VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Honda site for the Goldwing options and I ran across a bike I never seen. It is a DN-01 does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of this bike, it looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually they now list it as a cross over. It also has an automatice tranny, I wonder how that shifts? It brings back memories of my old Hondamatic...

·
Registered
457 Posts

It's been announced for quite some time now, and avaible since may last year. (1 year)
No 1st hand experience, but it's a "hate it or love it" bike. Tradionalists will hate it, even though it's not meant for them. (sort of people who can not accept a new crowd entering into the bike scene). It caters to a whole new market.
I'd love to ride one some day. I'm pretty enthousiastic about nifty tech-features (sorry, can't help it :p ), so it appeals to me. It's only problem: PRICE. Very, very expensive. But that has never bothered the fashion concious youngsters.
To help you out in your first impressions:
motorcycle.com review of the honda DN-01
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-honda-dn01-review-quick-ride-88080.html
EDIT: Sportbike? o_O It's definitely a cross-over. If you want a textbook example of a crossover, look no further: this is it.
The only automatic sportsbike worthy of that name is the Aprilia Mana.
From motorcycle.com on the DN-01=>
This "crossover" is meant to appeal to less-experienced riders, so it is fitted with an automatic transmission. Called HFT (Human Friendly Transmission), this is a continuously variable, hydro-mechanical design that is a big leap in technology above the simple belt-drive CVTs (continuously variable transmission) in scooters. Honda says its HFT provides comparable performance and efficiency to a manual gearbox.
@dsjr70: In the same links there's also a brief history of Honda Automatics bikes. It's worth a look.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Price is definetely a factor, 15k for a 680cc bike. I just caught that. For a couple of more dollars you can by an Yamaha FJR1300AE.

·
Registered
457 Posts

dsjr70 said:
Price is definetely a factor, 15k for a 680cc bike. I just caught that. For a couple of more dollars you can by an Yamaha FJR1300AE.
Not only that. If you're a tech savvy person and want to try out an automatic (i think it's actually pretty cool on big bike) there's the mana for 9599 dollar (or something like that)
Also pretty comfortable. The typical sit-up-and-beg Euro stance. Very relaxed (think honda CB750)
Make the DN-01 10k dollar, and they could really be onto something there. If not, most people will just buy the megascooter from Honda (or even a Fury if they want to stand out for less money)

·
Registered
609 Posts

Ewww floorboards on a "sportbike". Thank God for the automatic though, my shin muscles are soooo fatigued from all that bothersome shifting.... LOL
If it wasn't so ugly it would probably sell more.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MONKEY666 said:
If it wasn't so ugly it would probably sell more.
I remember saying that about another bike a couple of times.... The Vision grew on me after awhile and this one sort of grows on me because it stands out.
But on another subject I have finally decided on my new touring bike and it will be the Honda.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Speaking of Hondas....what do you think ofthat Fury chopper-esque bike they built? You know it'll be built ridiculously well, but the civilitywill probably take some of the fun out of the whole chopper thing. What confused me the most was that they put the 1300 instead of the 1800.

·
Registered
457 Posts

@MONKEY666
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_640/
;)
Look for my posts there. I've done a fair bit of commenting there as well, and I'm not going to repeat it all here :)
In short: 1300cc is not an issue for this bike. Read the comments. The 1800 would have been too big and heavy, radiator too big to tuck it neatly away, the 1300 can be redesigned a bit better (more visual parts on the top), more relaxed as a whole. Besides, it would have made the bike even more expensive.
Even OCC occasionally makes mid size bikes (older knuckleheads/panheads/shovelheads are about 1300cc as well and will not outperform this 1300). It fits perfectly well with the overall theme (relaxed bike!!)
It's only problem? The 1800cc torque monster named 'star raider' for the same kind of money.
Not even the shaft drive bothers me: it's clean, quiet, and maintenance free. From the looks of it, they could have produced cleaner welds on the frame head, but apart from that, this bike totally grew on me. (I've got a soft spot for reasonable and 'charming' bikes. Just right in terms of power, weight and easy to live with. Your perfect companion for a sunset ride after a hard days work, etc, etc...)
It grew on me :) (sadly though: no Fury's in Europe... What else is new :( )

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Here's a link to the Fury Thread:
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_640/

It was only a matter of time until a major manufacturer got into this market. Imagine a chopper-esque bike that is easy to service, reliable and can make an U-Turn!

For Honda's DN-01...I noticed that bike on its site a while back and I'm not sure what it is. A crossover is an interesting term for this bike, and the riding position looks fairly comfortable, but I'm not sure if it will catch on...especially at that price point. Maybe I'm wrong.

Or, possibly this bike could transform into a future Vision competitor? Maybe that's why they didn't give it a name and only a number. Possibly the next one is the DN-02, then the DN-03.

I was looking forward to seeing what they would be doing with the Goldwing, but it appears the major re-do won't happen for another year. I can only guess they will make it a bit more convertible with removable bags/trunk so that it will have more street applications. I guess we'll see about that later.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Oh I'm sure the 1300 would be a perfectly suited motor, it just seemed like an odd choice for what could've been a flagship model.
The Raider will give it fits in performance, but its so gawd-awfultacky (in true Yamaha cruiser fashion)I'd rather ride the Honda.
"Charming" huh? I like that. I'm gonna call someone's bike that.... LOL

·
Registered
457 Posts

Indeed, a crossover. And the rider triangle suggests 'cruiser' all over the place. (feet forward stance). So it's by no means a sportsbike as suggested before. In the same way that a v-rod or hammer are not sportsbikes. (sorry guys)
The DN-01 is more like a crossover between a cruiser themed bike and a megascooter. A cruiser for entry level people and people who don't want to deal with shifting/weight/handling, etc... And that's fine by me, I respect everyone. Can you see your local suburban doctor on a Vegas? In a sunshine state, he might always have desired the relaxing ride a bike offers, but never have gotten to the point of actually taking the plunge.
Enter the DN-01.
@MONKEY, hehe :) I'm too soft :p
Oh, and the GW needs to slim down a bit. Pronto. It's about as big as it can get for a two wheeled bike. It's getting out of hand. The 2011 GW should be lighter, more modular (and easier to modulate) and bring it back a few inches in overall dimensions. The clichés about the bike have some truth to them...

·
Registered
609 Posts

Megascooter hahahaha! I love that word! It seems like such a contradiction. If I buy one I'll have my Attack Pomeranian guard it!
If it wasn't so pricey it's be a great bike for my girlie to learn on.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well, I am all for a automatic bike after riding down Duval Street in Key West this weekend. What a pain clutching is in traffic, I don't know how you guys do it in the major cities.
But anyway, the bike looks cool and has what appears to be a acceptable riding position but I cant see a market for it at that price point. I mean it is actually more expensive then the Fury, any VTX including the 1800, every CBR and the same price as the ST1300. The only bike Honda sells that is more money is the Goldwing, this doesn't make sense to me that a 600 cost this much. Like I stated above you can get the Yamaha FLR Auto for about the same price with twice the motor or as Rider stated the Mana...
Well, I dont think we will see it for long...

·
Registered
457 Posts

I suppose it will get people on the dealer floor. Who will walk away with a fury or any other ride.
As long as the dealer doesn't order 20 at once, he'll be fine. Just to pull the buyers in...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.