VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased this handlebar mounted helmet lock and I quite like it.

http://www.helmetsecure.com/

I got the Classic lock model in black to match the handle bars on my Hammer. The lock is very well made. It's steel and is actually quite heavy. It only takes a couple of minutes to mount and has remained secure for the couple of rides I've taken since I installed it.

I've got it mounted between my handle bar clamps and it doesn't interfere with my view of the speedo/tach. The bottom portion does cover up my high/low beam light, but that's not really an issue for me as I often have my highs on during the day. At dusk/night I can see the glow of the blue high beam light fine. I'm 6'2" and I'm not sure if riders of different heights would have any visibility issues with mounting it where I did.

I have a Shoei Multitec helmet and I chose this lock because I can run the cable through the face hole and leave the helmet right-side up on top of my guages. My helmet will not turn into a bucket in the event of rain.

Someone asked me if I thought the cable was secure enough. While it's true that someone with a cable cutter would probably be able to cut the cable, I believe it's more likely that an opportunistic thief would be carrying a knife than cable cutters. If I'd only secured my helmet via the strap or strap rings, a knife is all it would take to get the helmet off the bike - not with this lock.

Another advantage of this lock is that I can scrunch the sleeve of my jacket up and run the cable through it so I can leave my jacket with my bike on really hot days (we occasionally get those in Alberta.)

I think this is a great alternative to the traditional frame mounted or grip mounted helmet locks.

Oh, for the record, I am in no way associated with this company, nor do I make a profit by recommending it to others. I'm just a fellow biker who likes sharing some of the cool things I've come across.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
while I've never had someone walk off with my helmet, as stated I would prefer it make it more difficult for someone to do so.

It's a nice option, kewlmetal also has replaceable grip ends although a little more expensive do blend very well and it grabs the rings.

Now that I think about it though my kuryakyn grand tour bag came with a small lock and cable that would probably do well holding my helmet to my lid rail luggage racks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, thanks for the review! My matte black Bell Star helmet just arrived, and I am disinclined to leave it lying about untethered. I was wondering about visibility of the idiot lights on my 'PinBall with the lock in place, but like you I leave my brights on in the daytime anyway.

Good point about the steel cable, a knife would have to do a lot of chewing to cut through that.

Thx again - I might just have to order this.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What kind of dirt bags steal helmets. I thought it was an unwritten code that a person could leave their helmet on their bike. I agree thieves .... rrrrrrrrr!!!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Jackpot52 said:
What kind of dirt bags steal helmets. I thought it was an unwritten code that a person could leave their helmet on their bike. I agree thieves .... rrrrrrrrr!!!
I can and have left my helmet on my bike for years at biker events, even overnight and never had one stolen. This year they stolen a $20.00 skull cap I keep on the back for passengers at the beach and my $300.00+ Icon at a Denny's... So I think the code is between bikers only...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry man, I guess this is the society that we live in, trust no one, and be ever protective of everything. Not how things should be!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Jackpot52 said:
I can and have left my helmet on my bike for years at biker events, even overnight and never had one stolen. So I think the code is between bikers only...
I agree with dsjr70 completely. Bikers understand the importance of the helmet by law in most states and the fact that it could save a riders life. Your common everyday thief only cares about the $10 he might get out of putting your life at risk.
I live in Iowa where there is no helmet law but I still always wear mine when I'm on the highway (I know I should wear it all of the time). My dad was in a wreck when I was in 5th grade. If he wasn't wearing a helmet he wouldn't still be with us today.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did end up buying this helmet lock and love it! My husband actually mounted it on the handlebar to the right of my right-side riser, so it doesn't obscure my view of anything but still allows the helmet to sit in the center of the handlebars when locked up. And looks-wise, it's pretty unobtrusive, the black blends right in with my 8ball. Highly recommended - I spend a lot on my helmets, and while I do trust most bikers, unfortunately, there's a lot of shady non-bikers in this world whom I do NOT trust whatsoever. For me, it's worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave_D said:
Sorry to reply to an old thread but do you remember what it cost you to get this shipped up here? I hateusing UPS, seems like they try and rape a guy every chance they get!
I actually didn't have to pay shipping. When I placed my order, they were out of stock on the black and were offering free shipping for any orders placed. Worked out well as I'd ordered while we still had snow on the ground so waiting a couple extra weeks didn't bother me.

You're right about UPS... Maybe roofie yourself before ordering - that way you'll forget the shipping rape, but end up with a nice helmet lock... :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good info on an old thread here- but do I understand it correctly that you could secure two helmets with one lock? One gentlemen mentioned that it could go up the sleeve of his jacket- so it looks like you can get two helmets on one lock, yes?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hey Durak- Do you know of any Cros Country riders up where you are? Maybe try it on the left handlbar of the CC before or after the 90-degree curve there? Does it fit? Does it interfere with anything - I know it would be in front of the L speaker, but I can't think of another place to put it. Anybod else have ideas? Curious, but not yellow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.