VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andy,
Weather has changed, wheres the new bike. Also did not know that Don got a Honda Fury. When did you get that???

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I have a few things on the plate right now that I have to be completed before I can think of a new bike.

I have been looking around though!

DSJR70 is in Daytona now test riding a few bikes for me! And yes, he's had that Fury since they first came out.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Nessie044 said:
Andy said:
DSJR70 is in Daytona now test riding a few bikes for me!
See, Andy, this is why you're our hero. You're the onlyperson we know of who has a Personal Shopper for motorcycles.
....and not just anyone can have that job. Don was the only one to apply based on vertical acceleration limitations.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
bubba said:
...........Also did not know that Don got a Honda Fury. When did you get that???
I think the first Bush was still in the White House for that purchase.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
O.K. Andy, atleast let us in on what the contenders are!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
bikendad said:
O.K. Andy, atleast let us in on what the contenders are!
That's a fair question, so I'll do my best to address my current thoughts.

First, I'm waiting for a Victory Demo truck date so that I can check out a Cross Country. I've already owned a Vision and while it's a contender, I'm not too sure about getting another one. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike and the favorite of all I've owned in the past.

However, the Vision I owned was an 08 and in 09 Victory made a slight change to the bars where they are a tad higher and a bit further away. While this was a welcomed change to most riders (and probably not-noticed by most riders), being vertically challenged (and with a neck that doesn't need the additional strain), that small adjustment did change the ergonomics for me.

I should also point out that I'm hoping a Victory dealer opens a bit closer to where I live. Yes, there's one North of me, but it's not that conveniently located. There's been some rumors floating around about a new dealership or two opening in my area, but nothing has been confirmed. Until they open, they are just rumors.

A very kind VOG Member offered me the usage of his Cross Country that had already been modified with many of the changes I would make. While I appreciated his offer, I find it best not to ride other folks' bikes as there's too much that can go wrong.

From other manufacturers: The Kawasaki Vaquero has captured my attention. Before you start calling me names, you need to understand the riding climate of South Florida and know that IF the water-cooled engine does in fact operate cooler, then I can add a month or two to my riding season. I also like the Kawasaki Voyager and there are some great deals on that model right now. I haven't ridden either model.

A Harley? Probably not. But since the Ultra models (I don't know the H-D alphabet) have a lower seat height than they did just a few years ago, I should go test ride one to rule it out. Maybe Candu can give me an opinion on this choice. There is a dealer nearby.

That new BMW tourer has caught my attention, but I'm to understand that it's a year away. And, I'll have to check out the seat height.

Who knows when Honda will reveal it's restyled Goldwing? I owned one in the past and enjoyed it on the highways...but not around town. I'm guessing this will be addressed in the next generation.

Finally, the Can-Am Spyder RT is still on the watch list. Yes, I had a number of issues of the one I owned last season, but the factory rep is stating that they have been addressed in the 2011 models. But, the 2011 RT won't be in dealerships for a couple of months to take a test ride to see if I'd take that leap again.

So now you know as much as I do.

I'm also in the middle of a fairly major home and home/office remodeling project and that is affecting the timing of my decision as there's a bunch of building materials getting ready to be stored in my garage. But when that's done, just wait until you see the new VOG World Headquarters!

I'm hoping to get back on a bike this season, but if not, hopefully I can work on my golf game. It's difficult to schedule riding and golf as both want to be done on the same pretty days.

So, there you have it. The straight scoop. Input is welcomed.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Thanks for the insight Andy! I would think the XC would be a lot cooler and "airy" for you compared to the Vision, the XC is an awesome all around bike if you're only going to own 1 bike. I can pretty much guarantee you will want pull back bars however as I have to reach for them and I'm 6'1".

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
bikendad said:
Thanks for the insight Andy! I would think the XC would be a lot cooler and "airy" for you compared to the Vision, the XC is an awesome all around bike if you're only going to own 1 bike. I can pretty much guarantee you will want pull back bars however as I have to reach for them and I'm 6'1".
About the XC being cooler and more "airy" than the Vision, perhaps some others can chime-in on this topic.

