VOG Forum banner

I made a terrible mistake.

9K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  Wodun 
#1 ·
I test rode 09 Victory Vision. It was on a lark, just for fun, I had my DL 1000 in for tires, and they had a backlog, and Steve threw me the keys and told me to have lunch.

I've been riding for 20+ years, I've had sport bikes, and as I aged and my knees got stiffer and my belly bigger, nakeds/standards, and finally my v-strom (with my burgman 650 as a backup/traffic sucks bike).

I've never liked cruisers, forward controls always turned me off (did a couple of thousand miles on a shadow and another couple on an intruder).

But this... it was like some sort of dark sorcery. I was comfortable. Like sitting in my office chair comfortable. Everything just fit. I'm 6'3" and 280lbs, nothing ever just fits. But this did. And aside from neutral being elusive, it was smooth. I've never ridden a bike that would creep along at idle without feathering the clutch.

And now I can't stop thinking about it.

#3 ·
I test rode 09 Victory Vision. It was on a lark, just for fun, I had my DL 1000 in for tires, and they had a backlog, and Steve threw me the keys and told me to have lunch.

I've been riding for 20+ years, I've had sport bikes, and as I aged and my knees got stiffer and my belly bigger, nakeds/standards, and finally my v-strom (with my burgman 650 as a backup/traffic sucks bike).

I've never liked cruisers, forward controls always turned me off (did a couple of thousand miles on a shadow and another couple on an intruder).

But this... it was like some sort of dark sorcery. I was comfortable. Like sitting in my office chair comfortable. Everything just fit. I'm 6'3" and 280lbs, nothing ever just fits. But this did. And aside from neutral being elusive, it was smooth. I've never ridden a bike that would creep along at idle without feathering the clutch.

Yep, that's what they do.

It will now haunt you until you buy one.....or two.

#5 ·
I've been reading and researching all afternoon.

With the belt drive and hydraulic lifters, I can justify it as my Florida to Michigan bike. I make that run spring, summer, and fall, for around 10-12k miles a year. Basically, save me a valve check a year and a chain/sprockets every two. The extra weather protection and heated grips/seats would let me space it out a little more as well.

I'm doing a great job of talking myself into a third bike.

From what I've read, it appears I want a '11 or newer, due to the change from straight to helical gears, and the jump to 5k oil changes vs 2.5k for the older models.

Are there any other factors I should be aware of or looking for?

There is 2013 with 8k miles on it near me for about 8k. So very tempting.

#6 ·
Are there any other factors I should be aware of or looking for?
I don't know if I would call it a factor but if you can find one that has had the front fender kit added that would be nice. It's simply a reinforcement of the front fender to keep it from cracking and falling off. If it has the fix it will have the bolt circled in my pic.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire

Other than that I don't think you have much to worry about as long as the bike has been cared for.

There is 2013 with 8k miles on it near me for about 8k. So very tempting.
I would say that's a great price. Any goodies on it? If you are not sure throw up a pic and we should be able to tell you if it does.

#7 ·
Thanks VVBulldog, I didn't read about the fender issue. Sounds like a fairly simple fix if it hasn't been done yet.

The one I spotted was on cycletrader, quite a few photos of it.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Victory-VISION-TOUR-5006268842

I see quite a few of them with the ... wings? On the lower fairings. Do they move, or if open, block so much air as to make them a necessity?

Reactions: firstvictory
#9 ·
Welcome aboard soon to be Vision Pilot.

I see quite a few of them with the ... wings? On the lower fairings. Do they move, or if open, block so much air as to make them a necessity?
The lower air deflectors are very good at keeping rain and cold air off of you when not wanted. when it`s hot out they help to cool your legs. They have become extremely hard to find. You should look for one with them.

The 13 looks to be completely stock.

#8 ·
It's like the old Victory saying: "

ride one and you'll own one

Reactions: Wodun
#10 ·
And aside from neutral being elusive
To get neutral while stopped , gentle pressure on shifter while you raise the RPMs to about 1500. Works like a champ.

I would be more concerned with wear and options than what year. I do prefer some of the standard equipment on the early models that was later deleted, saddlebag door shocks and chrome tidbits just to name a couple.

#11 ·
You're late to the party my friend, but there are still plenty of dance partners. :)

Vic is the ONLY bike that I've ever ridden that just fits bigger guys.. yet still works fine for shorter folks. Black magic.

I don't own one (practically the only vic I haven't owned) but I personally have never sat on or rode a bike with better all weather protection than a Vision. That point was never more obvious than when I used to meet up for rides with vic clubs... I would be wearing all my leathers, double layers of insulated pants and shirts and snowmobile gloves etc on my Kingpin (it was in the 20's and like 100 miles to the meetup) and guys would come rolling in on the Visions' wearing a lightweight jacket and summer gloves. I'm exaggerating a bit, but that's what it looked like to me. Same thing in the wet; I'd be suited up in my rain gear and looking like a drowned rat and the guys on the Visions would have a bit of a dampness to their outer arms and top of their helmet.. in a frog strangling downpour.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. If I were given the choice of any bike on the road and I was told I had to do a 4 corner ride of the us there's only one bike I'd be looking to find. :)

#14 ·
@Jahx, I traded my '08 VV last summer on a Roadmaster. I realize now that I should have kept it for what little they gave and the fun I missed. But, I did not feel I could justify owning 2 bikes.
My complaints about the VV are:
Sometimes you get rattles. Keep an eye on the plastic parts.
The bags are cool, but much smaller than you expect.
I never had a front fender issue, but watch it. Some have been known to break.
Remove the trunk and you have a whole new bike. -- If you can find a filler plate.
You don't drive a Vision, you pilot it. It will give a BMW a run for it's money in the curves.

