VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The woman and I are in search for helmets because we just don't feel comfortable on the road without one anymore. We are looking for half helmets and was just wondering what everyone wore. We are looking for a low profile lid and trying to stay away from the mushroom look. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Most half helmets will make your head look like you belong in a Mario Bros game. ACC makes some slimer line ones, I know the Helmet Shop in Daytna sells them and you can see the different styles on their website. If you wear a 3/4 you wont look like as much of a mushroom and have more protection. The ACC is the smallest DOT helmet I know of.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Personally, Again its totally personally, but i believe a half helmet is a false sense of safety. Statistics show that the majority of head injuries are not on the top of the head but are on the face and chin with the back a close second.
I could never quite get the concept of bicycle helmets either. basically the same coverage you are refering to with a half helmet, The top of the head. When in an Accident did you ever see someone just hit the top?
Again this is my opinion and in no way discourage anyones right to choose.
But as you can see ill put my opinion out there. :)

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I have two helmets:

1) Arai 3/4

2) Shoei Multi-Tec

I've been a fan of Arai helmets for many years as they are comfortable and deliver a good fit (for me) and ventilation.

The Shoei is almost as comfortable, and the flip up mechanism makes it easier to place on/off than standard full face helmets. I have noticed that with this one, I do get that forehead/waffle feel after a few hours.

Both are sunglass-friendly.

While there's some great prices on helmets from online discounters, buying helmets online is like buying shoes...you have to try them on first as what's comfortable for one rider could be a poor fit for another. I wanted to buy one from my Victory Dealer, but the selection was limited and the styles he carried just weren't comfortable for me.

I'd trade the "mushroom look" for comfort (and safety) any day of the week as if it's comfortable, I'll have no hesitation in wearing it.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
I know the Helmet Shop in Daytna sells them and you can see the different styles on their website.
I've purchased from them (online) in the past and they delivered great service and good prices.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Clubford00 said:
Personally, Again its totally personally, but i believe a half helmet is a false sense of safety. Statistics show that the majority of head injuries are not on the top of the head but are on the face and chin with the back a close second.
I could never quite get the concept of bicycle helmets either. basically the same coverage you are refering to with a half helmet, The top of the head. When in an Accident did you ever see someone just hit the top?
Again this is my opinion and in no way discourage anyones right to choose.
But as you can see ill put my opinion out there. :)
+1

HERE
is a pretty good article about helmets.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My wife and I purchased the Nolan 42 series 3/4 helmets for two up and the vision com system. Tried them out for the first long ride yesterday (eight hours was long for us) and they worked good. Liked the protection and the shaded visor for the sun that flips over the regular visor. Great optics and a comfortable fit.

·
Registered
279 Posts
pa06jackpot said:
The woman and I are in search for helmets because we just don't feel comfortable on the road without one anymore. We are looking for half helmets and was just wondering what everyone wore. We are looking for a low profile lid and trying to stay away from the mushroom look. Any suggestions?
I wear a HJC half helmet.. you definetly want to try them on due to fact that some amnufactures build according to an oblong head or round head..
Wow, a simple anwser without the soap box about whysomeone shouldn't enjoy the wind intheir face instead of behind a windshield...

·
Registered
75 Posts

My wife and I both purchased the ACC helmets online and absolutely love them! They are very light and very small... no mushroom!!

[URL='http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com']www.carbonfiberhelmets.com

Do add, i also have the Victory full face carbon fiber helmet, and I love that too!! I use the half helmet for touring around the city, no major highways in the city here, and the full face for the faster speeds!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
ZOX helmets are inexpensive, DOT approved and have a very small size, they use some new tech EPS liner to give the same level of protection compared to other brands.

I've had a ZOX 1/2 helmet for 3 yrs and the wife for 2, we both like the helmet, but I have been considering going to a 3/4 to give me some hearing protection, as I am too lazy to always put in my ear plugs.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Brian your helmet is a nice one. I was going to ask you whare you bought it from. I liked the zip in ear muffs it has. My lid doesn't have that option.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I don't want to splash cold water on this helmet conversation, but correct me if I'm wrong here: Isn't the D.O.T. approval come from a US Government Agency?

As we have learned, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has had difficulty keeping child's toys safe from elements such as choking hazards and lead paint. With the cutbacks all Government Agencies are currently experiencing, is providing the DOT rating an important factor to the Government these days? Or, are they just Rubber-Stamping anything that passes their desks?

I'm wondering how much time and effort is involved in gaining D.O.T. approval on motorcycle helmets? How often does the Government update their standards to pressure manufacturers in making stronger, lighter and safer helmets?

Okay, go ahead and pick on me about this. But while I believe in Freedom of Choice, personally, I do choose to wear a helmet. With that said, how do I make sure that the one I buy would protect my brain (and jaw and teeth) in the event it's ever needed? After all, if I (or you) choose to wear a helmet, I'm sure we would want it to work properly if needed.

I'm to understand the USA does not have an agency that rates other protective gear (jackets, lowers, etc.) and the ratings come from the EU. I'm sure that Rider_EU (and others) can shed some light on this topic.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good point Andy! Hell Ive seen places that sold a small black sticker that said DOT on them in which you could stick on the back of a non DOT helmet! I just had to throw that in thare lol. Ive always wondered about what you've just said myself Andy.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

If you want a helmet that really protects go with a helmet that has a Snell M2005 rating.
DOT helmet standards have not changed in 28 years and are really outdated. See below it is shocking.
DOT Approved Helmets
How can you tell a helmet is DOT approved? Typically a sticker on the rear of the helmet with the letters "DOT."

How does the DOT monitor compliance with FMVSS 218? Would you be surprised to learn it's based on the honor system? Yes, you read that correct. The government relies on the manufacturer's word that the helmet was tested and passed!

Does the government do any testing? Yes, they do very, very limited testing of helmets. How limited? In 2001, they tested 40 helmets. Under the honor system, we shouldn't have to test any helmets.

What if a helmet fails? They publish the data and rely on the manufacturer to bring the product into compliance. In 2001, 20% of the tested helmets failed the performance tests. Helmets manufactured by AFX, Fulmer, HJC, M2R, NEXL and THH. At a 20% failure rate, do you think there are others out there that might fail the performance test?

DOT FMVSS 218 Standard Summary:

Developed 28 year ago.
Very, very limited testing.
Based on the honor system.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow gr8 info dsjr70 Im going to look for a snell M2005aproved helmet when I go helmet shoping. Im going to look inside the helmet Im curently useing to see what it says. Thanx again for the info

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Does the Snell rating come from the EU?

Let's face it, with Government cutbacks, I don't think riders are on the top of the priority list.

I'm glad we at the least have the MSF watching our backs.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Chris said:
Good point Andy! Hell Ive seen places that sold a small black sticker that said DOT on them in which you could stick on the back of a non DOT helmet!
I wonder how those guys who knowingly attach these stickers on non-DOT approved helmets sleep at night when they learn that a life was lost due to the rider wearing a helmet that was nothing more than a bunch of junk?

As a reporter, I often learned the answer to most questions could be found by "Following The Money."

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.