VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
Actually it's venomous.

The only snakes that are considered poisonous are those that are rear fanged like my Hognose. They don't inject a venom. They chew a hole and their poison is secreted to the prey.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
That would include the coral snake, would it not? VVB?

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
That would include the coral snake, would it not? VVB?
The coral snake is front fanged but they're small so often then use a similar chewing method as rear fanged snakes.

The coral snake can not fold it's fangs back. They stay out so if they're trying to bite and given enough time there is a good chance of success for them.

Coral
View attachment 470033

Hognose
View attachment 470041

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
Other than that flyer needing to say venomous instead of poisonous it should also say it does not apply to all snakes. It is fairly accurate for North America but other places have snakes that will kill you fast that do not like a viper.

Black Mamba
View attachment 470049

Boomslang
View attachment 470057

Cobra
View attachment 470065

The Coral Snake is a North American snake that doesn't fit the flyer.
View attachment 470097

Then some do look venomous but aren't.

Emerald Tree Boa
View attachment 470073

Green Tree Python
View attachment 470081

They do have teeth like all snakes but they're not fangs.
View attachment 470089

Reactions: crosscountryla

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
All snakes that I have been close enough to eyeball with has shad slit eyes not round and there is some nonvenomous snakes in Australia but more "poisonous" ones than you can poke a stick at.... I used the poisonous in double quotes as I have always been taught that venomous and poisonous is total interchangeable when it comes to snakes and spiders and a few other things.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Didn't know about the Hog Nose but I will tell you a Garter snake also has a venomous mucus it secretes as it bites it's prey. I had one latch on between my thumb and forefinger and my hand swelled up twice the normal size.
Cool Pics!

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
All snakes that I have been close enough to eyeball with has shad slit eyes not round and there is some nonvenomous snakes in Australia but more "poisonous" ones than you can poke a stick at.... I used the poisonous in double quotes as I have always been taught that venomous and poisonous is total interchangeable when it comes to snakes and spiders and a few other things.....
Something that is considered venomous injects it's prey.

Something that is considered poisonous sacretes the poison that can be absorbed or ingested.

In most cases if you were to swallow snake venom you will not have any of the signs or symptoms as if you'd been bit. It may make your stomach upset but it's not going to create the damage a bite will. Conversely most poisonous items will react the same if injested because unlike venom they don't need to be injected in the blood stream to work.

·
Registered
820 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Personally, I won’t be getting close enough to any snake to figure out eye roundness, slits, front/rear fangs or anything else!

These things creep me the hell out!

• Haha
Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
I like snakes. Messed with them all my life and find them fascinating..........But spiders are what make me get the crawly skin....Much as I like snakes, though, I'd use one if handy to beat a spider to death.

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
I had to ruin this one's day quite recently.
I sent the pic to my Dad.
He asked if I shot it.
I told him no, I just threw the gun at him. :)

View attachment 470345
You had to shoot him.... He had a gun!

Or was that your throw down?

Reactions: MagVic CCT
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.