VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP PLEASE!! I unknowingly dropped the bike cover onto the chrome pipe guard on my '10 Vision. By the time the time I got home and realized what had happened the nylon had carbonized onto the pipe. I've tried taking a razor blade to it but it started to scratch the chrome.

Any ideas, short of replacing the covers?

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I THINK that some people have had success using Easy-Off oven cleaner ("slightly" heated up pipe then applied, let sit and cleaned), but you'd better double check on this. That is one thing I would hate to give bad advice.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Try lacquer thinner which is quite effective along with 0000 steel wool. I've used it to remove melted microfibre towels and rubber from hot pipes. It doesn't take much elbow grease, so press lightly. From what I can tell, the 0000 steel wool, doesn't scratch chrome.Oven cleaner is only marginally effective. I've used Easy Off without success, but lacquer thinner did what Easy Off couldn't do.
Vince.

·
Registered
717 Posts

0000 steel wool and Spray & Wipe Instant Detailer from Pure Victory Gear.
Use on a cold exhaust. Melted my rainsuit on the pipes once. Came right off.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Rick057 said:
+1 on the SW but I would warm up the pipes. Ive done it several times to get the burned frogg toggs off the pipe LOL
And no the SW does not scratch the chrome.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you have a large amount to remove, don't try to takeit alloff at once. A little at a time is better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would heat the bike up to operating temperatures and wear some leather gloves and try to use a cotton cloth on the pipe. A lot of times the nylon will just wipe off when hot, just don't burn your hands!! This method will save the scratches on your chrome. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
When using a razor blade a double edge works best because you can bend to curve around the exhaust and lessen the chance of scratching the chrome. You can do this on any heavy areas and then use the Vic Gear stuff to finish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it looks good as new again. I used the penny to scrape of the thick burnt on stuff and then the 0000 steel wool with a bit of turpentine get the rest, then rubbed it with Pig Snot to polish it up.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, very much appreciated!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rick057 said:
This will work, I know from experience but too late. I used a dremmel with a rubber wheel and it worked ok but took the shine offthe chrome. used both 000 and 0000 steel wool with chrome polish and it was amazing (and also made me feel foolish when looking where I used the dremmel).It does not scratch. I now have lots of bothe 000 & 0000.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've used Oven Cleaner to clean my pipes after riding in the rain while wearing a Frog Tog rain suit. The same thing happened to me. I (slightly) warmed the bike up, spayed on the over cleaner - be very careful and cover your engine cases before spraying - waited the recommended 10 minutes then wiped the pipes off with a clean drycloth. The "plastic" came right off and the rag did not scratch the chrome..To prevent this from happening again, my wife altered the rain suit by sewing a cloth barrier to the right pants leg where itmelted onto the chrome.. Works perfectly!

·
Vendor
1,398 Posts
You can use steel wool (000) with some Wd-40 ... should come right off. Thats what we used at the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.