VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During Hurricane Harvey lightning hit my house causing all kinds of power issues. Anyway decided to go for a quick ride for some therapy time and forgot the the battery tender was hooked up to the bike through the accessory plug, 2014 Cross Country. Went to start and nothing at all. Where do I start first with the trouble-shooting?

1. JUST AN FYI - I know nothing about electrical but need help trying to figure this out please.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Battery. Always start at the source.
BUT you may want to check fuses first just for the fun.
Good chance the strike went thru the tender & "shocked" it enuf to warp a plate.
Testing bike batteries can be inaccurate, if you have anybody that can loan you a battery to do a swap that would be best.

There is also a circuit breaker by the battery that may been damaged.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about taking it out and having it checked nbut because I had the trickle charger plugged into the accessory outlet I figured it might have blown or fried something between there and the battery.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It could have but probably wouldn't keep the bike from starting.

Is the whole bike dead? Gauges, lights & everything
or
Just won't start?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EVERYTHING is dead

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
You could put a volt meter to the battery and see if you even have enough voltage, if any. If you do go to fuses. You pretty much need 11.8v to turn over. Somewhere in the 11.4v. area you get nothing. Sorry for your troubles. I was stranded out here after a hurricane, 2002 in FL. took literally everything. Hope this helps. Good luck....

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
OK
Couple of choices based on your comfort & knowledge zone.
You can try jumping the terminals on the circuit breaker, if it is the problem you will get power at least to the lights & gauges, don't try starting the bike. If you get lights replace the circuit breaker.

If no lights replace the battery. Testing bike batteries is not very accurate.

Bear in mind that even if you replace both of those items you may still have other electrical issues such as the charging system.
Bike may start & run but may not charge the battery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay how do I do this, just touch both post at the same time with a screwdriver? And I'm assuming the circuit breaker is right next to the battery on the positive side?

And thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
You got it but you will need two people, one to hold the screwdriver & one to turn the key on.

OR you can make a jumper wire with aligator clips. can buy one already made up at a parts store.
Remember not to try to start the bike with that set up or you will probably melt the jumper.
You are just seeing if the breaker blew not trying to run the bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay did that and still nothing. So get a new battery?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Not conclusive that it is the battery it may still be something else.
A test light or better yet a multi meter on the battery would help.
If that is not available then pull the battery & take it to parts store that can test it for you.
Or borrow a battery you can hook up temporarily to see if you get lights.
You could even use a car battery & jump cables but take the old battery out first. (Can explain why if you want)

If you hook up a known good battery & still don't have lights then the problem could be a tough one to figure out & may be shop time.

There is something floating around in my head that just doesn't seem right.
I'm not sure that a battery tender hooked to the bike that got an electrical surge would be enough to damage the bike.
A lot of electrical devices have a built in fuse that blows when surged.

If the bike or the house was direct hit by lightning it would make more sense.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay new battery started the bike but nothing on the dash ( instruments, tach, speedometer, etc. ) is working

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Checked all fuses?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ones behind the right side cover? I'll do that next

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yes. If the fuses are good then I hate to say it but it's probably time to take it to a shop.

With a wiring diagram & a good multi-meter & time it can be figured out but as far as doing it over the internet it will be past my skills especialy if you are not that familiar with electrics.

I was hoping by this time that others who are more knowledgable about Vic wiring would have jumped in.
Sorry I couldn't do more but please keep posting I'm interested to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have to do a couple of other things but am going to get back on this in the morning. Will definitely keep you updated and you have been a great help. I am good with mechanical issues but suck at electrical.

Once again thanks greatly for your help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just checked real quick. Lights, horn, turn signals all work. Radio comes on but controls don't work. Neutral light and bright light indicator work as well. No tach, speedometer, radio controls or mileage / gear indicator.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where are the relays at?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.