VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Being one guilty of always going for the latest and greatest "too soon" I had the "miracle" Dynabeads put in my tires at 500 mile checkup on my 2011 XC.
The bike feels ok up to about 75 or 80 but then it really feels like the tires are out of round at that point. I don't remember have such noticeable vibes before the dynabeads. I do have the Victory lowers on the front but I don't think that's causing it.
I'm considering having the tires dismounted and going back to new balance with the weights.
I want to have it feel smooth at least to 100 mph when needed.
How fast can you guys go without feeling the front wheel hopping a bit??
BTW, I'm noticing quite a few turned up noses from the HD guys lately. I have some friends on HD's and they are not like that at all, but I noticed a lot while out riding.
Maybe it's my HID headlight?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Being treated poorly by those HD guys - those are the same guys that if they were riding Vespa's or Japanese bikesthey'd look down on you. I have lots of friends that own Harley's - none of them are like that. You were just lucky enough to meet Genuine Grade AJackasses!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
advntrus said:
Wear itas a badge of honor. You are "worthy" of there scorn, but notice how quiet they get though. The old slurs don't stick.
Jap Sh!t? Nope.
Sewing machine? That leeds to a discussion on performance. Don't want to go there.
Herritage? Even some of the guys the local Hells Angels are riding Vics here. Go ahead and square off on them with your "Herritage BS.
Bottom line? There Bike look good in 4th of July Parades.....but that's about it.
Shawn
Don't worry guys. I like and have always liked being different. I had HD's many years ago in the 70's and it was only "cool' to wave to other HD's.
But I want to know............HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ON YOUR XC before noticeable wheel vibes????

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've only been up round 100 once and it was windy, but no wheel vibration/hop to report. Maybe get your wheels re-balanced. I don't have dynabeads, prolly never will. Sounds too hokey for me. If they were the schit, racers (bike or car) would use them, they don't.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Have Dyna Beads on both my bikes and been past the 100 mark a few times. :) Never had issue with the tires. I believe that they are a bunch better on my Vision Vs having the weights on the same tires.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Hey Bubba, you found a topic I have no opinion on but I have to keep my post count up.
Seriously though I did do allot of reading on Dynabeads and there are two camps those that swear by them and those that thing they suck. You seem to be in the middle.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
zork52 said:
Hey guys,
The bike feels ok up to about 75 or 80 but then it really feels like the tires are out of round at that point. I don't remember have such noticeable vibes before the dynabeads.
I'm considering having the tires dismounted and going back to new balance with the weights.
I take you took off the old weights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try putting some more beads in, it doesn't matter if you put too much in, the extra beads sort themselves out. If you have too little, that's when you run into problems. I don't have the beads in my XC yet but I had them in my Yamaha Raider and not problems past the 100 mph mark.

·
Registered
65 Posts

i just put beads in last week, 2oz front and 2oz rear, had it up to 150kmh and no problems whatsoever other than i had to wait for everyone else to catch up.
no wobble. no vibes.. some say 1oz front but thats for a 120. 2oz for 130 and up and its a heavy bike so i put in 2oz and it feels just fine.

·
Registered
399 Posts

I know car tires sometimes have a problem with being balanced, but having a weak sidewall location in the tire that will not show up on a free spinning tire balancer, but will on the kind that presses a seperate wheel against the tire being balanced (don't know what it's called).
The weak spot allows that part of the tire to flex more under weight and when the normally stiff sections come round again, it feels like you are driving down a washboard road.
Can/do MC tires suffer this problem as well? This could account for shakes and shimmys on balanced tires. No ammount of wheel weights or dynabeads could fix this type of problem, should it exist.

·
Registered
41 Posts
advntrus said:
Wear itas a badge of honor. You are "worthy" of there scorn, but notice how quiet they get though. The old slurs don't stick.
Jap Sh!t? Nope.
Sewing machine? That leeds to a discussion on performance. Don't want to go there.
Herritage? Even some of the guys the local Hells Angels are riding Vics here. Go ahead and square off on them with your "Herritage BS.
Bottom line? There Bike look good in 4th of July Parades.....but that's about it.
Shawn
He could always ask them how their Chinese chrome parts are working for them on their HDs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
No Beads here, but I have noticed that the adhesive wheel weights fell off. My buddies did the same thing. Very rarely like to go 75MPH+, so I'm happy withg the ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
PrometheusVII said:
I know car tires sometimes have a problem with being balanced, but having a weak sidewall location in the tire that will not show up on a free spinning tire balancer, but will on the kind that presses a seperate wheel against the tire being balanced (don't know what it's called).
The weak spot allows that part of the tire to flex more under weight and when the normally stiff sections come round again, it feels like you are driving down a washboard road.
Can/do MC tires suffer this problem as well? This could account for shakes and shimmys on balanced tires. No ammount of wheel weights or dynabeads could fix this type of problem, should it exist.
its called a road force balance if its for a car, not sure what that call it on a bike, or if they even do it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.