VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I am hoping some one can help. It didn't sound too bad when I first rode the bike and I actually thought I was somehow hitting the horn button shifting gears but no since I no longer ride with a full face & since getting a windshield it is worse. When the engine vibrates or rumbles at the right pitch I hear a chipper like the horn sound vibrating or sending little horn sounds.

Anyone knows anything about it. The dealer is quite busy and it now drives me a little insane to listen to it? Any quick fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I am guessing there is an issue at the switch on the bars. Take of the left housing and see what the connections look like.Maybe spray some cleaner on the switch.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
your bike is warning people to get outa the way, here i come *LOL* Disconnect the horn and ride...if it still happens, it's probably what bubba said...bad switch,

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Does it happen only at a certain RPM?
My Kingpin use to chip around 2200 rpm, sounded like it was coming from up front. If I could hold the rpm steady it would come and go. Look around the wire loom that your cables run through on the upper tree, make sure they are in the open and not touching anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

GENTS
Thanks for the info. I will try to figure how to disconnectedthe horn. I am not sure how to take the left controlsout I am no mechanicI admit. I will look at it a little closer on the weekend. A neighbour offered to help me disconnec the horn.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Jest a couple of screws. You can do it!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Disconnected horn and no chipper on a quick ride. Took it finally to the dealer - they mounted it with the bracket to the front instead of the rear of the front area and added rubber washers and it doesn't make any more sounds unless of course I use the horn button. They stated they ordered a new horn as well.

Thanks to all who posted responses.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Glad to hear your not horny all the time and your right it can be frustraing. Front orrearand you should always use rubbers you live like you want to live baby. LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts

I seem to be having the same problem, just 340 miles on the clock and I find that I get what sounds like the horn while pulling away. more often when starting from cold, after a few miles it don't seem to do it.
Looks like i might have to rubber mount it as well. does seem that the engine vibration may be causing the horn to vibrate and make the sound.
A little something to do for the weekend now.
Neil

·
Registered
399 Posts

As I recall, in a factory style horn there is a metal dish very close to a biger metal dish. They are very close and when you energise it (close the circut / push the horn button) it vibrates using a magnet. If the horn is solid mounted, then the harmonics of the engine resonate through the frame it may be causing the plates in the horn to vibrate at close to their designed rate and cause your chirp. I agree the rubber mount should resolve it, unless it is an electrical problem.
Good Luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.