VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery, solenoid, or something else?
Heres the background...I rode my 2009 Vision to Sturgis -from Ft Lauderdale, 4600+ miles in 10 days. I must say, Jolene will never have to prove herself to me or any of the boys again. She rode like a champ! Best motorcycle ever!
I deployed 2 days after getting home. So she got rode hard and put away dirty.
fast forward 4 months and I'm home. Connected the battery- she fires right up. I do a quick shakedown ride, check tires etc.. then I pull into a car wash to blast some of the hard caked bugs off of the bike.

I was over zealous with the pressure water, I admit, so now the bike wont crank. The battery charges on the tender, the bike lights up, but the moment I try to crank the bike just goes black. Completely dead.

Did I fry the battery somehow?
Fuses seem to be ok
Is it the solenoid?
Its been 2 days now so the bike is dry. No change, she charges, lights up but dies the minute I hit the crank button
BTW Im have only the most basic understanding of spark and I DO NOT even own a voltmeter

Im about to jump the bike to a car battery.
Any thoughts or advice? Thank you guys in advance!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Eventually it should dry out & get back to normal. You can speed up the process by going through & opening up all the electrical connection you can get to, blow them out with compressed air & seal up with silicone grease for future protection. Some WD-40 inside the sparkplug caps on both ends & hitting the entire bike with a leaf blower to help dry it out. Be careful jumping the battery-don't have the vehicle running, just use the battery on it's own.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eventually it should dry out & get back to normal. You can speed up the process by going through & opening up all the electrical connection you can get to, blow them out with compressed air & seal up with silicone grease for future protection. Some WD-40 inside the sparkplug caps on both ends & hitting the entire bike with a leaf blower to help dry it out. Be careful jumping the battery-don't have the vehicle running, just use the battery on it's own.
Thanks for the advice. But still, why does the battery dump its charge as soon as I hit the go button?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Thanks for the advice. But still, why does the battery dump its charge as soon as I hit the go button?
guessing that when you hit the start button it "should" divert all power to the solenoid/starter for that moment.

sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Likely needs to dry out more.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
1st confirm that the cables are clean & tight (every cable has 2 ends).

Do you have +12 Volts on the gauge before you hit the button?

How long before it comes back to life? The 40amp breaker could be the culprit.

Cleaning tip, use you favorite detailing spray and a couple dryer sheets to remove those dead bugs.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
After that many mile round trip ride to sturgis my bets on battery cables vibrated loose, check with a wrench because your hand will lie & next time go a lil easier with the power wash

·
Registered
351 Posts
As mentioned, check that breaker. tighten the cables, and be sure everything is dry. Did you blow the water out of the spark plug holes too?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1st confirm that the cables are clean & tight (every cable has 2 ends).

Do you have +12 Volts on the gauge before you hit the button?

How long before it comes back to life? The 40amp breaker could be the culprit.

Cleaning tip, use you favorite detailing spray and a couple dryer sheets to remove those dead bugs.
Once the battery comes to charge on the tender, when I open the ignition I get 14 volts- which is normal. When I hit the start button the bike goes completely dead.
Where is the 40 AMP breaker located?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Once the battery comes to charge on the tender, when I open the ignition I get 14 volts- which is normal. When I hit the start button the bike goes completely dead.
Where is the 40 AMP breaker located?
left side of the bike under the plastic flappy cover up by the battery

·
Registered
479 Posts
Do it right....pull the battery and have it load tested. If it tests good, then clean the terminals and make sure it has tight connections. Use compressed air all around electrical connections. Most likely you have a toasted battery or water in the starter system wiring....such as the solenoid and or starter.

Do you not even get a solenoid "click" when trying to crank the bike?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Patience grasshoppers, it’s not been a week yet & not all people have time to look at things quickly

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.