High test | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

High test

Discussion in 'Victory Vegas' started by Zen3, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Zen3

Zen3 Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Vegas
    Probobly a really stupid question. But gotta ask. Can using super unleaded, supreme or whatever gas station your at, cause backfiring.

2. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Using too high an octane rated fuel causes incomplete burn and carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. The problems associated with this is usually hot spots that predetonate causing “ping”. Backfire, a true backfire, is fuel igniting in the cylinder while the intake valve is still open and the fire goes backwards, up the intake. I think something worse than carbon buildup would have to be present for this, but a mechanic can clarify that. Something else often called backfire is popping in the exhaust. This is when some unburnt fumes mix with fresh air and the heat from the pipes ignites it. Makes loud popping noises that sounds like backfire, but it’s relatively harmless and is usually the result of wide open exhaust pipes, header gasket leaks, or potentially intake leaks causing a lean condition. That last one is bad and should be fixed, the first two are mostly just annoying.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    YES! My Vision runs best on regular. If I put 93 octane in it it runs hotter pops and backfires. I have WD muscle mufflers, secondary air filter and a fuel tuner.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Yes, too much octane and you can end up with inburn't fuel in the pipes. Try 87 or 89 octane.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zen3

Zen3 Active Member

Vegas
    I didn’t want to say it, but I put reg unleaded in, and it seems all the backfiring came to a halt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Zen3

Zen3 Active Member

Vegas
    Thanks dudes, let’s see how long this low octane deal fixes my backfire fixation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    You may find some variation depending on weather too. Temps below 80 and my bike runs best on 87. Above that, like the seventh level of hell we’re in right now...it needs 91 to not ping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Ethanol free if able...

9. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    To

10. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I guess cause it’s so blasted hot down here all the time I can get away with 93. Ive seen the inside of my motor. My piston tops and yep carbon. No getting around it. Sure my bike runs fine even with 89/90. Op asked the question but no mention of the bikes fuel history. Just a fuel change shouldn’t have made that much of a difference especially with it being summer. I’d look to leakage of some type. When I put my motor back together just recently with new head gaskets and exhaust gaskets plus checking throttle body boot and making that area also good and tight…..I noticed a smoother running engine. Zero pop and very responsive. A tight motor makes all the difference.

11. rman

rman Active Member

04 victory kingpin
    Yes, backfire initiates in the exhaust and could be a lean or rich condition along with an exhaust leak you have the perfect condition for unburnt fuel to ignite and explode.The leak is sucking air into the exhaust. Short exhaust systems are more apt to have backfire.I can see where premium may add to the problem as it is slower burning if you have lower compression. You did not mention if you had mods or not as how your bike is set up is a big factor. The 106 motor, by the owners manual calls for premium fuel. That said if it don't ping on lower octane that is what to use. As others have said I run 89 in mine. It will run ok on 87 but does sound a little quieter on 89 and definitely in hot weather. It runs ok on 93 but I do notice a small loss in gas mileage .Does not backfire at all on it though. I do have a S&S air filter and the x-bow exhaust and fuel controller. I will get some light popping on decel regardless of what octane I use.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Hell boys I pay extra for the decel burble in my cages... Three of em anyway.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Zen3

Zen3 Active Member

Vegas
    Sorry guys. I have been busy vacationing with the rug rats. The update is that the pop started today again. I replaced the exaust gaskets. It works for a short time then pop. I tighten them up and it gets better. Then in a day or so awhile it pops. It’s better. But not once in awhile. It’s pretty frequent. I pulled the plugs. Much to my surprise there was tons of carbon build up. The plugs are pretty new within the past month or so. I’m convinced it’s the exhaust. Can someone give me a in service on exaust gasket installation. Is it as easy as putting them in and tightening down the part that squeezes it to the head? Can it press unevenly? Can you use 2 gaskets for each cylinder Also I realized that the little red nipple in the fuel filler hole in the tank is ripped off at the top. Not sure how it when it happened. Its found it in the rim of the tank. So it’s not in the tank. Any connection with the issues I could be having. I want to buy a new cap assembly anyway. But can’t find one I like. And I can’t find on the parts list of any web site that just sells the nipple