High speed throttle issue | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

High speed throttle issue

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by rman, Aug 18, 2020.

1. rman

rman Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    04 victory kingpin
    I am currently having an issue that I think is fuel related. I will be cruising in 6th at 75, 80 mph and if I just slightly open the throttle to just maintain speed the bike will not peed up and slightly stumble as If running too lean or starting to running out of gas. If I give it moderate throttle from there it takes right off. I first noticed this last year and passed it of as wind turbulence as it was minor. It does seem to be getting worse. Had it happen in 5th today at around 3000 rpm. Bike runs fine, idles perfect. Pulls strong going thru gears on a hard throttle. Seems to be just the load at that rpm range. The bike is a 2011 with only 11k so I'm sure it did alot of sitting before I got it. It has got an S&S airbox, EJK controller, also the aftermarket screw on type gas cap . Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. tree1979

tree1979 Well-Known Member

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Wonder if it was ever tuned after the new intake was installed. Would check the throttle body adapter as well.

3. rman

rman Active Member

04 victory kingpin
    The original owner had the S&S installed along with the pipes, I can only assume it was re-mapped. I installed the fuel controller as the idle would surge up and down It was so lean, that cured it. And the plugs showed it was way lean.
    I did go over the vacuum lines and t-body adapters visual and sprayed, all seem good.

4. tree1979

2007 Victory Kingpin
    What kind of controller, and was it actually tuned on a Dyno?

5. rman

rman Active Member

04 victory kingpin
    Dobeck, EJK controller, no dyno ,

6. tree1979

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Those controllers are only able to add fuel during certain RPM ranges. You may have a condition that is excessively lean or rich. It's best to get a true dyno done and would recommend a better tuner. For the '11 you would be better off with a Maximus tuner and have it remotely tuned.

Does it stutter when you hit the throttle hard at lower gears and speed?

7. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    @rman Let me ask you a question or two. Do you do most or a lot of your riding at 3,000RPM? If so, is it possible that this problem is occuring at other RPMs as well but you simply don't notice because you're usually steady throttle at 3,000RPM?

I am not an expert, but am experienced with the problem you described. IMO, I would check these things in this order:
    1. Your piggy back fuel controller - it likely has multiple connection points. Inspect each and every one of them very closely. Maybe consider disconnecting and reconnect each one.
    2. Check your fuel filter and the pump itself - make sure filters are clean and supplied pressure is per spec for your model
    3. Super duper rare on the newer bikes like your 2011, but it could be throttle position sensor related (again not likely but possible)

The bike you're currently riding according to your profile is a 2004 Kingpin... Which model is your 2011?

8. rman

rman Active Member

04 victory kingpin
    Currently riding the 2011 Kingpin ... And I am Pretty sure problem solved. Yea I was thinking possibly the filters and also disconnecting the controller all together to see if that would fix it. I decided first to go thru the controller settings. When I scrolled threw the switch point settings I noticed the green was set to 1 instead of .5,or 0 which ever you wish to call it. I must have bumped it up by mistake at some point. It is easy to mistake as when at 1 the green/blue is flashing and at .5 the green is a rapid flash, but both the same light. Anyway I set it back to .5 and tried to replicate the issue and couldn't get it to do it. So right now the bike is running fine again.I'm just happy I didn't have to start pulling the fuel pump or other things on a guess. .... and no, steady 3,000 rpm,no. Most of my riding is off highway so I am usually well under that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Good deal man and happy you found the issue. I'm not familiar with that style controller, but it sounds like a very easy fix. Congrats and good find!