VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to meet my wife to take her on her first ride. Just bought the bike a week ago. First time bike owner. It is a 2013 cross country with 18k miles. So I'm about 5 miles from my house and she starts to spudder out. Giving it throttle and finally stops about 200 yards later. Engine shut off with low oil light on. I wait for the engine to cool down and coast to a level spot to check oil level. It is halfway between full and add. I tried to shut off to see if the sensor or something would reset and nothing. I tried to start again once and it will turn and try to start but spudders out instantly. Fuel is at half tank.If there IS an actual oil issue i don't want to keep trying to start it. I need some wisdom! I'm on the side of the road and its 100 degrees lol! At least I'm not 2 hours away with the wife on the back i guess... But I am disappointed, these things are supposed to be bullet proof!

·
Registered
174 Posts
A low battery level can do some very strange things to these bikes.
Agree...

Pretty limited info here, but bad battery or possible bad stator can cause those symptoms. I've been out to assist a buddy with a similar shutdown and it was a bad stator.

Oil light will always come on when you shut off the engine and still have the key on.

Reactions: TimberShock86

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Something very simple to try, no guarantee. I know it's super hot all over this country. Maybe a gas tank venting issue? Open your gas cap fully for 5 seconds. Close the cap and try starting the bike again.

Please know, the more times you try to start the bike the more you're draining the battery. Which of course increases the odds of requiring additional assistance. I would call for help now and hope you figure it out before they arrive.

What a drag, best of luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree...

Pretty limited info here, but bad battery or possible bad stator can cause those symptoms. I've been out to assist a buddy with a similar shutdown and it was a bad stator.

Oil light will always come on when you shut off the engine and still have the key on.
Yes, the oil light does that same thing. The voltmeter reads 13 volts when turning the key on also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something very simple to try, no guarantee. I know it's super hot all over this country. Maybe a gas tank venting issue? Open your gas cap fully for 5 seconds. Close the cap and try starting the bike again.

Please know, the more times you try to start the bike the more you're draining the battery. Which of course increases the odds of requiring additional assistance. I would call for help now and hope you figure it out before they arrive.

What a drag, best of luck, and keep us posted.
I will try that now! Thank you for the advice! I have only tied to start 2 times since it died mostly because of the issue you stated and also if its REALLY not getting oil I don't want to lock it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just gave it a try, started for less than a second and died again. Voltmeter is creeping closer to 12 now. Still on the phone with the insurance to get someone out here. Thank you all again for the quick replies. You guys are great!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I will try that now! Thank you for the advice! I have only tied to start 2 times since it died mostly because of the issue you stated and also if its REALLY not getting oil I don't want to lock it up.
You bet and I believe you can safely put your oil concern out of your mind. The bike died with the key on, so you'll see that light. The light will remain on until the bike is running properly for 1-3 seconds (or you move the key to a different position - duh). It sounds like a fuel, spark, air issue. Particularly since you stated you checked the oil properly and it is in the safe zone.

As others also suggested, be sure to check your battery terminals with a 10mm socket wrench and not just your fingers. Pop the chin spoiler off and check because these bikes can be a real bitty when it comes to a loose terminal at the battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you try what jedi mcfly said which is to tighten Battery connections ...these machines are notorious for loose battery connections that can cause all sorts of strange problems...make em good and tight
Yes, sir. Unfortunately I am stuck on the side of the road and do not have any tools with me to tighten them (won't happen again).

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Just a note for any potential future next times. If your engine dies or has some strange runability issue, use the toggle switch by the clutch lever to flip through the mileage displays and look for an error. You will know if you have one as it will stick out like a sore thumb. If you loop all the way through the selections and do not see anything odd, then your bike did not throw an error. With this said, as soon as you turn the key off...the error is wiped and you will not be able to retrieve it on your own...or even know if there was an error. So again, if your bike stalls or has some issue...always look for an error before you turn the key to off.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its a used bike. Maybe damaged battery from setting like a dead cell. Jumping it may be enough to get you home. Do yourself a favor and get a new battery. They will die going down the road with a bad connection to the battery. Damaged battery. AAA RV Plus One Free 200 mile tow per year.
$100 a year ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.