VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, well yesterday I had the first real problem with my 2014 Cross Country. The bike has 10,500 miles. Due to the reported clutch cable failure rates, I preemptively had the dealer install the hydraulic clutch kit on the bike about 2 years ago when it had about 1000 miles.

Yesterday, I was up in the mountains about 60 miles from home, traveling at about 55 mph and pulled the clutch to downshift... it just "clicked", and the lever went limp. I looked down at the clutch arm, and the metal rod that comes out of the slave cylinder for the clutch was just "gone", and fluid was spraying out. Lovely. I guess it just yanked right out of the cylinder.

I managed to get the bike home by staying mostly on the highways and just shifting without the clutch and letting it clunk into gear. At one point the highway came to a dead stop for no reason in a road construction area, and of course the bike died. Was in the left lane next to a barrier with no shoulder due to construction on a packed road. That sucked, badly. Very dangerous.

I eventually had a car give me some room and just neutral dropped it to get the bike rolling and out of there. My wife was pulled over on the right shoulder with her bike reported a smoky burnout, so I have that going for me. It probably looked cool as the rear end kicked out a bit and I took off. That can't have been good for the trans, but it was exhibiting no signs of issues after, and I was in a desperate situation pinned to the side wall and taking up 1/3 of the lane on a busy highway. I'm hoping since the tire broke loose that the gears were not as trashed as they could have been during that. Is what it is I guess.

Anyway, I tore the hydraulic system off last night and threw it in the trash, and I've got a Barnett cable on order. I always thought that thing looked janky, and it appears that I was right. If anyone has one of these systems, I don't know, I'd inspect it as best you can. Although what happened to mine would not have been visible, and I had just inspected it about 2 weeks ago. Yep, pulled lever, clutch moved, no apparent issues. I'm sorry I ever spent the money on trying to avoid a broken cable, because it happened anyway... and the pull wasn't even really any lighter than stock. Would have been better off with a cable and a Save Ur Ride repair kit...

PS - If you have one of these, my advice is to get yourself a set of large locking pliers and keep it in your saddlebag. At least in the event of failure you could clamp them onto the arm and somewhat have a chance at limping home. That is what I used to pull the bike up my steep driveway into the garage. Not ideal and very awkward, but it worked.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I ordered a hydraulic clutch from Victory, back in January. They sent me one with hose that was too short (for a Hammer, I believe). I had dropped it off at the dealer to have them install it, when they notified me about it. Anyway, they have a new hose for it (looks thicker, as well), but said they needed a different hydraulic fitting, which they could not locate. They've had the kit since last spring, so I'm just gonna go pick it up.
Was thinking about taking it to a guy that builds bikes (Harleys) to see if he can do something with it, but am also thinking about just selling the kit, and forgetting about the idea.
Your post makes me just want to sell it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know lots of people are running these, and I was in the camp of assuming that I had "beat the system" by installing this thing. I figured it would never be a problem, so I had nothing with me on the bike to account for the (typically) simple scenario of a clutch breaking. I guess it goes to show, mechanical items can and will inevitably fail sometimes. Mine might have been a fluke, who knows. It worked flawlessly for 9500 miles, then, POP. I don't ride like a madman, the bike has had an easy life... I'm not out drag racing it and yanking the clutch like the hulk or anything... :) All I could think about during the ride home was, I sure wish I had that set of locking pliers that's in my toolbox. At least if I had to stop (which I did), I could have limped it off the line in first to get rolling without having to do a massive neutral drop.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sorry I can't help;
but if you keep both ends of the regular clutch cable greased each time you change oil the factory cable will last a long time.
Your problem is why I like my factory cable.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The two things that almost made me not buy my CCT was the broken clutch cable issues and the engine stalling issues.
I was so worried that this was going to happen to me I had to think long and hard about buying the bike.
It turns out after almost 4 years and 45,000 kms I have never had broken cable or stalled motor, not once. (fingers crossed).
Sorry to hear about your clutch. Glad you made it home ok.
Keep it simple... use a cable.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I've been wanting to go this route for some time. There are people on here with Visions that come stock with hydraulic clutches and I've never heard any complaints. I know one guy that has 100K on his and I never heard of him having an issue.

