VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Power Commander 5 from a fellow Vision rider. It's new, never been installed. I have Atom Bomb pipes on my Viz. I know I'll have to get more fresh air in with a Lloydz top filter and a non stock front filter. No problem. This is for you folks running the PC5, is the performance of the engine that much better once it's professionally tuned ? Is the PC 5 pretty much a bulletproof piece of equipment ? I like my Vision the way it is right now but I have an addiction to throttle response. Every once in a while I like to kick it.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I think you'll find that the vast majority here have a PC-V . You should be able to get a map from The Vic Shop @Vicbuilder that will be pretty close to what your running.

It most certainly will make a difference. The failure rate is pretty low from what I've seen here.

But since you went with the PC-V I'd also recommend Lloyd's timing wheel and gasket.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I rode my XCT with just timing wheel and victory K and N style air filter for a year and you get a real nice boost on the low end out of that.Finally I rode to Michigan with a friend and had the PC5, LLoyds air filter installed and dyno tuned by Kevin X and the difference is truly night and day,you will have ,a cooler running machine,higher rev limit(this is huge) and a much more linear throttle response.My buddy had the Maximus installed on his and got slightly better numbers.Neither of us did cams and are totally satisfied with our machines.I thank the experts on here for pushing these truly needed mods to make this bike what I had always hoped it would be.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My riding friend, Rainman says he might go the Maximus route. I still won't keep up with Mountainrider.

Reactions: rainman

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I bought a Power Commander 5 from a fellow Vision rider. It's new, never been installed. I have Atom Bomb pipes on my Viz. I know I'll have to get more fresh air in with a Lloydz top filter and a non stock front filter. No problem. This is for you folks running the PC5, is the performance of the engine that much better once it's professionally tuned ? Is the PC 5 pretty much a bulletproof piece of equipment ? I like my Vision the way it is right now but I have an addiction to throttle response. Every once in a while I like to kick it.
PC 5 on my Vision runs perfect. Though they will try to sway you to the ECU tune. I have a had PC on all of my bikes. Only one had an issue and that was my fault.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
This is what you can probably expect. All the common mods . The Next step would be BB. My 14 Vision tour.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Triangle

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wish I had an answer. I just grew up spoiled with my first Vision. I have often wanted to try stock just to see...

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerMan

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I have the PCV, timing wheel, top air filter and k&n front filter. No cams yet.

If I didn't already have the PCV and wheel, I would consider the Maximus, but as others (and other threads) have said, no reason to switch over.

I'm very happy with my PCV. Much better than stock! Installed myself in about 2 hours (the injector plugs are the most difficult...just be patient and they click right in and out)

After installation I used a map from the Vic Shop until I could get a proper dyno tune. The map was pretty close, but the dyno tune made it even better.

Rectangle Slope Map Parallel Font

Reactions: J.Wales

·
Registered
79 Posts
A PC V gets the a/f ratio right for the mods needed to wake a Victory up.

I would get the cams done with any other work you plan to avoid yet another dyno run. The power gain after 4000 rpm is very worthwhile.

See the chart from 'Crazy...' above - that is what to aim for. A much better ride all round and still fully reliable.

A friend and I have the same set up and wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Just do it, you won't regret it ;). After the 500 mile oil change I unplugged the O2 sensors and put the timing wheel on, decent bump. Then installed the PCV both filters and the Auto-Tune, accepted the trims and now a lot better breathing/running bike. In the future I may do the cams and professional tune, but no hurry :).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I unplugged the O2 sensors too. I'm not going to change cams. Sounds like the PC5 and more oxygen will be plenty for me. Sincere thx for your input. Kindest Southern regards to y'all.

Reactions: BoilerMan

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I unplugged the O2 sensors too. I'm not going to change cams. Sounds like the PC5 and more oxygen will be plenty for me. Sincere thx for your input. Kindest Southern regards to y'all.
There are many that have the Visions done without cams and are very happy. It solves allot of the pesky problems inherent of a stock set up. But I highly advise if you are doing PCV, get the timing wheel and top air filter along with the front air filter. With a proper tune its a new performing bike. I for one was not convinced that adding the front air filter would make a big difference. I only had the top filter thinking it was all the air i needed. I was suspicious of what I was being told and had to prove it to myself.

I purchased an AFR gauge with sensor and it clearly showed adding the front played a role. Not a massive one but enough that my Vision did not idle correctly.

I did not want to use the Victory performance front air filter because it is cheaply made and the wire mesh gets rusty. I know because I had it when I first got my Vision. I ran into some Vision riders who turned me on to a K&N air filter with a custom bracket soled by 804 motor sports. Again you can do just the top Lloydz air Filter but as long as you have a proper tune you will be happy.

Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fuel tank
Automotive tire Font Rectangle Bumper Art

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
You are leaving a lot of great rumble on the table by overlooking the cams!
If you enjoy it with upgraded air pipes timing ,you will love it with adding the cams!
Been there done that!
It's not even a close comparison ,
If it's economics holding you back it's understandable but to say your happy the way it is without feeling the nd found thrust with the added cams is folly !
Don,t deny yourself that simple wonderfully pleasure!
And always dyno tune with you pc5 it's worth every penny

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You are leaving a lot of great rumble on the table by overlooking the cams!
If you enjoy it with upgraded air pipes timing ,you will love it with adding the cams!
Been there done that!
It's not even a close comparison ,
If it's economics holding you back it's understandable but to say your happy the way it is without feeling the nd found thrust with the added cams is folly !
Don,t deny yourself that simple wonderfully pleasure!
And always dyno tune with you pc5 it's worth every penny
I agree with what you say, but its a never ending search for performance. I was basically told the same thing about thinking of going BB. And then If I did that I will be told about super charger, and so on. its never ending. Its the size of your wallet that dictates how much is enough. In my mind its never enough just my wallet doesn't agree.

You can have a very nice ride with the OP's goals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The VV is fine until an HD and a DD blows you away. After that the hp needs to be piled on. There are always faster cruiser bikes but they have to spend more and suffer reliability issues unlike us. Mind you my kwaka sports bike has huge acceleration but that's in a different league altogether and isn't as quick point to point over large distances. Or as comfy.
Tire Wheel Plant Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
The VV is fine until an HD and a DD blows you away. After that the hp needs to be piled on. There are always faster cruiser bikes but they have to spend more and suffer reliability issues unlike us. Mind you my kwaka sports bike has huge acceleration but that's in a different league altogether and isn't as quick point to point over large distances. Or as comfy. View attachment 428961
At one point I had a stable, FZ-1 and DD. Its fine for a while, then you appreciate comfort and just add some ponies. and what HD do you speak of that blows the VV away?I lightly moded Vision will beat a Stage 2 Harley. The graphs don't lie. My Victory Vision with under 3k of work , I don't think so HD at least not without spending double.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle
Fuel tank Tire Plant Wheel Automotive lighting
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Triangle

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kind of my thought but I'm no expert. I haven't had a hog dust me off to date on the highway. Maybe on paper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.