did have a constant air flow, but there was no irregularity to it except in certain circumstances, no more than I ever felt even on a Vision.

What I didn't get that I did get on Visions was the drag of the trunk when you're riding solo(no trunk of course) nor did I get the wind pushing me in back like I get when I've ridden Vision's in street mode. My arms, chest and legs above the knees felt almost no wind, because at 28 degrees, it doesn't take long for the wind chill to let you know you're a dumbass for riding in 28 degree temperatures.

This bike cuts through the wind every bit as well as a Vision does, but it doesn't offer the same wind protection overall, but it's nothing a cruiser person will find offensive but a full dresser might or someone that has the 'perfect' windshield on their current ride.

Now for some downsides. The AM side of the radio wouldn't tune in squat, Milwaukee has tons of AM stations, but the radio would not tune to one, if I manually tuned, no sound, I may have a bum radio. FM was fantastic as was the weather band.

The floorboards are large nice but also sit higher than a regular Vic cruiser making me feel like I want to stretch out more than normal. Until spring and I take my first 500 mile day on it I won't know how accurate that feeling really is.

With the above comment, this feels like a seating position where I may feel the need for a driver backrest for a comfortable ride, once again I won't know until I take a longer trip.

The front brake lever is adjustable, great, but until I pulled it maybe halfway I felt no braking action, once they grabbed though they worked great.

Various nuts and bolts aren't hidden on the bike like I'm used to seeing with Victory. Front fender has rivets holding fender supports to fork mounts while my Kingpin had clean inside welds you couldn't see. Not a nice shortcut in my opinion.

Standard windshield could be 2" taller at least for me, other than that reach was fine for everything else(I'm 6'3" though).

I don't know if it's all newer 6 speeds but if you're 'lazy' on the shifts it won't completely change gears, not having the heel/toe I was having lazy downshifts making it harder to change gears. Probably more my fault than the bikes, time will tell.

A power off button for the radio would be nice. Also including a 2nd power outlet in the hole in the right side bag would be nice, cmon what's a outlet run? for 18k you expect a little more

You can see a big piece of the tailbone sitting the saddle between the front of the tank and the triple tree. At least it's sand cast black but still not the prettiest.

Overall the bike is very good. I was expecting more a 'WOW' but after riding the Vision quite a few times it's an evolutionary refinement versus a revolutionary.

The V92C to the Vegas/Kingpin platform was revolutionary, the Vision was revolutionary, the Cross Country is taking a great platform and just making it better.

I wish the weather would hold off but I did get around 1 hour and 42 miles on it today. I really won't know more until spring and I can rack up some real miles, but once again it was below freezing all day today so I just couldn't bring myself to ride it much more.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Great Review! It had both the Pros and the Needs Improvement points. Very fair and balanced review.

The only thing missing is...Pictures, Please!

Thanks for taking the time to write up your initial experiences with your new bike. Hopefully, Winter will hold off and you can log a few more miles.

Ride Safely!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Good review, Can you check your rear tire pressure without taking the saddle bag off? It is good to hear that the wind protection is better then the CR, how tall are you Pin?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
redpin04 said:
What I didn't get that I did get on Visions was the drag of the trunk when you're riding solo(no trunk of course) nor did I get the wind pushing me in back like I get when I've ridden Vision's in street mode. My arms, chest and legs above the knees felt almost no wind, because at 28 degrees, it doesn't take long for the wind chill to let you know you're a dumbass for riding in 28 degree temperatures.
Hey ! I resemble that remark LOL --- I was out for about 2 hours today About 30 degrees.
And leaving the house tomorrow at 6:30 am for an all dayer with the Toys for Tots ride. Tomorrow is supposed to be a tad warmer but no sun so im sure it will feel just as cold. Red cmon down and ride with us in the parade !
Meeting up with KenW at Woodfield mall at 7 then off to the parade.
Anyone still wanting to go be at the Sears entrance on the south side of the Woodfield mall at 7 am.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can see the bottom of the pulley and rim so I'm guessing I'll be able to put air in the rear tire with the bag on.

I'm 6'3" and around 235 so I put 15lbs of air in the rear shock.

Would love to do the toys for tots tomorrow, problem is bike is back at the dealership to use as their floor model for the winter. Dealers' closed tomorrow, not sure if I could coax them into letting me take it out for a day again. They're calling for snow monday,tuesday, wednesday so I may not be able to get it back there easy enough.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my new motorcyclist came in and the back cover shows the Cross Country and there's a review in there as well. Haven't read their take on it though, it should be interesting since I now have my own take on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.