VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I have just bought a 04 Kingpin. Ive noticed anywhere from 40-60mph it surges alot and I mean alot. I thought maybe it was fuel pressure then dirty tb, then dirty injectors but im starting to suspect it is my fuel controller?? I have a Dobeck tfi controler and straight pipes? Can anyone give me any settings ? I have green on 4 yellow on 6 red on 6 and rpm on 7 and my plugs are snow white. Dont really know how its running lean with settings halfway up but anyways this only does this from 40-60 mph in 3-5th gear it lugs, studders and surges? Help!!??

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Not sure what you know about the Dobec, but the numbers on the "dial" mean nothing. Ignore those. Start with everything off (all the way to the left), and idle the bike in neutral up to about 2200 rpm. While holding this, turn the green pot slowly until the motor sounds best, and/or until the tach shows optimum rpm. Once done, set your next two pots at the recommended settings for your machine. The final pot adjusts the 'cross over' between high and low rpm riding. For a V twin with only one set of plugs the setting will actually represent the aprox. rpm where the change occurs. OH, and think of the numbers in the same place as on the face of a clock. When you have a dual plug set up you have to double the final pot setting for the rpm desired. In other words, 8 = 4K rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The numbers i i w meaning was the clock position i have them at. The recommended settings is 3 for green 2.5 for yellow 3 for red and 7 for rpm. If i put it at that clock setting it has no get up and go. And if i have it at the settings im at now idk how it could be lean i mean yellow and red is at 6 and 7 and running lean? Surging out plugs are white. My green pot i adjusted just like your link said let it warm up then hold it around 2 grand turn the dial untill it sounds best it still surges

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No im only at 15k miles and pump sounds strong? I haven't checked it though i cant figure out how to pull the pump theres no screws theres just a pressure clip and a huge Philips head in center of pump

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Two things I saw. One: do you have your O2 sensors disabled as directed? and two: the rpm setting is way high at 7. That's 7000rpm before the main jet come on board. Basicly you are running all the time on the second pot, not the third (main jet) pot. Back #4 down to about 4.5, and #2 to the same, and #3 to about 6, then try it. You may try bringing up the #2 pot by half incriments and see how the ride changes, especially at Wot roll ons. This is the "jet" that adds fuel as you accelerate. The # 3 is the main jet, but don't need it kicking in till after about 4200RPM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When i i bought the bike it was installed so im not sure if the oxygen sensors arent hooked up.And i will try those settings greatly appreciated! How can i tell if they are hooked up ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mag vic I tuned to your recommended clock positions and green pot ended up at 5.8ish.I then filled the fuel line up with carb cleaner and blew it through the line softly.Blew the vent line out and primed the fuel pump about 20 times to blow anything through the filter.I then re adjusted throttle because it wasnt snapping back into place at all when letting go of it reset the throttle points then tokk it out .I went down the road at 40 mph 5th gear it didnt seem to surge or hesitate roll on. I let it warm up a good 5 minutes first it seemed to run good but i didnt go but about a mile or 2 because its raining and nasty. Im wondering if maybe its a mixture of bad controller settings and a clogged fuel filter? Id really like to take the filter out and run it inline high flow because its dumb being inside tge tank and hard to diagnose. Any opinions?

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
About the fuel filter, no. About the controller, no doubt it was off. I haven't used one of these in a long time but had one on each of my Nomads. Still have the 2000 Nomad. The settings usually are not all that high and understanding what each pot controls is the key to dialing them in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.