VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Honda dealership is only a half a block away from the Indian dealership and I wanted to test ride the new 2018, Gold wing and the 2018 , Gold wing automatic. I also wanted to look at the Indian Scout , Bobber. . I've never been a fan of the Honda Gold Wing looks, but I really like the more streamlined look of 2018 , Gold Wing. :) After riding the Gold Wing that has a clutch and the duat automatic Gold Wing that has a paddle shift mode and an automatic shift mode also , I'd choose the Gold Wing , dual automatic. The Gold Wing with a clutch has an economy mode, wet mode, sport mode, and tour mode. I test rode both of these Gold Wings in sport mode. The Gold Wing dual automatic also has the same riding modes too. I talked to a guy at the Honda dealership that owned a 2018, Gold Wing ,dual automatic and he told me that the dual automatic Gold Wing was faster from a stop. He told me that he had raced one of his friends that has a 2018, Gold Wing, but with a clutch. He told me that his Six gears on the clutch Gold Wing and seven evenly spaced gears on the dual automatic Gold Wing. The seating position on the 2018 Gold Wings is more comfortable for me than the 2017 , Gold Wing that I test rode. I',m 5' 10 " and 172 pounds. Both Gold Wings sit much higher than my 2014, XCT. Compared to my XCT both Gold Wings that I test rode felt top heavy. The new front end really takes some getting used to ! The 2018 Gold Wing mufflers put out a nice low snarl whenever you wind out the gears hard. Nailing the throttle from a stop on the Gold Wing, dual automatic and in drive mode, really hits 75 mph in a hurry! The 1800 engine is silky smooth. I only was able to get a sustained speed of 80 mph and 90 mph for a very short time, and I was really impressed. I could reel off some serious miles on either one of these Gold Wings.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Needless to say; I'd buy the GW over a new Polaris Indian any day. Hard to beat the GW for open slab touring. The front end on this is just plain cool. It will need more maintenance than its telescopic brethren though.

The GW is really a riding man's bike for people who like to put a thousand or more miles on over a regular 2-day weekend.

If I could afford a stable of 5 or so bikes; this GW might very well be one of them for those long-haul get away times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.