VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems finding a modular helmet for a long oval head. I started with an HJC IS MAX 2 in 3xl no good. Swapped out the pads with a 5 xl its closer but still getting forehead pressure after 1-11/2 hours. Just ordered the LS2 strobe 3 xl fit good front to back but side to side sucks. I am about to order the Arai Signet Q. Any suggestions. ????

·
Super Moderator
26,155 Posts
I've got a long oval head and find my Nolan N44 to be my most comfortable and best fitting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a beautiful Schuberth modular that I paid a lot of money for, but after an hour or so, the burn on my forehead would force me to pull over to take it off. i researched helmets and learned about Arai helmets.
They were one of if not the first to realize that heads weren't all round. My full face Arai Signet Q fits me like a glove, I can wear it all day long. But, Aria does not make a modular helmet, won't make one, they consider the hinge pivot point to be a weakness and a point of failure. So if you want a modular, it won't be an Arai. Another Aria feature, they wont't put the drop down eye shade on the inside of the shield. They put it on the outside, the reason obviously, is the risk of damage to the eyes in a crash.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ah yes, "The Mark of Schuberth". I know it well. Outside of the welt I get my 3XL C3 it works well but I have been looking at the HJC's recently. They have a few 4XL and even 5XL. I wish I could say my jug head was full of smarts. I went through Revzilla last time but will hit Cycle Gear for their selection and as @Darth_v8r mentioned go to a store and try them on. Revzilla was awesome with service but you can only get free shipping on two.

View attachment 469025

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Schuberth has made some improvements with the C4 and they have addressed the issue pictured above. :biggrin: I believe the C4 is still classified as an intermediate oval. It fits me perfectly with no pressure points. I also have a Shoei RF1200 that also fits me perfectly. I’ve never tried the Shoei neotec, but if it fits like the RF1200, it may be an option for you. Go to a shop and try them on.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I use a Neotech and it fits perfectly but honestly, I don’t think it’s any better than the
HJC IS MAX that I had before it which also fit perfectly at half the price.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had the same problem until I bought a Scorpion EXO-900X transformer modular helmet. It is an older model but when the time comes, I will definitely check out the Scorpion brand again. Most comfortable helmet I have ever owned.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Shoei full face fits good. So does a 3/4 Scorpion 220.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Revzilla has Oval, Intermediate oval, and long oval listings.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I had the same problem until I bought a Scorpion EXO-900X transformer modular helmet. It is an older model but when the time comes, I will definitely check out the Scorpion brand again. Most comfortable helmet I have ever owned.
I have a scorpion exo 900 and a 3/4 scorpion as well. Both fit great! When i bought the modular I tried hjc, bell, schubert and scorp and knew immediately the exo 900 was the one. 3 seasons later, still a great helmet...and inexpensive

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
@Scottpatton as far as the pressure on the sides I'll take out the cheek pads on my C3 a couple times a season and put them under a piece of wood or book with a weight (kettlebell, brick, etc.) overnight and that crushes down the padding for a while. It helps but doesn't solve the issue that the helmet doesn't fit 100% right. But maybe that will help in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Just until the swelling starts.
Actually, I really meant it in the other way. An old riding partner I dubbed "jughead" has a head that's actually larger than mine. We bought new helmets before taking off for Tennessee, and when we got to Memphis he pulled off the Interstate into a convenience store. We went in, and thought he just needed to take a piss, but he started looking around and soon came upon a hammer. He took it to the cashier and was going to buy it. The cashier was curious why he was on a bike, obviously packed for a trip, and was stopping in his store to buy a hammer. My friend said he needed to work on his helmet; he put the lid on the counter and took the hammer to the styrofoam support. He tapped lightly and put the lid on, then removed it and repeated the process several more times. Finally he gave the "thumbs-up"; the pressure point had been alleviated.

The cashier grinned and told him to put the hammer back, saying "no charge for the use". Cool cashier.

·
Super Moderator
26,155 Posts
Actually, I really meant it in the other way. An old riding partner I dubbed "jughead" has a head that's actually larger than mine. We bought new helmets before taking off for Tennessee, and when we got to Memphis he pulled off the Interstate into a convenience store. We went in, and thought he just needed to take a piss, but he started looking around and soon came upon a hammer. He took it to the cashier and was going to buy it. The cashier was curious why he was on a bike, obviously packed for a trip, and was stopping in his store to buy a hammer. My friend said he needed to work on his helmet; he put the lid on the counter and took the hammer to the styrofoam support. He tapped lightly and put the lid on, then removed it and repeated the process several more times. Finally he gave the "thumbs-up"; the pressure point had been alleviated.

The cashier grinned and told him to put the hammer back, saying "no charge for the use". Cool cashier.
I see. I did something similar once when I melted some of the foam to fit some speakers in one of my helmets.

My only concern is you are taking the impact absorbing ability from the helmet by compacting the foam cells but I guess such a small area is not a terrible thing to sacrifice for comfort. It's certainly better than no helmet at all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.