VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done it? I just bought some, and one is clear and the other is badly yellowed; if I can take them apart I'm hoping that I can have vinyl put on them to clean them up.
Any ideas are welcome.

Thx,
Kevin L

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can try "Plastic Dip" spray. Available in a few colors, rubber like coating. I did it on plastic chrome pieces on my 05 VTX1300C.

Reactions: mister-g and kjlong

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Anyone ever done it? I just bought some, and one is clear and the other is badly yellowed; if I can take them apart I'm hoping that I can have vinyl put on them to clean them up.
Any ideas are welcome.

Thx,
Kevin L
The plastic pins in the hinges are split down the middles and snap together. You have to separate the two halves to remove the pins. Once the pins are out, the clear deflectors will come off the black plastic. Make sure the two halves of the pins completely snap together when reinstalling. If not, they WILL fall out while riding. Yep... had it happen!

Take a look at the exploded view on the parts websites and it will make more sense.

I have a second set that is still brand new. Planning to take them in and have the back side of the clear piece painted to match the fairing. Just haven't done it yet.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Poseidon; I can see where the "pin" appears to go in on the bottom bracket, just can't get them apart.
Do you have a good link for the parts diagram? I'm not having much luck finding one.

Thx,
Kevin

·
Registered
261 Posts
once you get them apart, do yourself a favor and replace the pins with bolts, a pair of washers and a self locking nut. Did that on mine. Part of the pin fell out on one and I almost lost the deflector. Just don't over tighten the bolts. Works better than the pins did.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I'm still dithering over what kind of deflectors to get for my 14 XC. I need something.. the previous owner put a CFAD on but the wind coming under the fairing on the sides is a *****. I hadn't thought about how the fairing deflectors might be problematic versus the fork mounted ones. Hm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
once you get them apart, do yourself a favor and replace the pins with bolts, a pair of washers and a self locking nut. Did that on mine. Part of the pin fell out on one and I almost lost the deflector. Just don't over tighten the bolts. Works better than the pins did.
How did you get them apart? Does the small part of the pin come out first? I've tried pulling/pushing/prying/lifting and I can't get it to move!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Thanks Poseidon; I can see where the "pin" appears to go in on the bottom bracket, just can't get them apart.
Do you have a good link for the parts diagram? I'm not having much luck finding one.

Thx,
Kevin
I can probably do better than posting a link. I think I have a spare pin that I ordered to keep on hand. If you can wait until this evening, I'll post a picture of the two pieces and how they lock together.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Ok. Here are the pictures. Both pieces are identical. The locking mechanism that keeps them together is the small raised square on the outside edge of the small end (picture #1). To remove, you push the smaller ends towards the middle of the hinge (picture #2).

It would be a good idea to have a spare set or the bolt, nut, and washers on standby.

Victory part number 5439040 (need 2 per side)

Picture #1
View attachment 509119

Picture #2
View attachment 509121

Reactions: mister-g and kjlong

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Once the pins are out, pull straight down on the clear piece. It will slide off of the top pin.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Poseidon - I'll play with them today. BTW - I looked up the price to replace the pins: Don Wood (victoryparts.net) was the cheapest @ $39.99 for 4, with shipping!

KevinL

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Not much difference at Cheapcycleparts.com but they have free shipping on orders over $99 if there is anything else you need to get up to that amount.

$18.68

PIN-DEFLECTOR

item: 5439040

qty: 2 @ $9.34

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Poseidon; I tried their website and can't get that p/n to pull up. I'll try a different pc later on.
BTW - I still cannot get those apart! Thinking I'll have ti drill them so I can clean & paint the deflectors, then replace the pins.

Thx,
Kevin

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Did you buy the bike new? If not, it is possible someone may have put a little glue on them to keep from loosing them. I know the thought had crossed my mind when I lost one. Zip ties saved the day! Anyway, I decided against the glue idea Incase I ever wanted to take them apart for cleaning or painting them. Having one fall out, I never would have guessed it would be that difficult to remove them.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Thanks Poseidon; I tried their website and can't get that p/n to pull up. I'll try a different pc later on.
BTW - I still cannot get those apart! Thinking I'll have ti drill them so I can clean & paint the deflectors, then replace the pins.

Thx,
Kevin
Item #10 in the link below (multiple items labeled #10 so look at the part numbers)

2016 Victory CROSS COUNTRY/TOURING ALL OPTIONS (V16DB/DW/TW36) Body, Windshield Fairing & Deflectors All Options | Cheap Cycle Parts

·
Registered
261 Posts
For the cost of the replacement pins is why I went with bolts. Go to your local Ace Hardware and pick up some bolts. You can go the fancy route and get the chrome or black chrome ones and still save quite a bit of money. Plus you don't have to worry about those breaking like those plastic pins will again eventually.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm still dithering over what kind of deflectors to get for my 14 XC. I need something.. the previous owner put a CFAD on but the wind coming under the fairing on the sides is a *****. I hadn't thought about how the fairing deflectors might be problematic versus the fork mounted ones. Hm.
I'll let you know how they work out, if the freaking weather ever cooperates! 21 degrees in VA yesterday!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Here are the pictures that were originally posted in post #9 of this thread. not sure what happened to them. Site will not let me edit that post, so posting them here.

Bicycle part Tool Plastic Auto part Rim

Cylinder Auto part Cable Tool Magenta

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.