How do you fight insurance NOT to total? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

How do you fight insurance NOT to total?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Jasperboy, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Jasperboy

Jasperboy Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Victory Vision Tour, 2015 Victory Gunner
    Scuffed up my Vision two weeks ago today when I hit a deer on the Skyline Drive. It was all cosmetic damage and I was able to continue my trip riding another 1500 hard, fast and twisty roads over the next 5 days attending the VMC National in Johnson City TN.
    Got the estimate for insurance and it is $4k. I'm afraid insurance will total, but I've got that much in just aftermarket stuff. Corbin Seat, Ness driver and passenger floorboards, top rack, custom wedges, derby and cam covers, highway pegs, chrome EVERYTHING!, etc...
    NADA and KBB for 2011 Two Tone Vision Tour is $5500/5700 trade $7500/8000 retail.
    I want MY bike back! What can I do to fight for it? Thoughts and practical experience welcomed. Insured with State Farm.

2. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Used to let them total, then buy it back... Don’t know if that is an option now a days.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Here is a thread I created when I downed mine and had to get it fixed. Vision Repair Timeline Thread

The estimate was close to $7K.

I had a talk with Noe, who was fixing the bike, and told him I really wanted to keep it and was willing to do what I needed to make sure it was not totaled. This meant we did not fix every little scuff as I told him I was wear them as battle scars. Then some things we bought used to help keep the cost down. Then I bought the new windshield myself to cut it even more. In the end we got it done and I was happy.

I also talked to the insurance rep and told him the same thing and made it very clear I did not want to have the bike totaled. He understood and was very friendly with it all.

I could have easily gotten it totaled but merely doing the opposite demanding all new parts and every scuff fixed. That would have pushed it to the $10K mark that the insurance was claiming as its value.

This bike is special to me as a bought it new and every mile is mine. Plus it was paid off soooooo.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Jasperboy

Thanks Bulldog. Definitely plan to work with the shop fixing it as well do whatever is necessary to work/fight with insurance. Will definitely only fix “broken” parts and try and source used. I am ok with the battle scars, just want it back. TTWFO or a deer goes kamikaze on you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    By your description is most of what you added cosmetic? Do you have the OEM parts? If they want to total it, is that for factory only? If so, and they say it's totalled, tell them you want all aftermarket parts they aren't insuring back and give them whatever OEM parts in a box.

One of our offspring wasted a car recently that had newer electronics in it and I ripped it out.

Just a thought.

6. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

I have Progressive and they give dollar for dollar for add ons and mods. I took most of mine off before taking it out there as I could easily put them on the next Vision if it was totaled. I took the easy stuff off but let the agent know I would be taking my Mustang saddle if it was totaled and put the OEM back on, which he was cool with. If I had left them on that would have helped my total value and therefor given me a better ratio but it all worked out in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @Jasperboy I'm sorry to hear you were victimized by yet another damned forest rat. I swear the only place those things belong is on my plate! I hope you can work it out and keep your Vision. I would be doing the same thing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rollinwind

Rollinwind Active Member

Magnum
    You can make an emotional argument but only after a good tech inspects it. Next ask for the whole process and all the options that exist. Find out what the total path is.

1. total
    2. buy back from insurance company or Auction lot.
    3. will insurance auction lot approve your bike to be sold to public or through a dealer like crash toys. $6000 could mean a 1000 fee to salvage dealer.
    4. around 600 for the truck shipping. Who does it. Will they cover any damage in shipping? A lot of shipping company's are run by lazy women who will say there is no insurance when in fact there is. Dont be quick to believe anything you here from a trucking company. Lots of drugs and bad attitudes. Same thing at auction yards.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. normthenomad

normthenomad Active Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Insured with progressive, have had several wrecks over the years, (None were my fault, last one kid hit my car while parked), always gave me the option of buying it directly from them as did the other insurance companies involved. Did have one incident with "The little General ins. co. and car pro Had to tell Car Pro if they hooked to my Lexus I considered it as stealing the car and whatever happened after that was on them. They left.
    It was a '92 SC400 really miss it.

10. Jasperboy

Update. State Farm approved the $4k estimate and said they'd approve another 20% for supplements if we discover any other issues. I'm confident I can get this back to 100% for that with no issues. Thanks to all for chiming in, value the thoughts and opinions I get here. Will post before and after once I get it back.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    70% of value is totaled. This number isn't the same as KBB etc they have their own way to calculate values. Got 69% of the value of mine for repairs. Still have battle scars because I had to fix other things not in the original estimate that would have pushed it over the total line.

12. Psyop

Psyop New Member

2013 Victory cross country tour
    Advice from my lawyer brother many years ago if they want to total and you don’t agree because it looks like you’re getting hosed on a devalued payoff: get advertisements of vehicles in similar condition and features/options, low, middle, high price. Your choice of which vehicles to pull sale prices from anywhere on the planet.

Share with insurance company. Debate the insurance valuation if lower than what your evidence shows they should be offering.

I’ve seen this work for the owner many times.

13. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Yes, the value they give you is negotiable. Many forget that but you do need evidence to back up your claim for higher value. Use something like cycle trader to find bikes like your own. Insurance did similar with mine they had it in the report with 3 other bikes for comparison. So I couldn't do much to argue against it but they had a fair value. Allstate did well for me and hopefully I'll never need them again for a bike claim.

14. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

When I was dealing with it their value of the bike was much higher than I thought it would be. I was surprised and could have easily bought another Vision if it was totaled. I think the Vision is a bad example though because we should not be able to buy them so cheap. It's great but terrible.

15. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I went down with my GL1500 Wing in Aug 2003. Bike was 5 yrs old. Appraiser looked at it, priced out the parts and they came to around $12K. He suggested I live with scuffed mirror housings and Chrome. He scratched me a cheque then I visited with the dealer I bought my bike from. Asked if they’d give me 10% off parts and labour and they went along with it. I got the bike back in the spring, looked 100% again and I had $2500 for my trip to Lake Tahoe that summer. When a lot of parts are required, it wouldn’t hurt to ask the shop if they’d give you a break on pricing of them.

• Like Like x 4