How does this relate to our engines... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

How does this relate to our engines...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MRMAXX, Apr 29, 2020.

1. MRMAXX

MRMAXX Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @MRMAXX I am watching this now. Should be interesting...

3. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    If he was smart, he'd know to turn his phone 90 degrees when shooting video....

What's the goal? To make maximum horsepower? Then your set-up will be completely different than if your goal is best average torque across the tach. This isn't Pro-Stock.

As usual, the answer is 'it depends'.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ghostrider25

Man I'm glad you said that! The depends part. 'Cause that is what I kept comin up with. I am not sure how you received the information, as you are someone who is well-versed in this subject matter. Me - not NEAR as much! - so I found it pretty interesting. The way he presented it was OK, though I will admit production quality could improve! :badgrin: Still, I like the sharing of knowledge.

5. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ghostrider25

• Like Like x 1
  7. MRMAXX

MRMAXX Well-Known Member

Interesting comments...

8. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    270 degrees will give a better video than 90. I actually watched the entire thing, I think I learned some things of interest and a few things were a bit over my head, but it was entertaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Back to the video. I enjoyed it but was wondering where it was going. Purdy much in super high HP applications exhaust design is only relevant to the size of the pipe to allow the pressure to escape. No real design in muffler or baffle and nothing g stepped. Like these engines. C999735D-155F-42D7-A7F6-9BAECABFD857.jpeg E68DDA8A-E9A0-4723-AC6F-28B10715BDF8.jpeg
    Not much going on here in design ? Just let it out !

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Me too. Not schooled like the pros but I love to research and get ideas for what is best for my application.
    Regarding Vic Cross bikes...... the head pipes are decent to a certain point..... ( not yours PJ...lol ) as a stock head pipe with cat intact. Muffler choices are the concern so I chose D&D for my application because I knew I wanted power first then I would settle for what ever sound the exhaust made. Plus they were strongly recommended at the time. 2011.

Some strictly want sound and could care less about the performance outcome which is why the MC exhaust market is so huge. There are lots of different designs. Many poor just to give you a cool look and sound but can actually cost you power. Very few exhausts are tuned to make power. Bassani is a manufacturer that has been around and like D&D and concentrate more on power and sound.

11. MRMAXX

MRMAXX Well-Known Member

I know your all waiting for my reaching to some of the "angry" post...so the quality of the video isn't perfect...That's what you focus on?

The guy is a legend in the NHRA and now in the Harley bagger racing...maybe you can cut him some slack.

The video has very little to do with"Pro Stock" 90% of it was about V-Twins...

I posted it for "information" purposes ...and how it relates to our engines.

As my followers are all aware, I have been thru 5 different exhaust and they all had an effect on how the engine performed.

So with that said, Cut george some slack...he is an old guy trying his best to provide some interesting content

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ghostrider25

No, man, I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. This gentleman has some serious knowledge to share, and though I didn't get all of it, I enjoyed it. ANd yes, I did think of you as you have been through a number of systems. Would you say that your experience aligns with his thoughts?

13. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Like HC said. We’re not build pro stock engines here. Our little air pumps do fine with our tuned exhaust. Last Sunday I met up with a dude who built a 165 hp M8. Didn’t get all the particulars but it sounded unbelievable. When he fired it up and revved it. Dam near blew my ear drums out. Using the Rinehart true duals into Rinehart performance mufflers. The biggest I’ve seen. Thinking 5” ? It was stout and he knew what he was talking about regarding the build. Apparently the new HD motors despond well to a performance build but your replacing everything from crank to heads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    Angry posts? I must have missed something...

exhaust is going to be different depending on the torque curve you are looking for. Highest HP is going to be a different exhaust (as well as other things) than the stump pulling low end torque that some want.

that is where the “It depends” answer comes in.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin
    No one attacked George... However, someone needs to show him the phone rotation thing. Surely there is SOMEONE at Star Racing who understands phone video recording FFS.

There was a lot of talk about forced induction and race engines and running out of exhaust pipe flow. Does this apply to any of us? Not likely. Additionally, there's how F**king LOUD a pipe designed for max flow is going to be.

How much benefit is really in it? In an engine like Maxx is running, what are we talking about here, a few HP?

Think of it this way... the difference between a big bore Victory engine WITH all the headwork, big valves, big throttle bodies, big injectors… and the same engine WITHOUT all that, just stock heads and throttle body is around 6-8 HP. Remember that those additions to a build ARE NOT CHEAP.

Now... have the best exhaust engineer on the planet design you the ultimate exhaust based on your combination at yet another ridiculous cost... and for what gain?

Unless you are competing in a sport where EVERY LAST HORSEPOWER is paramount, what is the f**king point? Allow me to further drive this point home...

I have seen a video of Lloydie's 230 HP Vision and Conquest's 174 HP steel frame race each other. The winning time was Conquest with a 7.2 second 1/8 mile. FFS, I ran that quick on a bike with 123 HP and my 225 pound ass in the seat. So, in the grand scheme of things, what's a few more ponies worth to ya? And how pissed are you gonna be when you get beat by a bike with less power from a build that cost thousands of dollars less? I got beat by a Kingpin with a lot less power than mine... he made the best pass of his life and guess who didn't?

It's always the same answer... IT DEPENDS.
    Absolutely EVERYTHING is a compromise. Choose your compromise wisely. A race bike is a sh!tty daily driver.
    So, what are you building? For what usage?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1