VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my rear exhaust studs on my Cross Country tourcame completely out when Itried to remove the nut off of the studwhile Iwas trying toremove the stock front head pipes toinstall the Freedom Performance true duals. Do I use a vise gripso I can getareally good hold on the stud to remove it? I'm wanting to replace all of the exhaust studs with the allen head studs that Ibought from WitchDoctor.

·
Registered
946 Posts

Put nut on stud you want to take out.Screw another nut down until it hits the first nut.Make sure the second nut is on far enough that all its threads are on the stud.Back off theinner nut until it comes in contact with theouter nut.Hold theouter nut with a wrench and turn theinner nut up against theouter nut very tightly with a second wrench.They should jam against each other and turning theinner nut should turn the whole stud out.Ifthey turn on the studtry tightening the nuts againsteach other even tighter and try again.If it still won't come out take it to a reputable repair shop.Just make sure you don't twist it off.A little penetrating oil the day before might help too.

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

jellybean764 said:
Put nut on stud you want to take out.Screw another nut down until it hits the first nut.Make sure the second nut is on far enough that all its threads are on the stud.Back off theinner nut until it comes in contact with theouter nut.Hold theouter nut with a wrench and turn theinner nut up against theouter nut very tightly with a second wrench.They should jam against each other and turning theinner nut should turn the whole stud out.Ifthey turn on the studtry tightening the nuts againsteach other even tighter and try again.If it still won't come out take it to a reputable repair shop.Just make sure you don't twist it off.A little penetrating oil the day before might help too.
Thanks I will try that.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If the jam nut technique doesn't work. Go to the auto part store and rent a stud removal kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.