VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hand Wood Finger Bag Sleeve
Inside tab of my JW Speaker adaptive headlight .... cracked.

I'm considering fabricating a metal tab , that I would need to trim ( with my new Dremel tool ) to fit over the area , and use some JB Weld epoxy to secure it. .. then the bolt / screw fastener would still come from the top......

any other McGiver types out there with any ideas ??

I have other headlights .... but kinda like the JW speaker ....

thanks
Peter

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I would try what you said!
Clean everything with denatured alcohol before JB'ing.

Next I'd buy new if I knew the problem would most likely not occur again...and perhaps not accelerating so fast. :hihi:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warranty replacement?
bought it new from WitchDoctors Feb of this year .... and have emailed them.... site says no returns on electrical items ....So we'll see.....

I am prepared to go McGiver on it if need.....

Reactions: Known1

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
View attachment 338009 Inside tab of my JW Speaker adaptive headlight .... cracked.

I'm considering fabricating a metal tab , that I would need to trim ( with my new Dremel tool ) to fit over the area , and use some JB Weld epoxy to secure it. .. then the bolt / screw fastener would still come from the top......

thanks
Peter
Duck tape holds the world together!!!!

I mean you know..

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the fix doesn't work you may need to decide if you want to look at headlight replacements like tires. :notworthy:
touché ....

I do have 4 headlights including the JW .... ;)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: Ampdreamer

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I wasn't going to recommend this next one because you have such a nice bike, but most likely will work as a patch, but it will make headlight replacements more complicated.
Clean everything up, lay down a glob bathroom silicone caulking on the headlight perch, install the headlight, add more silicone over the broken tab area bonding the headlight to the perch. The broken off part won't be used. Give it 24 hours to cure and then it should hold. I've done this to a custom set of auto gauges that were back loaded and they held for years. Not pretty on the backside though.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
bought it new from WitchDoctors Feb of this year .... and have emailed them.... site says no returns on electrical items ....So we'll see.....

I am prepared to go McGiver on it if need.....
I hear ya, but before you do that it may be worth attempting to contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement. WD just sells the product, they don't make it. If you have proof that it isn't even 9 months old and broke, I would hope the manufacturer would step up. Particularly since it was purchased from a reputable seller, you are the original owner, and you hold the receipt for proof of purchase. If the manufacturer leaves you high and dry then there is always the social media route, but at that point I would just follow through with your idea and move on.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
View attachment 338009 Inside tab of my JW Speaker adaptive headlight .... cracked.

thanks
Peter
1) what is causing the break, fitment??? Vibration???
2) it is plastic, so you could glue some more plastic to it to reinforce. Use a good plastic or epoxy glue.
3) the metal idea is good but will transfer the force to where the metal ends, so you may end up with a break further up.
4) If you are set on JB weld... look at Stainless steel safety wire as a structural component and the Epoxy as filler. Might even go as far as drilling the housing side to accept the wire and looping the wire around the tab side and filling with epoxy. Sand to fit
5) mounting bolt use some rubber washers as vibration isolators to take the stress off the joint.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: PJRo

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have a full machine shop at my disposal; you wouldn't want to pay what my solution would cost!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's not metal , not plastic .... some sort of 'cast' .
.....regardless ..... getting new replacement - under warranty ...just heard back from WD.

thanks for all the suggestions
:)

Peter

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update ...

I sent the broken one back to Witchdoctor's ...and received the new replacement in good time.

So...another Kudos to the WD customer service....

HOWEVER .....
I put the new headlamp in ..... and it blew the fuse in the bike after I checked the highbeam.
Undo the seat ..... take off the fuse box cover .... remove the bad fuse.....and trek to the nearest NAPA auto store for a replacement fuse.
I got a box of 5.
Good thing....as I tested again with the new fuse.....same thing. soon as high beam on...fuse blown.
I take out the New Adaptive headlight..... put another new 20a fuse in....and now test it with the old OEM headlight.
No issues.
I check all my wiring again , take out the OEM ...put the new adaptive in.....fire it up....bam .... another 20a fuse blows when I hit high beam.

Good thing I got a box of 5.

I now have the OEM headlight back in , another new 20a fuse
.........and contacted WD for some guidance on why this headlight is blowing fuses....and the previous one did not.

Stay tuned....

Peter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.