How can you tell if you need a new shock/spring? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

How can you tell if you need a new shock/spring?

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Bam'sVision, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Bam'sVision

Bam'sVision New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    08 Victory Vision (Retired 1998 Honda CBR 1100XX, 1994 Kawasaki ZX6)
    It's a squeaking noise from under my seat I have lubed everything i can find under there. I'm now starting to think it's the shock or something but my vision still rides as smooth as when i bought it. It doesn't ride hard or stiff but this dam squeak. I'm not sure how shock/springs are when they go bad but that's what I'm thinking. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. turkishexpress

turkishexpress Member

2013 Victory Vision Tour, 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 R
    Usually if the shock "goes bad", the piston seal gives out or leaks and the spring has to do majority of the work. The bike will either bounce in the rear if you're light or bounce and bottom out constantly if you're really heavy. Check your swing arm pivoting points and where the shock is attached to the frame. See if any of the bushings has worn out or needs to be lubed.

Also since I'm a bit anal about my suspension, I like to refresh it every few years if it's a street bike. 3-5 years max. Even though it feels like it rides like the first day you picked it up, it probably doesn't. We slowly adjust as the suspension becomes less and less compliant. In any case, I've seen people that have not touched theirs for a decade or more but they don't expect much performance riding out of their bikes.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  3. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    My shock started seeping oil recently. Still holds air and rides “fine”....but think I’m going to save up some coin and go with the Penske shock. Then I don’t have to worry about the air or the oil at that point.

4. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red

Mine had a loud squeak after a overnight rest daily. For about a week. No leak. Heald air. After a few miles each day it quieted down until a overnight rest. It does greased every tire change since birth. I took it in to Randy's cycle and they had told me it's a early sign of the end of life of the shock. Got 46,000 out of it with about 10,000 of that 2 up. Had it swapped out for OEM been fine since.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dan050

Dan050 Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour
    You say you lubed everything. But did you actually pull the rocker pivot pin and lube it?

6. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red
    Not sure, the dealer does it. They have told me that they do inspect it at this at the time. Guess it's a wear item? I wish there was a video on this because I would do it myself. Just need a visual before I get into it

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bam'sVision

Bam'sVision New Member

I didn't get that extensive but when I have a chance I'm going to try to get more in detail and see about the rocker pivot pin lube. Thanks

8. Bam'sVision

Bam'sVision New Member

Mine is the opposite after it has sat it's barely noticeable but the more i ride it gets more significant. When it first started it would get better after more riding but now it seems worse the more I ride. This is probably the second season and it's just gotten worse. I just turned over 62,000 so it's probably just time to change it. Think that thing is about $600.