VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I would check the local laws in your area but what i would do is.

Make sure he is old enough to wear a properly fitted (approved) helmet.
Make sure he is old enough to understand How to ride as a passenger.
Make sure he is old enough to know how to not only hang on ,and how, but also that he understands he needs to hang on all the time.
I know that some kids, Most kids, lose their concentration quickly. so age intelligence could vary.
Remember, YOU are the parent and our kids will do what we tell them (until they are teenagers at least) so remember make sure YOU use good judgement.
Just my ideas

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
As soon as he is old enough to fit a helmet CORRECTLY! Then buy him good motocross gear. If he can ride a bike proficiently he can prolly manage a tiny dirt bike.

OHHHH You meant ride WITH you! Mama ain't gonna like that! LOL

They do make a belt that has handles that you wear around your waist for the kids to hang onto.

GEAR YOUR KIDS UP THO!!! MAKE SURE THEIR HELMET FITS!
Earplugs are also a good idea. No need to start their hearing loss at a young age.

Try NewEnough.com and ebay for deals on kids gear. Also check out the swap meets in your area. Kids grow so fast gear is usually available.

Also set a good example for them. If they have to wear all the gear you should also to reinforce the fact they have to.

Like Clubford said, attention spans vary so keep the rides short and simple. No balls to the wall peg scraping blah blah blah.

The kids will let ya know if they like it or not!

Geeze and I'm not even a mom!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
My Answer?

When he (or she) is old enough to know the importance of respecting the machine.

When I was kid and had the opportunity to ride, well, let me say this...

I'm still here today and that's only because I was lucky.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Based on just gut instinct: 3-4 y/o. Younger than that there just isn't an appreciation for what is happening. I think 3-4 y/o is pushing it a bit too.

Have fun. Enjoy. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There was a guy on an Ultra at my son's pre-school last year that I'd see picking up his daughter. I'd estimate that she was probably in the 4th - 6th grade. She always wore a protective jacket and helmet. He had a rider back rest, so it kept her pretty snug back there in the seat. I thought it was pretty cool, however, I personally would wait a little longer for my son.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Check THIS out!

There is another thread on Pashnit, but I couldn't find it regarding riding with kids. It's an excellent thread. I'll keep looking or go for it yourself. (Free site NO SPAM)

·
Registered
158 Posts
mine turns 7 today. So far he has rode with me and been picked up from school everyday this year. many short runs.

I just started him around the block and we work up a little farther and always avoid the high traffic areas. About 5 miles is what he considers a long ride.
boots, helmet, jacket etc...

Hes got his mind set on a mini chopper right now. I am trying to get him more interested in dirt bikes. Either way I am told him he has to wait a couple of years, well that was last year. So I am sure I will hear 1 more year later today.

David

happy belated birthday to Fishy

·
Registered
103 Posts
It looks like the belt straps the child to the adult. I don't think I'd care to have my grand kids strapped to me in the event of a get off. I can't get the image of coming off the bike and rolling down the road with the baby attached to my back out of my head.
I can't give you an exact age, but they'll have to be old enough to understand the seriousness of what we're doing, and be physically big enough to be able to get away from the bike in the event of a knock down.
We all hope to never have a serious accident, and try to avoid them. Still, as responsible riders, we need to be prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For sure on the safe.

If mines having a spazy or hyper day. We do a safety check list.

Then there is always the comparison to the last road kill we saw when we were out.
and his favorite watching for other drivers.

Then we we ride in the car, I always hear this "watch out for that dumb @ss" and my wife gives the language lecture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lots of 4-6 year-olds at the local motocross track. My two oldest grandsons ride now - the 6 year-old on a Suzuki JR50 and the 9 year-old on a Baja 70. Full gear and NEVER on the road.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
my son is 7 now. He's ridden around the block with me since he was around 3. He's about ready for the 5 mile ride to the grocery store but the missus isn't allowing it.
A lot for me depends on the kids height. They should be able to sit upright on the seat and have their feet firmly and flatly planted on the floorboards.

His older sisters never liked riding with me much, mainly because they always had to have long pants(jeans) and no open toe shoes. Wisconsin is a helmet choice state for 18 and over if you're fully licensed.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mine are 6 & 8 & have ridden around the block with me but that's about it. If they continue to show interest - they were bummed when they saw my 8-ball "daddy, where do we sit?! At $300+ for the seat & pegs it could be a while!

If they show interest I want to sign them up for dirt riding lessons next season I'm very sure that the main reason that I'm still here is the skills I learned during my mis-spent youth 'ore the hills and dales in Ireland.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My son, who is 30 now, used to fall asleep behind me on My Yamaha Venture Royales, ( I wore out two of them) but in all fairness, with the armrests down and me in front, there was no where he could go. He may not have learned much because he now rides a 2009 Dyna Super Glide
Longrider

·
Registered
814 Posts

This past summer in Ontario Canada some genius tried to have a bill passed at the provincial government level that would prohibit children under the age of 14 from riding as a passenger on any motorcycle. The reason the member gave was the potential for sever injury. Naturally the biker community rallied together to have our voices heard and fortunately the bill was dropped before it came to a vote on the floor.
When ever Isee things like this it makes me think this is just the begining. Somebody somewhere thought this was a good idea and just because it was defeated once doesn't mean they won'ttry again, and again untilwe aren't paying attention and it gets passed as law.
Although I believe theremay bean age where children are too young to be taken out on a bike for a ride I also believe that the size of the child, location of the road, traffic density, speed,and good judgement come into play. I suppose there are people out there that do some dumb things but putting laws like this into placedoesn't leave any wiggle room for times when you may just want to takeyour little one for a short little rideon a back road or around the neighborhood where it's safe and they can get a little thrill.Helmets and protective clothing go without saying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kingpin05 said:
OK, my son just had his first birthday so I know it is far to early but....how old should a kid be before going riding on an MC?
Well, that all depends on the state you live in and the helmet law. One year old, probably not going to find a helmet to fit him/her :) . I had mine on with me at six and four but with helmets!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.