VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The recent threads about guys losing their Dads prompted me to create this thread. My Dad passed almost 7 years ago. He was a great guy that kept a boot in my rear end when I was young. I owe so much to my Dad including my love of motorcycles. Sadly, I never got to ride along side my Dad.

Three years ago on his birthday, September 22nd, I decided to take a birthday ride with my Dad. Just me and my memories. I rode and thought about him a lot. I stopped for lunch and on my way out as I left I had the bartender buy the three guys in the bar "beers from Leonard ( my Dad)" but only after I was gone.

That year I decided to make this ride a tradition.....every year on September 22nd....rain or shine. This past Sunday would have been my Dad's 84th birthday. This year my wife and some friends that ride joined me. We remembered my Dad and raised a glass in memory of him. A nice but emotional day.

Here's a photo of me and my bike just before I pulled out on the first ride three years ago. The sign on my bike is also part of the tradition.
Clothing Jeans Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good story and great idea. My dad passed 5 years ago on July 3. Went in the hospital on the first with a heart attack of sorts. He had had an attack in the late 90s and had a mechanical valve placed(St. Jude valve). This time about 1/2 of his heart gave out. So time was winding down.
On the first, while in the CCU, he wanted to make sure my daughter got her birthday card from him. Her birthday was July 2nd, her 18th. My son was out of state but was on his was and got to the hospital in time to let his grandfather know he was there. We told dad it was okay, we were all there.
Ten minutes later he was finally in his peaceful sleep.
We weren’t street riders growing up, dad had gotten us a couple of trail/street bikes and we had a Honda trail 70. We rode some, not all the time. But he was out there riding with us.
At 85, the month before he passed, dad and I took a trip to some property we have on the Arkansas Oklahoma border, 116 acres surrounded by 7000 acres of wilderness area. We rode 4 wheelers because he hadn’t seen the property in10 years. On the way back home, we stopped to spend a few minutes with his brother. As we left, he got in the truck and he said “Now this was a great day!”
Yours is a great idea and I may do something like that to honor/remember dad. It’s given me an idea to do something unique that I could share....sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good story and great idea. My dad passed 5 years ago on July 3. Went in the hospital on the first with a heart attack of sorts. He had had an attack in the late 90s and had a mechanical valve placed(St. Jude valve). This time about 1/2 of his heart gave out. So time was winding down.
On the first, while in the CCU, he wanted to make sure my daughter got her birthday card from him. Her birthday was July 2nd, her 18th. My son was out of state but was on his was and got to the hospital in time to let his grandfather know he was there. We told dad it was okay, we were all there.
Ten minutes later he was finally in his peaceful sleep.
We weren't street riders growing up, dad had gotten us a couple of trail/street bikes and we had a Honda trail 70. We rode some, not all the time. But he was out there riding with us.
At 85, the month before he passed, dad and I took a trip to some property we have on the Arkansas Oklahoma border, 116 acres surrounded by 7000 acres of wilderness area. We rode 4 wheelers because he hadn't seen the property in10 years. On the way back home, we stopped to spend a few minutes with his brother. As we left, he got in the truck and he said "Now this was a great day!"
Yours is a great idea and I may do something like that to honor/remember dad. It's given me an idea to do something unique that I could share....sorry for the long post.
Good son.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I like it A LOT! Lost my Dad 4 years ago, things will never be close to the same.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I lost my Dad in 1990. That's him in my avatar on his Indian.
He and my Mom used to ride when they were dating and first married.
I believe their stories are why I started riding.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I lost my Dad in 1990. That's him in my avatar on his Indian.
He and my Mom used to ride when they were dating and first married.
I believe their stories are why I started riding.
I think I could use a front light like what's on your Dads byk! I lost my Dad in 1989...ergh...crappy being an orphan! I was lucky I had such a great Dad too. Nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dad lost the battle with leukemia October 11, 2014. I miss him every day. We never had the opportunity to ride together but whenever I ride I feel he is with me. The picture I use as my avatar is of my dad with little me perched on his Harley probably in the summer of 1961. When my sister came along a couple years later my dad sold the bike. He was such a good man and taught me so many life lessons. He was, and still is, my hero. We found a pretty cool picture of my dad and his 3 brothers together with my uncle's Indian. They are all gone now...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
603 Posts
My dad lost the battle with leukemia October 11, 2014. I miss him every day. We never had the opportunity to ride together but whenever I ride I feel he is with me. The picture I use as my avatar is of my dad with little me perched on his Harley probably in the summer of 1961. When my sister came along a couple years later my dad sold the bike. He was such a good man and taught me so many life lessons. He was, and still is, my hero. We found a pretty cool picture of my dad and his 3 brothers together with my uncle's Indian. They are all gone now... View attachment 527693
Excellent pictures, both. Real keepers. I could see my dad in either one.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My dad lost the battle with leukemia October 11, 2014. I miss him every day. We never had the opportunity to ride together but whenever I ride I feel he is with me. The picture I use as my avatar is of my dad with little me perched on his Harley probably in the summer of 1961. When my sister came along a couple years later my dad sold the bike. He was such a good man and taught me so many life lessons. He was, and still is, my hero. We found a pretty cool picture of my dad and his 3 brothers together with my uncle's Indian. They are all gone now... View attachment 527693
I lost my dad to Leukemia in 1985 when I was 12 years old. He was a great guy. Bought me my first motorcycle, a 86 Kawasaki KX 80, about 6 months before he died. If it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't be riding today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.