VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi neighbors, leaving from Detroit area next Friday to Owen Sound. We're riding up Friday and then looking to do a day ride near Owen Sound on Saturday before our return on Sunday. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Bikendad,
I live an hour west of Owen Sound, and will probably be home that weekend, not trying to barge in, but if you run into problems or need to call, or want someone to ride with, I can PM you my home number.
There is also a Vic dealer in OS, Thomboys Powersports.
http://www.tbpowersports.com/

Going North of OS is CR-1, it follows the bay to Wiarton, to confuse you this is also called Grey Rd 26, this route is about 1 hr long with lots of twisties and good pavement. You'll have to keep a watch for cottages pulling out of their driveway, but all in all it's a good run.

Just before Wiarton is the Bruce Caves, they are not big like in Kentucky, but unique to the Niagara Escarpment. Here is a web link
http://www.wiarton.ca/caves/

From Wiarton, go north on #6 to Tobermory, it's famous for diving and glass bottom boat tours. There is a good fish and chip restaurant overlooking the harbour, sorry don't remember the name. On the other side of the harbour is a small Kiosk that sells Beaver Tails, a Canadian treat, hint, save room for them as they are a filling desert, this is a must if your like sugar.
Here is a link for the top things to do in Tobermory
http://www.brucepeninsula.org/top40.html

The other good area is the Kimberly Valley and Ted's Road Range Diner. Take Grey Rd 13S from Highway 26 (this is not the same 26 as above). This route will take you past ski hills, golf courses and nice scenery. If you are in this area, you must go to Ted's, it's world famous, no kidding, people from all over Europe have heard of it and go there because of it's menu and uniqueness. This guy makes his own ketchup, salad dressings and has a exotic meats and well as regular foods. It doesn't look like much, but usually on a weekend you need reservations, check the link it has his menu.
http://www.meaford.com/teds/index.htm

Collingwood and Thornbury area has many apple orchards and great scenic roads, if it's a sunny day, all you can smell on the backroads are apples. there is also the Collingwood Caves
http://www.sceniccaves.com/

You might as well partake in the Ride the Bruce Passport, basically it has several areas you need to stop at and get your ticket punched, all can be done in a day, (full day) and gives you the chance to win great prizes, it also is designed for bikers, so the best roads, and attractions are listed. You can get this at any Information Booth in the towns.
http://www.ridegreybruce.com/index.php

There are several waterfalls in the area as well as very old lighthouses, all these have their own travel routes, which also can be picked up at an information booth.

Highway 21 from Sarnia to Owensound has new pavement in many stretches, from Kincardine to Port Elgin, there is some light construction, one lanes, controlled by temporary traffic lights, which will not delay you much, but good to know.

Let me know if you need more info
brian

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, this is what I was looking for! I'm going to print this off and show it to the guys I'm heading up there with. Go ahead and pm me your number. I'm not the leader of this ride but we'll see what happens.

Thanks again, Steve

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

bikendad said:
Hi neighbors, leaving from Detroit area next Friday to Owen Sound. We're riding up Friday and then looking to do a day ride near Owen Sound on Saturday before our return on Sunday. Any suggestions?
Now that Canadu has replied there is no sense me replying to your thread, you would be up here for a week.
OT

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info but no good strip bars up there ;-)

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Not that I would know or anything, but Canuck women are some of the most beautiful I have ever met, so I'm guessing that their strip clubs would be pretty good.......but that is purely just a guess..... :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
bikendad said:
You never asked about the Ballet and don't ask how I know so much

Stay away from the bar is Owen Sound, you don't need the details, just trust me on this one.

Go to Hanover, the bar is called Danny's, mainly Quebec girls, very clean, and the food is good for roadhouse menu
http://www.tuscl.net/d.php?DID=1535
Its an hour drive, go south on 6 from OS, then West on 4 to Hanover, North on 7th Ave

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
OneThumb said:
bikendad said:
Sent you PM.
.......because those kinds of places would be bad to the Mayor's image. We don't need any political scandals in Vogville. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
We have Ballet in Ont... Well I'll be d_ _ _ _ _

I never knew... :)

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, just got back yesterday afternoon, beautiful country up there! Brian, didn't call you as we weren't keeping any kind of a schedule and so didn't know how to put things together. For instance, we didn't get on the road until 11:00 am Saturday to drive up to Tobemore as I couldn't get those other 2 guys I was with moving! We ended up taking highway 1 along the coast, beautiful ride there!!! We then rode up to the Grotto off of Cypress Lk Rd and hiked in, this is a must do. I went to the Vic dealer Saturday morning while I was waiting for the other 2 to get ready and can't say enough about how friendly they were. I bought a couple little things from Sue the owner and she threw in 2 Victory bandana's, said they give them to all the Victory riders. Sue went on to say that there are 65 Victory's in the area but they have only sold 4, all Cross Country's. You guys up there around Owen Sound need to give them more business!! All in all the roads were great traveling, no potholes and light traffic for the most part. It was also refreshing to go past the police at 20km over and not have them come after us :). Here in Michigan all we have are potholes and police writing chicken **** tickets all day long. Loved the food at "Shorty's" in Owen Sound and the girls there are pretty and very friendly. We ended up eating dinner there both nights. Had a great time and plan to go back next year.

P.S. Never made it to the ballet :-(
P.S.S. Forgot to mention the Vic! The XC never missed a beat and was a pure pleasure to tour on, this bike really comes into its own on the open road for sure! My HD buddies were also impressed on how easy it was to change the speedo over to kph from mph, I was elected ride leader at the bluewater bridge into Canada on that point!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.