From all the posts here, it seems that the XC will need a replacement windscreen and the lowers to minimize buffeting. If that's correct, then how does that affect the XC rider from getting too much engine heat in warmer climates?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Andy said:
bikendad said:
About the XC being cooler and more "airy" than the Vision, perhaps some others can chime-in on this topic.

From all the posts here, it seems that the XC will need a replacement windscreen and the lowers to minimize buffeting. If that's correct, then how does that affect the XC rider from getting too much engine heat in warmer climates?
The difference is you don't have the large heat holding in fairing on the XC. You get a ton of air thru those crash wings. I have the tall w/shield and the small winglets on the top of the crash bar and that combo does a good job or stopping most of the buffeting. I'm sure the large lowers would even work better but how much cool air you would loose out on I don't know. Is the bike hot in 90 degree heat sitting at a light, you bet but once you get moving on the XC you get LOTS of air. I know that when I install the soft lowers that block off the large opening in the crash wing the bike is a LOT warmer as well as eliminating buffeting for the most part.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can answer a couple of your questions about the upcoming BMW as I have my eye on it as well and have researched it a bit. There is a 12 minute video of it in HD that really shows it off. But, to your questions - the bike is supposed to be released to US dealers for April 2011, not a year away. They are supposedly going to accept deposits in January. The seat height on the full tour version (the GTL) is 29.5" and is adjustable. The bags and trunk are easily removed for riding. The biggest unknown for now is the cost. Most reliable sources are guessing a low of 22/23K to a high of 29 fully loaded. But that is all guesswork. Supposedly they have reworked the Final Drive so that it is much improved over previous LT models that had issues. Personally, I'm impressed on paper, but am waiting to see the real thing before putting the Vision up for sale.

Edit - here's a site with lots of specs on it, some nice photos and short versions of the 12 minute video. BMW K1600 GTL

Edit #2 - here's the full 12 minute video:

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I like the new Kawasaki as well Andy, but I have never ridden a Kawasaki before....other than a Ninja, and that is not exactly a comparison of any kind.

Living in Arizona, I could see myself owning a Cross Country someday.

·
Registered
463 Posts
ANDY The Voyager??? Worse bike I ever owned bar none, 3 weeks I got lucky to find a buyer, cheap, cheap cheap, flimsy, nosiy power train, thought the tranny was coming out every shift. I rode it 3000kms in 2 1/2 weeks and came hopme and luckily..SOLD IT!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

Howdy Andy, in the last 4 weeks I've been to 2-victory demo days & 1-H.D.demo days, so here's my 2cents on feed back
Vic demo#1,in prescott,az: only rode the crosscountry's 1-w/the small stock wind screen,and the other w/ the tall wind screen & fork lower's, the small wind screen XC bike after 60-65mph made my head feel like it was bolted into a paint-shaker machine, very noticeable BUFFETING, the XC bike w/ the tall screen, and lowers there was no buffeting. even at 80-85 mph
at the VIC demo #2 in tuscon,az (this time with the wife riding passenger)
I compared the XC w/tall screen &lowers vs the vision tour (both with a passenger)
feedback: the XC has a lower center of gravity, so it feels "lighter" than the vision,(esp. w/ a passenger) and I didnt feel any heat comming of the engine on the XC, the XC also felt more comfortable than the vision, more "CUSHY" I was a little surprised by that because the vision is VIC'S comfort flagship,
The wife also liked the comfort & feel of the XC more than the vision
#3 H.D. demo, rode the rocker"C" it was a fun,lite feeling bike to ride, in town a good bar-hopper type of bike, not a touring type, Then I rode the screaming eagle "STREET-GLIDE" w/ 110" motor & all kinds of H.D. factory bling on it, it costs $$36,000.00 way over priced in my book, the VIC XC out preformed it in comfort, acceleration,handling,looks,price,etc,etc. I also noticed that the H.D.'s were way more hotter than the vic's I'm 5'8 so I think that's close to your height, my vote goes to the XC over any of'em.....there's my 2 cents of feed back, hope it helped

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hi Andy
I've been holding off comparing the 08 Vision to the 10 Ultra Limited with the 103 engine, my intent is to provide a fair review once I slow down. But here is a condensed synopsis.

