VOG Forum banner

HELMET Long Oval. aka Egg head

6K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  jwfuchs1 
#1 ·
I am having problems finding a modular helmet for a long oval head. I started with an HJC IS MAX 2 in 3xl no good. Swapped out the pads with a 5 xl its closer but still getting forehead pressure after 1-11/2 hours. Just ordered the LS2 strobe 3 xl fit good front to back but side to side sucks. I am about to order the Arai Signet Q. Any suggestions. ????

#4 ·
I had a beautiful Schuberth modular that I paid a lot of money for, but after an hour or so, the burn on my forehead would force me to pull over to take it off. i researched helmets and learned about Arai helmets.
They were one of if not the first to realize that heads weren't all round. My full face Arai Signet Q fits me like a glove, I can wear it all day long. But, Aria does not make a modular helmet, won't make one, they consider the hinge pivot point to be a weakness and a point of failure. So if you want a modular, it won't be an Arai. Another Aria feature, they wont't put the drop down eye shade on the inside of the shield. They put it on the outside, the reason obviously, is the risk of damage to the eyes in a crash.

#5 ·
Ah yes, "The Mark of Schuberth". I know it well. Outside of the welt I get my 3XL C3 it works well but I have been looking at the HJC's recently. They have a few 4XL and even 5XL. I wish I could say my jug head was full of smarts. I went through Revzilla last time but will hit Cycle Gear for their selection and as @Darth_v8r mentioned go to a store and try them on. Revzilla was awesome with service but you can only get free shipping on two.

View attachment 469025

#6 ·
Schuberth has made some improvements with the C4 and they have addressed the issue pictured above. :biggrin: I believe the C4 is still classified as an intermediate oval. It fits me perfectly with no pressure points. I also have a Shoei RF1200 that also fits me perfectly. I’ve never tried the Shoei neotec, but if it fits like the RF1200, it may be an option for you. Go to a shop and try them on.

#17 ·
@Scottpatton as far as the pressure on the sides I'll take out the cheek pads on my C3 a couple times a season and put them under a piece of wood or book with a weight (kettlebell, brick, etc.) overnight and that crushes down the padding for a while. It helps but doesn't solve the issue that the helmet doesn't fit 100% right. But maybe that will help in the meantime.

#24 ·
give harley helmets a try. i recently wanted a helmet with a hidden visor and after searching around i ended up picking an HD helmet. definitely had the long and oval shape to it and just guessing but i believe they had some bigguns in stock. oh and it didn't break the bank either, under 150 ! couple of vic stickers came in handy :shhh:

#28 ·
Where you been? Most now days do. My only complaint is they are usually not as dark as glasses and they don't protect the same in a helmet with less than a full face or full shield. They're great though on those days when you're going in and out of sun. On most sunny days here I'll still use my glasses.

#34 ·
The sun shade in my Schuberth C4 is pretty dark. Works well.

#35 ·
I have the Arai Signet X and love it. My first HJC wound up leaving a seam imprint on my forehead. I had worn it for about a half hour in the store without a problem, but a couple hours on the bike and I was ready to rip it off. I went to my local Cycle Gear store and tried on everything they had. The "helmet guy" recommended Arai as they seem to have the best fits for long ovals. (He really knew his stuff.) I got the Signet X, and it couldn't be more comfortable. I can ride all day with it with no discomfort, or pressure on the forehead.

#40 ·
I was gonna recommend the LS2 but it seems OP already tried them out. I agree that there is some extra room on the sides, but I have already crashed tested their helmet and they work great.

LS2 helmets are the only brand I was able to find that wouldn't require modifications to foam to be comfortable. Going up in size worked as well, but they eventually start to wobble and that's very annoying.

Anyhow I might just have to take up @Phideaux's hammer solution to increase my helmet brand selection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.