VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
read the topic like the Lou Costello 'Hey Abbott'(us older guys will get it).

Anyhow since you're a gadget guy and the new Victory Cross bikes don't have fork locks, key or hoops, maybe this would be a good time to see if we can get some good honest reviews on disc locks, which for me seem to fall under a gadget territory.

I've only used one once and didn't think much about it since it was a rental bike anyhow, but there seems to be so many out there with all over the map price ranges as well.

I'd be interested to know other's people experiences or maybe some of your journalist friends may have reviewed some of these at some point?

The Xena's seem to be the beefiest construction/most tamper proof but I've never seen one in person. I've seen the tri locks which look kind of easy to get through.

So lets kick some ideas of here with the understanding that if someone really wants your bike they'll get it, but if there's anyway to slow them down.

I know a quick rise racing jack will quickly lift the bike to put a trolley wheel under the front tire than use push away which would end the single lock usefulness.

Dual ones on the the cross roads would be nice since you could put the bag on, lock, then lock the back denying real easy access, but still.

Not that I'm too worried but when I travel I never really know where or what kind of area I'm staying in.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I've never used a disc lock. I figure that if someone really wants your bike, they'll find a way to take it. Here's my experience:

In the late 1990's, I had a condo in South Beach, but was traveling constantly. I was able to get down there about five or six days per month. I had two bikes in Florida: a Road King and a Yamaha scooter. (The scooter was great for the South Beach area as you could park them just about anywhere).

When I would head out of town, I had a very heavy, industrial chain that I would string through both of the front tires and around a concrete support beam in the parking garage. Both bikes would also be covered.

After a long trip, I returned for some R and R and headed to the garage to take a ride. It was then that I noticed (or more aptly, stunned) that the chain had been cut and while the Road King was there, the Scooter was missing.

Personally, I thought the H-D was more at risk than the small scooter. Boy was I wrong about that one. Evidently, the culprits could easily lift the scooter on a truck and get in and out without being noticed. While the building had cameras for security, the Management was useless and wouldn't take the time to figure this one out.

The good news is that both were insured and the scooter was replaced.

Yes, that doesn't answer your question about disc locks, so maybe some one else will chime in with some valid recommendations.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I agree with Andy, if they're serious about taking your bike it's a goner. Keep it insured, ride more and worry less.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I had a rotor lock on my Hyabusa as a back up security system. One day I happen to forget about it and took off gunning it. Not a real found memory and over 3k in repairs. Never again, if they want the bike come take it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
+1 on the Roadlok. I have one on my Jackpot and really like it. Installs very easily and all I have to carry is the pin (and the key I guess!), not a full lock. As OneThumb says, a regular disk lock can rotate. So if you forget to take it off you can go a couple of feet before it rotates around, smacking you fork, causing you to tip over and any resulting damage from either. If you forget to take the pin out of the Roadloc all that's going to happen is that you will stall the bike when you take off.

Also they were at the AVR and I was having an issue with mine, user error most likely. Anyway they swapped out the pin for me on the spot checked everything over and gave me a couple of tips to reinstall it at no cost. Great guys and real helpful which is a definite plus, imo.

Here's a pic of mine installed. I can take some more if you're interested

OneThumb said:
Disc locks work, Disc Locks can cause damage, they allow the wheel to rotate until they hit something solid, either swing armor the brake caliper. Damage can be a bent rotor or disc, also heavy to carry around.
RoadLoc makes one that mounts to the front forks, no wheel movement when locked.
Links to check out

http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_3070/
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_920/
NOTE: RoadLoc does have a Group Buy Program

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know a Vic owner that had 3 front rotors replaced until Lloyd figured out it was the use of a disc lock. I have 1 but have only used it once. The only motel that did not allow me to park out front. The other choice is a motel with a lot of HDs because most thieves can turn the parts over fast.
The only device my insurance company will give me a price break on is LoJack. So why waste the money?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Boy, am I glad to live in Maine where we don't need to consider extreme measures to protect our rides. Maybe Porttland would be more of a problem, but the rural areas
are very safe. As was pointed out, 4 guys and a truck will bypass any lock you use.
Bring it in the motel room with you, in those nasty places.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have one and use it on road trips. Plus I bought a Master Cable lock of about 6'. I use both in certain times and lock the disc and use the cable to secure it to a fixed object. Never had a bike stolen yet, unless you count when I was 16 and left the keys in the bike and some friends decided to teach me a lesson.. ya ya ya, I learned.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am coming to conclusion that if someone wants you bike bad enough they are gonna take it. 1st, make sure you have good insurance. 2nd, Disc locks are of very little security if a thief uses a dolley for the front wheel. I decided on a custom center stand made by Kingbagger on the VMC. It allows for the use of a padlock when it's in the up position. That may perceived as a big enough PITA that a would be thief may pass it by. No guarantees mind you, but that is my rationale.

FYI Kingbagger makes them for JP, KP, and the new XC and CR's.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
WTF is a lock???

It's not a Harley! No one knows what a Vic is. Ya don't need that crap.

I dunno maybe I am naive or live in nice part of town or something. I locked up my bike 1 time with that bitchen Victory padlock. What a pain. I pay my insurance and added on extra for my packs bags, helmet, gps etc.

If I'm on a road trip I ask for a room I am near my bike or can see it. I've been on jobs where I had to leave my bike miles away. I park next to the Harley LOL

The big thing to remember is TAKE YOUR KEY OUT!!!

Have good insurance cuz if someone really wants your bike it's gone! I just took the 55 Alive class and got more discount on my insurance for that.(Hard to believe since I'm swearing I'm 29) MSF gives you more insurance discounts.

I keep all my Kury bags on etc. I'm not a dummy bout parking but when going grocery shopping I don't take my GPS off, I put my $600 helmet over it. Granted I live in a decent area BUT....

Maybe I'm too trusting. I do bring helmet in if on road trip, take GPS off etc.

Knock on wood

OHHH YEAAH! I do have a long cable lock that I use at times to run thru the sleeve of my jacket and riding pants if goin "out & about". That Vic lock works well then!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have no worries about someone stealing it from my house, than again I have no worries most of the time when I'm traveling however on occasion you just don't know the area you're staying in too well.

Just the fact that they can roll these new models away makes me a little uncomfortable.

Sure they'll get it if they want it, but I'd at least like to make them work a little bit at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.