Helmet Theft | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Helmet Theft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saddlebag, Dec 18, 2014.

1. saddlebag

saddlebag Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Roads
    It really has never been an issue for me, but helmets are getting more and more expensive and there are a number of areas where people seem to steal anything and everything that ain't bolted down.

The reason I bring it up is because I need to replace my Shoei open face that was beat up in a recent accident. It worked flawlessly to not only save my life, but didn't even leave me dizzy after some road acrobatic that would make the Flying Wallendas blush. Shoeis are also the most comfortable lids I've found for my cranium.

The model I had has been upgraded to a model called the J-Cruise. They added a set of internal sunglasses which are nice, but more to the point, the changed the chin strap mechanism to this:

J-Cruise chin.jpg

From a usage perspective, I like it, but how the hell can you secure it to a bike?

2. Old-Gramps

Old-Gramps Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    Yea, the proven double "D" rings work well for both reasons. I used to have a padlock attached to the luggage rack or if you wanted to, you could lock it to the brake or gear lever or rear view mirror stem, etc. etc. I just sat the helmet over the sissy bar thing and snapped the lock through the "D" rings, thieves bring a spanner, socket or hack saw with you, or if you want to be real flash, a bolt cutter.... Any of the above plus others just mean that it takes more than a couple of seconds to acquire the helmet. Locks are only to keep honest people from taking it.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. S_Clause

S_Clause Member

A Sticker saying "Caution Wearer has Head Lice"

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Keith Grey

Keith Grey Grouchy Old Member

None
    All my helmets either have a hole in the front that I could run a cable through (full Face), or the straps on the sides have a spot I can run a cable through (half & 3/4 face), so I use a small cable lock I got from some deal of the day site (3 for $10 delivered).

Here are a couple of options. The first is similar to what I got, but mine is 3' and thicker, with a key.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Seems to me all you can possibly do is deter the snatch and grab thieves. Plus, I hate D-Ring closures and love the adjustable slide locks some companies are using. S&S use them and they sell very economical helmets.

5. saddlebag

2011 Cross Roads
    I carried the same thing in the Vic as it has no helmet locks. I ran it thru the D clips of my open face and under the handlebar and would set it such that it covered my GPS. I came across a video showing the new style clip. No full face and no D clips means it either fits in a bag (when empty) or it gets carried with me (no joy).

I watched a different review and it does in fact come with D clips, the fancy clip is an upgrade. Problem is, the D clips are removable making the option possible. I figure I'll use them anyway. Little chance the local Vicodin addicts are going to know that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. catwrench59

catwrench59 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross country tour
    One of my friends had a brand new Shoei stolen at the Peoria Il. TT races 600 bucks gone

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. DirtyTwin

DirtyTwin Active Member

all of them
    OH!! that would have me pissed, not much get's me lit up, but taking someone's brain bucket of their bike, that's lower than low, in 35 years of riding I have never heard of that happening!
    fortunately, here in Colorado, I would still be able to ride home from the race, but I would have a case of the red arse that would be told around camp fires for generations to come!
    That is right up there with stealing the tools a man/ women uses to make a living to feed his/her family.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. Kaaihn

Kaaihn Active Member

Victory Cross Country
    If you have hard lockable saddlebags its easy. I bought an extra buckle online and bolted it to the inside of one bag. So when I put my helmet on the bike I connect one end of the helmet chin strap to the mate inside the bag, close the lid, lock it. Now it's the same concept as a D ring bike lock. You have to cut the strap to steal it, leaving behind half the buckle.

Another option I did for a friend without saddlebags was to sew a single D ring onto one side of the strap. Now you can lock it to the bike using the D ring, assuming you have a D ring lock on the bike of course.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    I'm not a fan of the quick release mechanisms. I think the factory ones will be better than the feeble aftermarket variety though.
    To your point, one would need to look at the whole strap. There is probably some sort of adjustment on the other end from the quick connect. Speed & Strength has a sort of double D ring that allows for adjusting the strap then secure their fast release. So, you may still be in luck but without the whole picture it is hard to say.

Glad you are better. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terminal

Terminal Active Member

2013 Victory Vision
    I have something very similar to the masterlock option Keith grey showed in his post(#4). I ran it through my full face helmet and locked it to the bike. I used it quite often on my Kingpin, but now with the Vision I lock it up in the trunk. I have used used it a couple of time on the Vision when the wife and I were on a trip and the trunk was full.

11. saddlebag

2011 Cross Roads
    Or at least different. My big toenail on my good leg just fell off. Man did that thing stink! That toe took a great deal of abuse in the wreck. No more tennis shoes on short hops for me!

12. Bear965

Bear965 Member

2012 Vision
    Many insurance companies will pay for the hemet under comp coverage I know State Farm does. I am a State Farm agent so I do know this check with your company. The 1st poster said that he needed a new helmet do to an accedent, it my be covered off his insurance.

13. DirtyTwin

DirtyTwin Active Member

all of them
    Now that is good information, so you are in the business, does my deductible come into play,
    or does the helmet fall under the $1000 no deductible coverage for the parts and other portion of the policy, and does it count as a claim, and will they skyrocket my rates for it? and do I have to buy the same helmet, and as they view helmets as having a 5 year life, do they just start deducting from the purchase price of what I paid for it 4 years ago?

14. Bear965

Bear965 Member

2012 Vision
    Different companies have different rules. You should contact your agent with these questions but don't be suprised if he/she does not know make them check with the claims people to get you the correct answer.

15. DirtyTwin

DirtyTwin Active Member

all of them
    started down the wrong dirt rode on my previous post, wasn't really asking about my coverage, was thinking more generally, but let's just say real world with State Farm in this case, as that is what you are familiar with.