VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I decided the Vision "is not for me" i have only taken two long trips on the Vision. The first was over New Years Eve in a really bad storm so I really didnt get the chance to test the bike on a long trip. This weekend I took a ride down to Andy then over to naples then back home. About a 660 mile trip for me. I will say there is nothing wrong with the bike, the problem is with me... A few of you know I am injured, with my hip the way it is the bike is just to wide. After about 4 hours my hip really hurt, not something I felt on my Vegas or my Suzuki's. The Vision is a great bike, but like I said, with my hip I really cant see it being my bike for the future. So with that, I still have the one Vegas and I am thinking of buying either a second Vegas (again) or going back to a C50T..... What do you think?

·
Registered
657 Posts
You got to do what is best for you. For most of us, having a bike is a selfish decision. It's not something that we must have. Selecting which bike to ride is part of that, so make your decision without apology and remember only you need to be happy with the decision. However, before you ditch the Vision you might see if another seat is available that would fit you better. It's unfortuante that the test ride didn't reveal this issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Don,
If you are keeping your other Vegas and you have had great success on the C50TI think that may be the direction to go. Do you think you have been able to specifically figure out what the issue is with the bike? The ONLY seatI would recommend for the vision would be the Russel Day long seat because of the way he builds it around the customer's needs and riding position.
It's funny that I can get hip pain as well on the Visionbut for a completely different reason that my damn legs are too long and I can't stretch out far enough without going to the highway pegs.....which can be too wide. Just goes to show you that you can onlybuild the perfect bike if eveyrone on the planet was 5'10" tall with a 30" inseam.
I think the C50T is the best value in the motorcycle world today and I know you are aSuzuki guy, but have you ever checked out the Star 950or 1300? those are some fantastic bikes with really good ergonomics. I've heard really good things about the 950 for those with a lower center of gravity.... :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
KingPin!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Putter said:
You got to do what is best for you. For most of us, having a bike is a selfish decision. It's not something that we must have. Selecting which bike to ride is part of that, so make your decision without apology and remember only you need to be happy with the decision. However, before you ditch the Vision you might see if another seat is available that would fit you better. It's unfortuante that the test ride didn't reveal this issue.

Good luck.
The test rides were great and the bike IS great. It is just a problem after 3 or so hours on the bike. I like the Vision for its storage but I was really more comfortable on the Vegas for a long trip.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
phoenix9 said:
Don,
If you are keeping your other Vegas and you have had great success on the C50TI think that may be the direction to go. Do you think you have been able to specifically figure out what the issue is with the bike? The ONLY seatI would recommend for the vision would be the Russel Day long seat because of the way he builds it around the customer's needs and riding position.
It's funny that I can get hip pain as well on the Visionbut for a completely different reason that my damn legs are too long and I can't stretch out far enough without going to the highway pegs.....which can be too wide. Just goes to show you that you can onlybuild the perfect bike if eveyrone on the planet was 5'10" tall with a 30" inseam.
I think the C50T is the best value in the motorcycle world today and I know you are aSuzuki guy, but have you ever checked out the Star 950or 1300? those are some fantastic bikes with really good ergonomics. I've heard really good things about the 950 for those with a lower center of gravity.... :)
I looked at the Stars previously and dollar for dollar they dont compare to the Suzuki's. I am going to to keep the other Vegas, BTW it is almost done, and I am reallly happy with the Vegas. But comparing my ride today with our ride in October, I was more refreshed after a longer ride with you guys. I still have the Fury and the Vegas so the C50T will be my long distance hauler.... I know it doesnt seem right to have a 850 as a long hauler but I ran 4000 miles with one a couple of years ago and loved every minute of it...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
dsjr70 said:
h7wae14t said:
I passed on the Kingpin origionally and went for the Vegas for the same reason. The Vegas is narrower...
Vegas, and KP share the same frame, and side covers. The seat pan is also the same, but the KP has a deeper pocket in the padding. Excepting a KP with a touring seat. The width is the same

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'd be looking at a lot of bikes but not the C50T. A co-worker had one before he got his Electra Glide. Not a bad looking bike but lethargic would be too gentle of a term. Than again I wouldn't get a 2nd Vegas either. If you want a second bike make sure you get something different for when you're in a different mood.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Hey Don,

I know this is a tough decision for you, but do what's best for you. After all, bikes are not a one size fits all type of product. If the ergonomics aren't right for you for long hauls, I'm sure you'll find something that fits you better.

Have you considered a Cross Country? Now that riders are starting to zero-in on finding various replacement windshields, possibly that could be your next long-haul bike.

After all, now that you've experienced riding with an audio system, do you think you can ride a bike without a stereo? (I know that a good audio system is a necessity for me!).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
dsjr70 said:
h7wae14t said:
I passed on the Kingpin origionally and went for the Vegas for the same reason. The Vegas is narrower...
Vegas/KingPin - Basically the same bike except for fenders and fat forks....OK...maybe KingPin Low (Lower and slightly narrower)

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Don,
I think an 850 cc bike makes a damn goodlong haulbike. It's all about what is comfortable.....throw ona nice seat with backrest, some highway bars with pegs and fork lowers and you will be nice and comfy.As for the engine size, i never had any problems keeping up on my M-50. All the power I needed was in my throttle. That motor doesn't give a sh!t if it's pulling 4500 RPM. If I canrun a bike up to 115 then it has enough power......120+ is why you have the B-King. ;-)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Don, as said before you gotta do what works for you. As Andy suggested, have you considered the cross bikes? The seats might be narrower.
Hey since your gonna sell the Vision why dont you bring it down for me to ride next week when im down there ? wink wink

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
How about a Triumph Speedmaster or America?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
kevinx01 said:
dsjr70 said:
h7wae14t said:
Vegas, and KP share the same frame, and side covers. The seat pan is also the same, but the KP has a deeper pocket in the padding. Excepting a KP with a touring seat. The width is the same
Oh yeah!! K.P.

Hey DSJR - sorry to read the Vision experiment didn't work. I enjoy reading your posts - your insights & opinion. Please keep us posted on your quest!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Well today I decided the Vision "is not for me" i have only taken two long trips on the Vision. The first was over New Years Eve in a really bad storm so I really didnt get the chance to test the bike on a long trip. This weekend I took a ride down to Andy then over to naples then back home. About a 660 mile trip for me. I will say there is nothing wrong with the bike, the problem is with me... A few of you know I am injured, with my hip the way it is the bike is just to wide. After about 4 hours my hip really hurt, not something I felt on my Vegas or my Suzuki's. The Vision is a great bike, but like I said, with my hip I really cant see it being my bike for the future. So with that, I still have the one Vegas and I am thinking of buying either a second Vegas (again) or going back to a C50T..... What do you think?
Hey - what about one of those Can-Am Spyder's?????? Oh yeah!!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Sorry about your hips, did not know you had an issue. What about HD? They do have a narrow seat.
You know,being the advanced age that I am. I stop every 100, 125 miles when I am on the road. Just to stretch out and get the blood going, fill upthe tank.
How about a Schwinn? The seat is narrow!! :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.