I guess it is true, There are two types of riders.... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

I guess it is true, There are two types of riders....

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ldare, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ldare

ldare New Member

I guess it is true, There are two types of riders....
    Those that have gone down, and those that are going to go down.

After 20+ years of riding 10K + a year, I had my first fall yesterday

First of , I am alright. All the gear, all the time. No broken bones, no rash, maybe a couple of bruises, but time will tell.

What happened?
    Here in Seattle, I was getting on 599 south, from Tukwila International Blvd.
    This is a blind entrance where you cant see the oncoming traffic until you merge.
    I am on the entrance ramp, with two cars in front of me. I am not tailgating. I look back and I see 3 semi trucks going about 40 mph, blocking all lanes. 2 of the trucks where nose to tail, blocking anyone from getting on.
    The lead car, stops, and pulls over to the shoulder. The next car in line hits the brakes, by the time I am looking forward again, I panic stopped. Unfortunately. my front wheel is turned, and over I go. I guess my speed is 25 mph.
    My Vision fall to the left, bounces to the right and skids.
    The car that was in front of me, pulled over, and help me get the bike off the road. He saw the whole thing and thought it was insane. The trucks, the guy stopping on the shoulder... I got his name and number for insurance purposes.
    WSP showed up , and since I didnt hit anything, no report had to be filed.
    The damage to my Vision, well the frame guards got scrapped up. When falling to the right, the foot board got pushed up and broke the panel. Also stops from using the rear brake pedal. Have some scraps on the right mirror, and the panels dont look aligned.

I will be taking it over to Hinshaws to get it looked at this afternoon.

I always thought that if I was going to go over, it was going to be something like this, when 3 things happen all at once, semis blocking the road, cars stopping over on the shoulder.

I am grateful that the Vision with all the guards, did a good job of protecting me. Of course the helmet has to go. But what makes me sad, is that my motorcycle pants, the zipper got ruined.. :)

I have been thinking about it all night, and I cant think of anything I could have done differently( Other than keeping the wheel straight). Giving the car in front of me more room, would have meant getting on the freeway 15mph, never a good idea. The only thing I can think of is just being more aware of your wheel when you stop.

So all you safe riders out there, and I still count myself as one of you, something like this can happen to anyone, doesnt matter how safe you always try to be.

Larry

2. bored76

bored76 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2010 Vic XR
    Glad to hear you're all right.

3. SofaKingBlue

SofaKingBlue Member

'04 Touring Cruiser; '08 Jackpot
    Welcome to the club. I'm a two-timer over the years.

4. bubba

bubba Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Good to hear you are not hurt. There are 1000 things going through your mind at the time it happened. You did what you needed to do. You are alive, the rest does not matter.

5. elooker

elooker New Member

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple, 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Glad you are OK. Sorry about the bike. Something needs to be done about that entrance to 599 and the trucks.

6. Clubford00

Clubford00 Active Member

16 Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Glad your ok, everything else can be fixed. Something else to check. The headlight for cracks.
    Ive been on the tips 3 times the last time was easter Sunday wheni was going to give a ride to someone after church, she got on the rear peg and while adjusting just stood there, I did the slow roll to the left and just couldnt hold her up. Boom !
    Anyway the other day i was cleaning the headlight protector and noticed to cracks in the upper part of the headlight glass,......SH*&%^&T ! Oh well ill keep an eye on it.
    Hope you get er fixed soon.

7. Andy

Andy Administrator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    Wow...Glad you're okay. As others have stated, the bike can be fixed.

You mentioned that your helmet was damaged. Please take a moment to see your Doctor to make sure that you're okay.

You've just stated the best reason why ATGATT is something every rider needs to think about.

8. ddawg

ddawg New Member

2008 Kingpin, 2010 Street Glide
    Close call .... glad YOU are Ok. Glad the bike has only minor damage. It happens quickly -
    as careful & as safe as I am certain you were - it still happens to any & all of us. Thx for the post - it's always a good wake up call!!!

9. h7wae14t

h7wae14t Well-Known Member

2009 Kingpin

Whew, glad you came thru it ok...
    if your helemt was damged...even a little bit, you should replace it (as you stated) as you don't know what happened to what you can't see.
    heh, at least you didn't drop your bike because you forgot to put down the kickstand! my brother did that with his springer and it cost him almost a grand to fix it...

10. FishWitch

FishWitch New Member

Glad things weren't worse!

Send your helmet to the manufacturer. Sometimes they will replace it for you or at least offer a great deal on a new one. Include the cost of a new one and for your clothes in the insurance estimate. I have an added 3k on mine for bags, gps, clothes, helmet etc. Only raises insurance a couple of dollars.

11. Putter

Putter Member

'09 Hammer
    Congratulation on surviving what could have been much worse. Its stories like yours that keeps me wearing helmets and other safety gear.

Thanks for sharing.

12. ldare

ldare New Member

So folks, what kind of insurance hit will I take?
    Looking at about $3,500 + safety gear replacement...

Larry

13. phoenix9

phoenix9 Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001
    Knowing the insurance industry, probably $3500 a month.....JK. ;-)
    Seriously, glad you are OK. You made the statement that you replayed the scene looking for ways to avoid the crash. I think a lot of people think "I can avoid the next crash by being careful", well, your experience is a perfect learning lesson for those people. We DON'T get second chances to replay the event or avoid all situations. Life is a one-time event. Glad you had ATGATT. I'm not perfect in this, but I'm glad you shared your story. We all learn from this.
    Thanks,
    Phoenix

14. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    Two kinds of riders, those who have and those who will.

Welcome to the club and remember the first rule of the drop club is, "THERE IS NO DROP CLUB" ;)

15. phoenix9

phoenix9 Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001

What club??? There is no Club......none of us have EVER dropped our bikes for any reason.