VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wiring up some air horns and using a relay. I made all the connections and when I attempted to put the fuse in, the horns blew. Any suggestions?

PS. I reversed the wires from the horn button and now I get nothing.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If it blows constantly, then its getting constant power, so its bypassing the horn button. Or the horn button is stuck down. Check the wires to the relay. The hot should only be hot when the button is pushed.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Not sure how Vic's are wired but the old Guzzi's had two wire connection's on the horn.
They ran hot thru the horn & the button grounded it.
Horns had to be insulated from the frame.

Relays can be set up so they complete the circuit when:
A) Power is put to them
or
B) When the relay is grounded

Check the wiring schematic of the relay.

On one of my Guzzi's I wanted it as stripped down as possible.
I used a three terminal oil pressure switch.
Two terminals were normally open then closed when oil pressure came up.
I used that circuit to put power to a relay that fed the ignition circuit.

The third terminal was normally open also.
When oil pressure came up it went to ground.
I used that circuit to activate a relay on the ground side for the lighting circuit.

With all accessories off I had full cranking amps at the starter.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Is it possible you got a NC relay instead of a NO relay? Check to see if the horn stops when you press the horn switch and sounds when you let off the switch.

Reactions: Trout

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I'm wiring up some air horns and using a relay. I made all the connections and when I attempted to put the fuse in, the horns blew. Any suggestions?
I'm suggesting you check your undershorts for any fresh skid marks after hearing that airhorn system blast when you least expected it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Here's the latest. I replaced the relay, checked all my wiring and connections. Now the horn only blows when the ignition is off.

It only blows when I push the button with the ignition off. Ignition on - push button - nothing.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Sorry, but thats funny. I know its frustrating, but I'd have to laugh my ass off over a beer watching that.

Reactions: Trout
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.