VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stumped...hoping you all can help me out...maybe I can save a trip to the dealer.
Got a weird noise on coasting coming to a stop from the 20mph to 0mph range. (It seems worse if I have a passanger aboard). It sounds like rear brake rub but visually inspected brake and rotor (and all appears OK) and hit rear brake when it's making the noise (still makes the noise). Did the same with the front although it really sounds like its coming from the rear. I thought maybe clutch so when I heard it, pulled the clutch...still has the noise. Hard to explain but it's not a high squeal...more like a low frequency noise. I'm thinking it almost sounds like a bad rear axle. I've heard bearings go out in the past and there is no tell tale knock, knock, knock. Itdoesn't do it everytime which is stumping me as well. It really only happen on decelaration...steady low speed, I can't hear it.
Maybe the belt is too tight? Seems pretty taut to me but I'm a chain man and know little to nothing about a belt drive.
Anyone else have this problem in the past?
The 09 KP only has 2100 miles on it and yes I did the 500 miler at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Seems more prominent when the bike is first riden. If I go pick up my little one from school...only 6 miles away...I definitely hear it. If I go over and around the mountain on a cruise, it seems to fade away.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

took it to the dealer...problem solved....belt was way too tight. they asked me who adjusted and i said you did. many apologies and no charge...gave me a $20 credit for future service/parts/accesories. they had no explination on why it didn't start making the noise until 1400 miles after service. at least the 20 paid for the gas and time.nice people in at ridersville in west virginia. thanks to all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I might be having the same issue - I've noticed it slowing down, and therefore thought it was a brake thing, but it happens even if I just engine brake. I also (weirdly) notice it more on left-hand turns?? Odd.

I'm going in for my 500-mile next week and will mention it to them and see what happens.

·
Registered
531 Posts

I too used to hear the noise. To me it sounded/felt like a worn out bushing, frame problem, sorta thing. I haven't heard/felt it lately and I think it was the belt rubbing on the side of the pulley. Ihave 13k miles on it now and don't hear it anymore.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am on my 3rd Vic and had the same noise on all 3 bikes. I came to accept it as one of those quirks that Vic has. Mine always does it around 15 mph when slowing down at a stop sign or similar

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I was a little high on milage when I brought in my Vision for it's first service and probably ay 1200 or 1300 km's it started to squeek at slow speed and it turned out to be (the belt) rubbing on one side of the pulley so my better dealer just corrected the alignment and since has been sweet..got 6000km now

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I know this thread is older but figured i'd air it out there because I'm having this issue and reading on here seems there allot of newer people to the site myself included. I will be having my belt inspected in the next couple of days to hopefully solve my problem. Can't be showing up to Biketoberfest giving Harley riders something to poke about my Vic. Gotta keep their minds right.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I know this thread is older but figured i'd air it out there because I'm having this issue and reading on here seems there allot of newer people to the site myself included. I will be having my belt inspected in the next couple of days to hopefully solve my problem. Can't be showing up to Biketoberfest giving Harley riders something to poke about my Vic. Gotta keep their minds right.
What noise do you hear, the squeak are the low frequency hum/rubbing sound. If its the squeak , its a alignment issue as in belt rubbing the side of the pulley. If you only get a sound like low humming/rubbing sound at low speed/slowing down to a stop, the belt may be to tight. Mine did this after I aligned my belt and set it at the recommended tension, but only when the weather got warmer. As the belt heats up it will get tighter, so I loosened mine to a 1/4 " more deflection and the sound went away.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
When my belt gets loose it chirps pretty bad when cold. It's quite if it's adjusted correctly.
When I adjust it I always make sure it tracks to the center of the rear pulley. Adjusting the tracking of the belt takes longer than just adjusting the tension, but it's more efficient that way.
I used to build race BMX bikes for my daughters and having everything in perfect alignment gave them a fighting chance (2nd and 4th in State).

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Mine has the hum and you said when its hot it tightens I do notice it is more noticeable after long period rides

·
Registered
10 Posts
09 Vegas. But a few months ago and have a total of 16,500 miles. Today was 90 degrees outside and I went for a ride. I heard the squeak when decelerating (clutch in or out) between 25 MPH and 10 MPH, began after about 15-20 minutes of riding. Never heard it before, but from what I read, belt may be too tight from the heat. This thread was VERY helpful, thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.