Vic is a more powerful motor, but I despised the roar of the intake. The HD is actually quieter, less valve train clatter, and starts the way a motor should, instead of the annoying Chrysler Slant 6 starter sound. They exhaust has a pleasant sound, louder than the stock Vic, but quieter than a stage 1. Your neighbours will love you.

The new HD's have redone their exhaust plumbing to reduce rider felt heat and it also has the rear cylinder management system, where the rear jug shuts down at idle to reduce heat, and it becomes an air pump cooling the motor further. Also added is a heat deflector under the seat. I haven't ridden in hot temps yet, but I'm sure it can't be any worse that the Vision.

The lower fairing is vented so you can direct cooling air to your legs, or close them if you are cold. There are also adjustable vents on the batwing fairing too.

Vibration at idle is higher with the HD, but at speed or WOT it's about the same as the Vic. Mirrors are perfectly clear.

HD transmission is smoother and shifts quieter
HD switches are more glove friendly

Radio, I get clean AM, pull in remote FM well, have a CD player that also plays MP3 CDs so you can burn a CD in MP3 format and get 10 hrs of music on it. The display will show the artist's name, song title, and track number. Built in intercom and a Breaker Breaker good buddy if you care to use it, included is one head set. There is also an AUX plug so you can plug in your MP3 player or GPS. You don't have control of the MP3 player as you do with the Vic's iPod interface, but you can buy it from HD for $$$$$$.

12VDC plug in the trunk. Trunk is lined, and it came with all 3 tote liners for the bags and trunk. The locking mechanisms are A1

ABS, security system, trunk rack, extra chrome, premium gauges, chromed wheels and heated grips included.

Fit and finish are paramount, all wiring is neatly routed, and secured. Take a look down the Vision's centre counsel to see what I'm talking about.

HD has a one size fits all philosophy. At first I felt cramped, but not uncomfortable. I now realize other than adding a backrest any other modification to the ergonomics would be fruitless as it's fine as is.

First service was done today at an Indy shop, just under $200.00. It was due at 1,000 miles. Engine oil changes are 5,000 miles, primary is 10,000 miles and transmission is 15,000 miles. I had them use Shell Rotella T, a diesel engine oil (approved by HD), it was $13.00 for 4 quarts, yes all 4 quarts, not one. HD air filter is washable and reusable, better for the environment.

Vics service life for the drive belt and pulleys are 25,000 miles, there is no service limit with HD.

I have no wind buffeting even though I look over the top of the windscreen, but the Vision has better wind management, as the HD allows air between the lower and upper fairings, which blasts your knees with fresh air. Probably a plus in you hotter climate.

HD has Brembo brakes, on par with Vics

Handling; Vissions because of their long wheelbase and rake angle make you feel more confident at high speed turns, but are slower to react when a change is required, i.e. debris on the road. HD's are very flickable at both high speed and low speed and responds very quickly to rider input, there is no lag. The HD felt almost toy like when I first starting riding it, as I had forgotten how easy they are to ride.

Gas mileage is about the same as the Vision.
Seat is comfortable
Lighting is better with the Vision, (HID), but HD sells LED headlights that are super bright for about the same $$ as it costs to add the HID to the Vic. The rear lights are better on the HD.

Trunk and side bags, HD wins this one without question. Top loading is nicer, sides are easily removed with 2 quarter turn fasteners, hinges and locks are superior.

Sorry if this sounded bias. its how I see it
brian

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Candubrain said:
Hi Andy
I've been holding off comparing the 08 Vision to the 10 Ultra Limited with the 103 engine, my intent is to provide a fair review once I slow down. But here is a condensed synopsis.

