VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some online helmets that were on sale. Prices literally ran from about $30 (closeout) to over $500.

I have had a couple HJC and my current lid is a Speed and Strength helmet.

So, curious besides the obvious you get what you pay for comments and it’s your head…. What is really the difference between a $150 HJC vs some other brands $500 all DOT approved helmets?

Thanks, and it is raining here so did not ride in to work so chalk this up to an “I am bored and a question popped up in my head. Ha

Bill

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Better ventilation, much lower noise levels , quality of materials- the most obvious difference is interior padding,
Often lighter.
Shields are high end, better anti fog, better optical quality.
Some have quick fasten & release buckles... I'm sure others can come up with more.

Reactions: FoFo

·
Registered
474 Posts
As long as it's a DOT/Snell approved, then safety wise no difference. The other differences could be comfort, weight, noise, perhaps an interior visor, etc. I've been using a Scorpion EXO-700 which is my go-to helmet. Comfortable, decently quite (but I always wear earplugs), but somewhat heavy compared to newer helmets. I got it on closeout on-line for $99 and worth every penny. A few years back I purchased a Bell Star helmet due to all the raving reviews....in my opinion it's crap. I made the mistake of trying it on briefly at home, then removed the tags and took it for a ride. Noisy, doesn't fit my head correctly, not comfortable, etc. So lesson learned, try on helmets at some shops and find what really works. If I had worn the Bell longer at home, I think I would have realized that it wasn't going to work and I could have returned it. And by the way, I hope you are looking at full face helments. Most accidents end up impacting the face/chin area, so having anything less than full face is an unnecessary risk.

Most helmet models come in a variety of colors and graphics. If you find say Shoei RF-1200 (just an example only) fits well and you really like it, then you may find huge price differences among the different color and graphic options. In that case, there is no difference except for the appearance and the price. It's all the same helmet. The key is to find what you really like and to try them on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Space, I have a full face but it needs new check pads because it squeezes my face too much and probably why I don't like it. I do wear a half helmet, I know your face is exposed but I am just comfortable. Ha, maybe it is my age. I started riding when the only choice was a 3/4 with a snap on shield. I thought I was so cool in that yellow 3/4 helmet with the amber bubble shield. LOL

Bill

·
Registered
899 Posts
I came across this some months ago and while I agree with most of it every little bit helps in the long run. Usually, I find IMO that a SNELL approved helmet costs more $$$. Kind of long winded and goofy but the kid brings some things to light

·
Registered
375 Posts
I love my Schuberth Helm
C4

I found a sale und the price was 420 €.

Reactions: walks35

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can tell you this. My HJC is not worth a crap in the rain. The shield does not seal to the helmet and so water runs down the inside. Sad thing is that it fits my pumpkin head perfect. Don't know if the whole line is that way or just the helmet I have. I won't buy my next helmet online as I will want to see how the seals are first.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Daytona makes a great brain bucket and your head doesn't look like a mushroom.

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
Daytona makes a great brain bucket and your head doesn't look like a mushroom.
Now you're getting personal. I've never had any complaints about my mushroom head.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My fat head fits in a bell helmet but i do have an hjc as well. I dont have it in front of me now but it was a 400 to 500 dollar range i think (bell helmet that is). Still kinda heavy, but i have put the transitions shield on it....very nice that addition was. Also i can find all new internal stuff since it is some sort of really smooth velvet like material. It is 6 years old though so probably time to replace it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
@bfisherman11 I have a Schuberth C3 (modular) and outside of the infamous welt you get on your forehead it works well. I added a UClear Bluetooth to it this year for long distance riding.Not sure if cost is much to go by as much as fit and performance. What sucks is there's not too many places to go where you can try them on. NW IL? Check out Cycle Gear in Schaumburg. They have a decent selection if your head is XL or under. My C3 is a 3XL and its snug. Got it through Revzilla.

As far as raining ... I'm in Lake in the Hills and yeah our back yard was flooded Tuesday/Wednesday. The docks at Broken Oar, which I ride/drive by almost everyday, are still submerged today. The Fox has been flooding over quite a bit lately. Crazy sh!t.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.