VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is due for an oil change. I usually do this myself, but with the 8,000 miles on the bike, I am wondering if I should take the bike to a shop. I am a certified aircraft mechanic, snap-on are as basic as a fork and a knife to me. Question is... is the extra money involved in a detailed inspection and 8,000 mile tune-up (and possibly Dyno and tune of my Anger Management EMI) worth it? I know a lot of maintenance can't be written on paper cause it is based on personal feel and experience. Should I sacrifice this professionalism and do it myself (I have the tools and the resources, just lacking the experience with this machine).

·
Super Moderator
26,136 Posts
Usually the shop fees seem ridiculous to me for what they do.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
...I have heard enough horror stories of dealers missing and neglecting thing that I would never rely on them for basic maintenance ... plus : by doing your own maintenance you are in touch with your bike; I also recommend clutch cable cleaning and lube at the same time :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Do it yourself.
Clean and lube just both ends of the clutch cable at every oil change.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I also recommend clutch cable cleaning
What's that? I understand that the cables inside the tubes are permanently lubed and not to add anything else into them. Just clean and re-lube both ends.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
...I have heard enough horror stories of dealers missing and neglecting thing that I would never rely on them for basic maintenance ... plus : by doing your own maintenance you are in touch with your bike
^^^ This ^^^

No better time to become familiar with your bike than at maintainence time! If you have the tools and ability, it is just a matter of learning about your bike. Get a service manual if you don't already have one and do it yourself. There are great dealerships out there with excellent mechanics, but there are also dealerships that hire guys right out of highschool that know even less about your bike than you do.

• Winner
Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
17,947 Posts
Go ahead and buy a service manual, but the owners manual will do ya for this one... I and several others let the shop do the 500 mile, have done my own since.

Just don,t say the “O-word”.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep, just do it yourself. I let the shop do it at 500 miles and then I got it back and they had dropped something on the primary and put a dimple in my chrome. When I changed it my self at 5000 miles they didn't put a copper washer back on the oil pan bolt. I don't trust stealerships for reasons just like this. Let's be honest , at 48 yrs old and owner of 15 different bikes from different companies, I have realized most shops don't have mechanics who give a ****.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.