Helmet recommendations please | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Helmet recommendations please

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by Bigmal, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Bigmal

Bigmal Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory across Country
    i always said I wouldn't want a bike with a stereo, but now I've got a XC I love it!

But my current helmet (a frank Thomas ) has so much wind roar, you can't hear the stereo much above 60.

So I've gone back to my old Exo Scorpion, even tho it's a bit scruffy. I may even just buy the same again, but thought I'd ask if anyone found a good open face helmet, which lets you hear the music, and doesn't have too much wind roar?

By the way, I'm in the uk where half helmets aren't legal, so please don't recommend that type.

That's the crazy thing about buying a helmet..... you only know if it's right once you've been down the road in it!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iron Lion

Iron Lion Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country
    Have you ever thought about a "Shark'? People on here like the Evoline 3. I bought a newer Evo One. Gives you options in the cold and rain from open face all the time to the full face till the rain or cold is over.
    Search results for: shark | MotoStorm [en]

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Bigmal

Bigmal Active Member

Victory across Country
    Thank you, I'll check those out :)

4. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @Bigmal I have had Scorpion helmets before - My fave was the EXO-1000. It fit well and had a decent internal Sun visor - but it did not last long. Scorpion has made considerable progress since then and have some nice models out now. There are actually a number of good helmets out there today. I like the Shoei brand myself - all of the helmets in my inventory now are Shoei. Yes, they cost a lot. But the quality is incredible, you can replace the liners and cheek pads (except for the Qwest; not sure what they were thinking there as it doesn't cost much less than the rest) and they fit my head like no other.

5. MRMAXX

MRMAXX Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. El_Spanky

El_Spanky Active Member

'17 Indian Roadmaster
    Shark helmets I do the Modular model. The chin can flip to back of the helmet also. If you want full face Arai and Scorpion are good also

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. XtremeIN

XtremeIN Member

2016 Magnum
    I am on my second EXO in 5 years. I had the EXO-900 transformer and now the EXO-GT3000. I really like the EXO line and the GT3000 is a serious improvement over the 900. I ride a 2016 Magnum with tri-oval exhaust and the optional 200 watt 10 speaker system. At 55-60 MPH I can hear the stereo fine, but as I start to approch 70 MPH it does become harder to hear. Usually I use my Sena 20 if riding the super slab at 70 plus for any amount of time.

8. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    First I should say I have never had your helmet and can't compare them to mine in a side by side comparison. I can share about these two though.

I have two open face helmets I currently use. One the Nolan N44 Outlaw and the other a Shark Evoline 3 Arona. I really like both but as with everything each have some things I don't.

N44
    Nice venting giving great air flow = A bit on the loud side. Not where I can't hear my music though. Nice in the Texas heat.

Has a removable chin guard = While it snaps on and off in a flash its not something you can do going down the road. Has to be stowed.

Nice large face shield with pin lock lens = Can not be ridden in the up position. You have to stop and remove or add it if you want to change the helmet mode. It's big which offers spectacular protection. Great in the rain.

Nolan quick snap ratcheting chin strap = Straight awesome! Should be on all helmets.

Evo 3

Two small vents = Warmer but has less noise.

Rotating chin bar = Easy to do on the road but while the helmet is well balanced it doesn't lighten up like my N44 when I strip it down. When riding in full face mode the stereo can be heard but not great in all conditions. In open face it can be hard great.

Smaller shield extending just past the nose. = Can be ridden while up but mine gets a rattling noise if I do. It works well though and I don't need glasses with it alone.

D rings, the nicest D rings I have every seen in a helmet. = They are still D rings. I think the newer Sharks have a ratcheting strap like my N44.

Both helmets have retractable sunshades which work well. Both will accept come. Both are extremely well made.

I find myself wearing the N44 in warmer weather and rain. The Evo I wear in cooler weather or times I feel like having a more full face like helmet.

• Like Like x 2
  9. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sonic

Sonic Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country. Sunset red and silver
    I bought a Bell Mag 9 for my XC a couple of years ago. It fits like a glove (58 cms) and has a built in sun visor and pull down clear visor. The quality is very good. It comes with a removable port that allows the addition of the Sena SMH 10 intercom unit.
    The only gripe that I have with it is that I like to ride with the clear visor up most of the time but at higher speeds or with a bit of a side wind the visor starts to come down on its own which can be a bit annoying. That said I very pleased with it on the whole.

11. recumbentbob

recumbentbob Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    If you wear ear plugs you can hear the stereo better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    Helmets need fit, and the better the fit overall, the less the road/wind noise.
    That said and done wear ear plugs. You'll be surprised how much better you hear things like other vehicles, sirens, and yes the stereo. You will also notice less fatigue at the end of the day or a long trip.

Happy shopping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    +1 for the Shark Evoline 3

I really love it, one of the best purchases ever. It can be warm but the practicality of it is great.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Iron Lion

Iron Lion Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country
    You should also see this review if you narrow it down to a "Shark". That 1 or 2 handed opening thing may also be a factor if it comes to that. There are some great choices listed in this thread it may come down down to your head shape also.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. dsh89

dsh89 Active Member

Victory Cross Country 8 Ball
    I got hit about 2 years ago. I was doing 55 through downtown Houston on Hwy 59. I went down hard. Broken fingers, a couple of breaks in my foot, and few broken ribs and a popped lung. I had on my HJC RHPA MAX. i still have brains in my head and no additional scars on my face or head over the ones I already had :) The helmet took it like a champ. Plus it is a modular helmet with good features at a reasonable price. I would buy another one.

• Like Like x 1