@XR13 to bad you did not throw away your hydraulic clutch system my way cause I could use most of the parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to go this route for some time. There are people on here with Visions that come stock with hydraulic clutches and I've never heard any complaints. I know one guy that has 100K on his and I never heard of him having an issue.

@XR13 to bad you did not throw away your hydraulic clutch system my way cause I could use most of the parts.
The parts are still hanging in a grocery bagging in the garage. It is just intended for trash, that's all. :) I had to buy a new cable clutch perch off ebay last night for $150 because I didn't keep my stock parts. That just consists of the perch, lever and pull switch, no lines or anything. There are cheaper ones on there in crappy condition, but I bought a clean one since my bike is as well...

If you want the remains of the hydraulic one we may be able to work something out. The slave cylinder is obviously shot, and the only other problem with it is I just cut the line to more easily pull it off the bike. Hypothetically all one would need to get that working is a new slave cylinder and clutch line. Otherwise it is in nice condition.

If you're serious about it, PM me and I'd be happy to take pictures of whats left as well. If I could get my $150 back, that would be nice. I can't see as how the hydraulic perch/lever/switch would be worth less than the cable perch I just bought, being that the hydraulic ones are extinct completely now, and every bike came with the cable version... If you don't want it, I'll stick it on eBay, that is actually a good idea, haha.

It does not appear that this is a widespread thing, but I would just caution anyone going on a long trip or something, to account for the possibility of that breaking. Bring a vice grip at least. I just did a 4000 mile trip a few weeks back, but brought my Vaquero instead. Had I been on the Victory, I would have had to cut the trip short and pay to ship the bike home. That hydraulic clutch goes, and you're SOL in the middle of nowhere, especially now that you can't even buy them anymore. At least the cable system is something most any shop could rig back up...

·
Registered
752 Posts
So, every guy with a Vision should change back to the cable? Odds are you got a bad one! I put mine on early and it's at 52,000 and knock on wood still fine! I change the fluid every year and bleed it.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
If you're serious about it, PM me and I'd be happy to take pictures of whats left as well. If I could get my $150 back, that would be nice. I can't see as how the hydraulic perch/lever/switch would be worth less than the cable perch I just bought, being that the hydraulic ones are extinct completely now, and every bike came with the cable version... If you don't want it, I'll stick it on eBay, that is actually a good idea, haha.
PM sent.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
So, every guy with a Vision should change back to the cable? Odds are you got a bad one! I put mine on early and it's at 52,000 and knock on wood still fine! I change the fluid every year and bleed it.
@XR13 Very sorry to hear of your troubles. I personally have never been overly happy with the hydraulic clutch setup on this Vision. The engage/disengage or friction zone has always been way out on the lever and I just don't like it like that. Although since I changed the clutch out to the Barnett setup and had the boys in the shop check the slave and change the fluid out etc. it is much better. Going on 34,000 miles now and clutch operation itself has been good. I have to say, though, I have thought about whether it was possible to change to a cable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm sticking with cable, the parts should be here by Friday, so I'll put the bike back together on Saturday probably. I do a lot of long trips, and I can't have that happen when I'm 2000 miles from home like I was 3 weeks ago. At least with the cable I can use a save ur ride and find any bike shop to help if needed. I don't believe I'd be able to find hydraulic clutch parts for this bike in a pinch.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Put a hydro clutch on at 1,100 miles in 2013, 79,900 miles later, in 2017, it failed due to a seal inside. new one installed and going to look at rebuilding the old one.

Reactions: jwfuchs1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put a hydro clutch on at 1,100 miles in 2013, 79,900 miles later, in 2017, it failed due to a seal inside. new one installed and going to look at rebuilding the old one.
Would be a good idea to have a spare for sure. As the years go by these parts are going to get harder and harder to find I'm sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never said that. However if I had a Vision, I probably would consider it. Had that gone out during the 2 week 4000 mile trip I did a few weeks ago that was planned for a year, it would have ruined the entire trip. No thanks, not on something simple like a clutch. Glad yours is still fine, mine lasted 9500 miles and it was fine one pull, and exploded on the next one. YMMV, good luck either way.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
The hydraulic kit that was released for the CC/CCT as an accessory from Polaris is no longer available. Unless you can locate a new kit, stick with the cable. Keep a Sav-Ur-Ride emergency cable in your saddlebag and during each oil change, do the clutch cable lube service.

Sav-Ur-Ride

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.