#17 ·
@Jahx Welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I never really liked cruiser type bikes either until I started looking to buy a new bike in 2014 and stumbled upon a new Victory/Indian Dealer in my area. I went in there interested in an Indian. Then I rode the Victory bikes and rode out with a new '14 Vision. I am about your size and the first thing I realized the minute my butt hit the seat of the Vision was that there will never be a more comfortable bike for me than this one. 5 years and 40,000 miles later I still feel that way. I'm going to keep this bike for as long as I can.

#18 ·
had a similar experience 8 yrs ago and i'm glad i followed my gut instincts on that one. haven't found anything close yet in total ride fulfilment that these visions deliver, and even appreciate her that much more after every test ride attempt to find an equal. i think you'd be kickin yourself in the balls for the rest of your days if you don't own one at some point,,, no regrets here ! i'd look for a newer model as they come with the seats that allow for a driver backrest, and of course the transmission thing. happy hunting :ride:

Reactions: Ghostrider25
#20 ·
They lowers are a great thing to have in the hot or cold. If you find one with them so not get hung up on the plastic fins as they may have a crack or be brittle. As long as the mounts are good we have a source where you can get repop fins that are metal and much better than the original plastic.

I put a wrap on mine.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: Ghostrider25
#21 ·
Ditto to what everyone else said.

I was originally interested in the cross country because I didn’t know if I liked the “look” of the Vision. But after riding both, the Vision was just better all around (except for the aforementioned smaller saddlebags) and I didn’t have any buffeting like I did on the CC. (I’m 6’2” and sit tall in the saddle).

Haven’t regretted it one bit. In fact, the more miles I put on, the more I love it!

#24 ·
When I was first shopping for a Victory, I liked the looks of the Cross Country and, while I didn't hate the look of a Vision, I wasn't super thrilled with it either. I did a Victory Demo Days and rode both. I then started shopping and bumped into a 2012 Vision in early 2013 with low miles and the right farkles for the price range I was shopping in. CCs at the time were much more expensive. I test rode it and said to myself: "this is it". 6 years and almost 30,000 miles later, I can't think of a bike to replace it.

#25 ·
WTF guys....help the man, only ONE suggestion as to what OIL to use ....

Primate Beard Jaw Liver Facial hair

#26 ·

Same happen to me back in 2009. I was having tires changed on my Yamaha Royal star and the old man threw me the keys to a 09 Vision Tour. The vision was in my garage the next night. Now I have a 2013 Arlen Ness VV. I have test rode every tour bike (besides the new GWing) out there and found nothing that can replace this bike. JMHO but the 2008 and 2009 stock bikes had the most chrome before they started to put the cheap parts to lower the price. No ABS but not a deal breaker!!!

#28 ·
Well you made the same mistake I made back in 2016, I test rode a Vision ;). After the test ride I could not get that bike out of my head and I was hooked and got it, handles great, comfortable and as I have said before she can dance for a big girl :). No regrets at all and to this date the Vision is the best bike I have ever owned.

#29 ·
Well, the lady of the house popped my dreamy 3 bike bubble. Seems she isn't willing to give up her parking spot in the garage. So I have to decide what to give up, the burgman or the v-strom? V-Strom Is the logical choice as it fills my long distance touring needs at the moment. But I just don't know how comfortable I am with the idea of taking a vision up Dalton highway (my 2021 trip if all goes well). I'm taking a month-long vacation the end of May, it'll take me from Florida to California hitting the national parks, with time camping in Yosemite up to Mt. Rainier and then across the top of the country to Michigan. I'll use this trip is a gauge as to how much actual 2 track and service road riding I do. I know I would lose luggage space by going from the V Strom to the vision as my current givi set up provides me with about 140 liters, but honestly most everything I need fits in my epic drybag anyways.

Burgman is my grocery getter. Nothing says I don't care if I'm stuck in traffic like an automatic transmission, Especially considering my V Strom has a fairly heavy pull on the clutch. Is truly excellent to ride, especially around town and I really can't see replacing it with a Vision. The fact that I have 190 liters of storage on that bike with my givi setup, places it far ahead of the vision for running errands as well.

This would all be so much easier if I could just have that extra parking. :)

• Haha
Reactions: mister-g
#30 ·
Well Sir, don't know what to tell ya there. I have three bikes as well and let me tell you, the f*cking car got kicked to the curb. Period. But if I was in your position and had to give one up to get the Vision in the stable, the Burgman would be the one to go. That is just me, however. Maybe the Vision doesn't fit your needs right now. Best of luck. I'm sure you will figure it out one way or the other.

#31 ·
There's several stories of guys riding Visions up the Dalton Highway. I personally wouldn't consider any other bike for it (But I'm biased). I've ridden my '13 from AL to NM/CO twice. Damn thing kept forcing me to stop at gas stations...about every 200-220 miles....That was the only issue. Dalton highway? bring it on ;-) LMYR

#32 ·
Yeah, I've read Rollin's report over on ADVrider, and I'm sure the bike can do it. I'm just not sure ~I~ can pilot it over those roads :) Anyway I look at it, I'm putting a vision in my garage, it's just been postponed by a few months. Hell, maybe I'll get one of those ride in motorcycle shelters for the Burgman :) Plenty of driveway space.

#33 ·
#35 ·

I need to sell my 09 Arlan Ness Vision, Im ready to make a deal !

#36 ·
I'd say so since you misspelled Arlen. You know he just passed away?

I need more information to make an accurate offer but I'll start the bidding with two cat pelts. You do deal in cat pelts? Most here do.

All jokes aside, why you looking to sell it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.