VOG Forum banner

How do I fly with my helmet?

2447 17
At first I planned on just wearing it and walking into the airport. Someone is sure to give me direction of SOME kind I am sure! And it's not like they can mace me- I AM wearing a helmet. But then I decided that there must be a better option? Do I need to check it in as luggage? I can't imagine they allow a full face as a carry on. What about steel toe boots? Can I just wear them on my feet?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

I have worn steel toe boots when I travel and you just take them off they x ray them and you put them back on and youare good to go.
On the TSA web site it says nothing about Motorcycle helmets so my guess is they willx ray it and it should be good to go as carry on. I would call airline to verify as well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
randysfishing said:
I have worn steel toe boots when I travel and you just take them off they x ray them and you put them back on and youare good to go.
+1

I wear mine so much they are almost more comfortable than my tennis shoes. I wear mine through the airport almost every time I travel since they are so easy to slip on & off at the xray point.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would carry on my helmet to prevent any damage or beating, prefferably in a helmet bag. I would also wear my steel toes and be sure to put to have "Stinky Feet" if they decide they want to check you.

Basically carry on anything that is fit to you and things you need regardless in case of lost luggage. (That NEVER happens!)

Look on NewEnough.com for a helmet bag. i'm sure you can find one rather inexpensive. I definitley would not check it with luggage as they toss things around.

Check with the airline you are flying with for their carry on policy.

·
Registered
714 Posts

All you have to do is run the boots and helmet through the x-ray. Just for fun, strap on the helmet just before take-off and see if anyone reacts. I was politely asked to place the helmet under the seat in front of me.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
SofaKingBlue said:
All you have to do is run the boots and helmet through the x-ray. Just for fun, strap on the helmet just before take-off and see if anyone reacts. I was politely asked to place the helmet under the seat in front of me.
And what about your Parachute Mr. Cooper?
You all remember DB Cooper don't you?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
SofaKingBlue said:
This would be a great gag . Thanks for the chuckle . I can almost see myself doing it . Perhaps with the aid of a couple quick shot prior to boarding.

·
Registered
714 Posts
poptop said:
SofaKingBlue said:
This would be a great gag . Thanks for the chuckle . I can almost see myself doing it . Perhaps with the aid of a couple quick shot prior to boarding.
A few shots is the only way to fly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
kevinx01 said:
Having gotten lots of expieriance over the last year and a half of cam praties. Ship it all UPS, and walk on the flight with no carry on's or checked bags. Makes the whole trip smoother. It's three days from NY to Fl so I am betting it is the same NH to NC
I don't know what airline you are going to travel on, but the baggage check fee and carry on fee my be the same as the UPS charge.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had to fly Westjet Airlines May 2009 from Calgary, Alberta to Phoenix, Arizona and carried on all my m/c gear including helmet with no problems with the Canadian Aviation Transport Security Authority.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

elooker said:
kevinx01 said:
Having gotten lots of expieriance over the last year and a half of cam praties. Ship it all UPS, and walk on the flight with no carry on's or checked bags. Makes the whole trip smoother. It's three days from NY to Fl so I am betting it is the same NH to NC
I don't know what airline you are going to travel on, but the baggage check fee and carry on fee my be the same as the UPS charge.
*LOL* I am Gold Medallion on 2 different airlines, and pay nothing for checked, or carry on. I ship whenever I can though because I hate having to carry all my crap around. Not to mentionI don't want to set my stuff on the ground in anyairport bathroom; with the exception on NC

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking of shipping via ups- we have a full face helmet, beanie helmet, my armoured jacket, my boots, her boots, my chaps and two rain suits just off the top of my head..

But then my wife said that i'm an idiot and "of course we can take it on the plane" and promptly demonstrated how it will all fit on carry on.

Not sure I believe her- wives lie and make things up- but i'll go with it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have flown with helmet, leather, tools, and boots. Helmet was in a back pack for carry on. Boots on your feet but you have to take them off to get them looked at at security, no prblems with leathers, tools must go in checked luggage.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
APHATMOUSE said:
I was thinking of shipping via ups- we have a full face helmet, beanie helmet, my armoured jacket, my boots, her boots, my chaps and two rain suits just off the top of my head..

But then my wife said that i'm an idiot and "of course we can take it on the plane" and promptly demonstrated how it will all fit on carry on.

Not sure I believe her- wives lie and make things up- but i'll go with it!
Sure it will fit, but then you got to CARRY it. Besides a set of slip on shoes is mandatory for airplane comfort

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Most airlines only allow one carry on item......and there is no way in hell I would let them check my helmet under the plane. Use that excuse with the wife to UPS it. She knows not what she is talking about. Trust me, flying is pretty much my life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.