Vic is a more powerful motor, but I despised the roar of the intake. The HD is actually quieter, less valve train clatter, and starts the way a motor should, instead of the annoying Chrysler Slant 6 starter sound. They exhaust has a pleasant sound, louder than the stock Vic, but quieter than a stage 1. Your neighbours will love you.

The new HD's have redone their exhaust plumbing to reduce rider felt heat and it also has the rear cylinder management system, where the rear jug shuts down at idle to reduce heat, and it becomes an air pump cooling the motor further. Also added is a heat deflector under the seat. I haven't ridden in hot temps yet, but I'm sure it can't be any worse that the Vision.

The lower fairing is vented so you can direct cooling air to your legs, or close them if you are cold. There are also adjustable vents on the batwing fairing too.

Vibration at idle is higher with the HD, but at speed or WOT it's about the same as the Vic. Mirrors are perfectly clear.

HD transmission is smoother and shifts quieter
HD switches are more glove friendly

Radio, I get clean AM, pull in remote FM well, have a CD player that also plays MP3 CDs so you can burn a CD in MP3 format and get 10 hrs of music on it. The display will show the artist's name, song title, and track number. Built in intercom and a Breaker Breaker good buddy if you care to use it, included is one head set. There is also an AUX plug so you can plug in your MP3 player or GPS. You don't have control of the MP3 player as you do with the Vic's iPod interface, but you can buy it from HD for $$$$$$.

12VDC plug in the trunk. Trunk is lined, and it came with all 3 tote liners for the bags and trunk. The locking mechanisms are A1

ABS, security system, trunk rack, extra chrome, premium gauges, chromed wheels and heated grips included.

Fit and finish are paramount, all wiring is neatly routed, and secured. Take a look down the Vision's centre counsel to see what I'm talking about.

HD has a one size fits all philosophy. At first I felt cramped, but not uncomfortable. I now realize other than adding a backrest any other modification to the ergonomics would be fruitless as it's fine as is.

First service was done today at an Indy shop, just under $200.00. It was due at 1,000 miles. Engine oil changes are 5,000 miles, primary is 10,000 miles and transmission is 15,000 miles. I had them use Shell Rotella T, a diesel engine oil (approved by HD), it was $13.00 for 4 quarts, yes all 4 quarts, not one. HD air filter is washable and reusable, better for the environment.

Vics service life for the drive belt and pulleys are 25,000 miles, there is no service limit with HD.

I have no wind buffeting even though I look over the top of the windscreen, but the Vision has better wind management, as the HD allows air between the lower and upper fairings, which blasts your knees with fresh air. Probably a plus in you hotter climate.

HD has Brembo brakes, on par with Vics

Handling; Vissions because of their long wheelbase and rake angle make you feel more confident at high speed turns, but are slower to react when a change is required, i.e. debris on the road. HD's are very flickable at both high speed and low speed and responds very quickly to rider input, there is no lag. The HD felt almost toy like when I first starting riding it, as I had forgotten how easy they are to ride.

Gas mileage is about the same as the Vision.
Seat is comfortable
Lighting is better with the Vision, (HID), but HD sells LED headlights that are super bright for about the same $$ as it costs to add the HID to the Vic. The rear lights are better on the HD.

Trunk and side bags, HD wins this one without question. Top loading is nicer, sides are easily removed with 2 quarter turn fasteners, hinges and locks are superior.

Sorry if this sounded bias. its how I see it
brian
Pretty good comparison from my experience. I do however feel cramped on the HD at 6'1" and you won't beat the bags or trunk on the XC for roominess or ease of use IMO. The HD bags are smaller than the XC's and they're a pain to latch and un-latch at times.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
bikendad said:
Pretty good comparison from my experience. I do however feel cramped on the HD at 6'1" and you won't beat the bags or trunk on the XC for roominess or ease of use IMO. The HD bags are smaller than the XC's and they're a pain to latch and un-latch at times.
I'm 6'6" with 36" legs, Yes I have seen the XC bags, they're huge. I've never experienced the difficulty in bag removal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.