VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new Vision Rider... Turning in my Goldwing.
I loved my Goldwing, I loved everything about it, except it just wasnt comfortable.
So I traded up to the Vision.

I am still under 500 miles, so I am treating it like an new born babe. I do have one question. How fast have you had your Vision going? How was it...

Several times I have had my Goldwing, in triple digits, and it was steady as a rock. Matter of fact, I had to look at the speedometer to see that I was indeed going that fast.

My question to other riders is, how does the Vision perform above the posted speed limit?

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Hi Idare and welcome to The VOG.

I too, once owned a Goldwing and it's amazing how much more comfortable the Vision is compared to the GW. Like you, I enjoyed my GW and had many happy, carefree miles. I only wish the service intervals for the Vision was as long as the Goldwing. But, it's a V-Twin, not a six cylinder engine. As my Goldwing riding friend described his first ride on a Vision, "It's like riding a Goldwing, but it feels like a REAL motorcycle."

I'm sure you've noticed that the seating position on the Vision is much different than the GW. You'll never feel that "cramped" feeling of being too close to the windshield. Also, due to the floorboard positions, unless you're very tall, without having to add anything, there are multiple riding positions. Also, the grips have a larger diameter than the GW and to me the Vision is more comfortable and my hands have never cramped.

On the downside, the GW's audio system seemed more advanced (or more powerful) than the Vision's and delivered a better sound quality at highway speeds. The Vision also has poor AM/FM reception. I find myself listening to either XM or the iPod using the control cable. The iPod by far delivers the best sound quality.

You'll find out that after a few more miles that the Vision's transmission will become smoother. I noticed the biggest difference after the 2,500 mile service.

In terms of the top speed, while I won't admit to this, I had a dream of riding it at 105 and it was very solid and sure footed. But, like the Goldwing, when the trunk is attached, it can catch side winds, so be careful out there. When taking a long highway ride, I often attach a radar detector as a reminder to Slow Down as the bike does a good job of isolating the rider from the road.

Keep us posted and Show Us Some Photos Of Your Bike!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Oh hell yeah ! I took a test ride on a street version with my 150lbs 14 year old son on the back and he dared me to hit 100. At 101 i backed off because not only did i run out of back road, but i figured id never hear the end of it from my ole lady if i killed our kid. When i got back to the dealership i told him to keep his mouth shut. In the car on the way home he said with a grin 'THAT WAS SOOOOOOOOO AWSOME! "When can we go again. (It was his first ride on a bike ever(except moped stuff) )
So yes it will very easily do triple digits and it will do it quickly and as smooth as silk.
Oh one more thing, i am 6' 230lbs myself so your talking 380+ lbs going that fast plus the bike that was about 1100+lbs all together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Clubford00 said:
Oh hell yeah ! I took a test ride on a street version with my 150lbs 14 year old son on the back and he dared me to hit 100. At 101 i backed off because not only did i run out of back road, but i figured id never hear the end of it from my ole lady if i killed our kid. When i got back to the dealership i told him to keep his mouth shut.
LOL. I took my 7-year old son on a spirited ride in my daily driver well into triple digits one day and had him cross his heart and swear that Mom would never find out - what do you think the first thing out of his mouth was when we walked in the door ...

I can concur on the Vision's capability at both high speed stability and low speed maneuvering, but never having ridden a Goldwing before I'm curious about something from those who've ridden both: how does the Goldwing vs. Vision come out on slow speed lock-to-lock handling? (u-turns and parking lot stuff)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Welcome aboardldare
Congrats on your choice of the Vision. You won't be sorry.
There's a good sized group of Vic riders up your way so be sure to hook up with them.
I have an 05 Kingpin and while I would nevvvvvvvvver speed, I have seen my speedometer magically crest into triple digits. Solid as a rock. In fact so solid faster wasn't a fear, a ticket was. Normal highway cruising here in Nor Cal is 80+
Just wait till you take your Vision on the back roads!!! You'll have a SEG that won't stop.
(SEG=chyt eatin grin)
Again Congrats & Welcome!
PS ~ hope your wifey's aren't reading this! LOLOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can answer the low speed question between the Goldwing and Vision. It took me months to learn how to pull a U turn with the Goldwing, staying inside one lane, or about half the driveway.. It took me only a day on the V. I was surprised how easy it was.

My loving daughter, who rides a JXR, admitted to her mother, my loving wife, that she has had her bike up to 160 MPH. And who does the wife beat up.... me..

lol

L

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Welcome to the family. You have made a wise choice.
Your going to enjoy your new toy.
Don't forget to post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
ldare said:
I can answer the low speed question between the Goldwing and Vision. It took me months to learn how to pull a U turn with the Goldwing, staying inside one lane, or about half the driveway.. It took me only a day on the V. I was surprised how easy it was.

My loving daughter, who rides a JXR, admitted to her mother, my loving wife, that she has had her bike up to 160 MPH. And who does the wife beat up.... me..

lol

+1

The first few days on the Vision, I spent a lot of time riding around the neighborhood and practicing tight turns and U-Turns. I was expecting to handle like the Goldwing...Boy, was I pleasantly surprised!

As I've often stated, taking the MSF course anytime you get a new bike is highly recommended as it grants you the opportunity to practice slow speed maneuvers and braking techniques in a controlled environment.

L

·
Registered
252 Posts
ldare said:
Good to know - thanks!

You guys know that the Vision can take a little getting used to handling at slow speeds when you first ride it - just as you push it over for a half a second it feels somewhat heavy, then instantly it becomes light. I've put some time in on mine and I've gotten the point that I won't stop my practice routine until I can do a 360 in both directions scraping the floorboards! I've found it's a lot easier to become proficient and confident with the Vision (than other bikes) at slow speeds because you always know you've got the Tip Overs to 'catch you' (at least that's what's going on in my mind in addition to 'throttle', 'feather the brake', 'RPM's', 'more throttle', '****, that's too much', 'clutch', 'throttle', 'what's for lunch', 'throttle', 'clutch', etc.).

·
Registered
13 Posts

Right after hitting 500 miles I decided to see what mine could do. My first run I hit 108 and the second one I hit 115 in 5th gear. I had put the windshield all the way down and tuckeddown underneath it. Bike was very stable with a little vibration. Still had some throttle left but I'm sure there's some sort of rev limiter on these but I don't know at what rpm it kicks in. Also my bike is totally stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.