Helmet buffeting | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Helmet buffeting

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by Big106, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Big106

Big106 New Member

I just purchased my first Victory Cross Country. It's a 2014. There's a lot I love about it already, but one serious problem is the wind buffeting my helmet on the highway. I'm 6', and have the same problem riding other full faring baggers only with the stock windshield. The buffeting stops if I slouch a bit or put on a slightly taller windshield. This Vic has the 11" Klock Werks flip windshield already on it. I look well over the top of this windshield, so I have plenty of room for a taller windshield. But, after a few hundred miles on the highway trying to slouch and shift riding position and with researching thevog, I'm no longer convinced a taller windshield is the answer on the Cross Country. I'm not bothered by wind on my legs or body, but I can't stand my head shaking all the time on the highway. What's the best way to stop the buffeting of my helmet? I don't want full length fork deflectors if I don't need them since is don't mind wind on my legs, and I would prefer to keep as much engine cooling as possible. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. snobnd

snobnd Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    victory magnum
    When I first started riding My magnum it was all about the shield to prevent helmet buffeting, I stuck my hand out to find out where the major force of wind was, and order the windshield just high enough to get it over my helmet, but I didn’t want the curve of the shield to affect my eyesight, and that’s a fine line!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Uncle Bumpy

Uncle Bumpy New Member

Cross County
    Hi, I have a 2016 XC, it has a 11" windvest shield with the flip at the top and it was unridable for me due to the bufetting. I'm 6'-5" with fairly short inseam so I sit quite high. I got a MadStad offset mount for the shield which positions the shield above the fairing instead of tucked in at the bottom and it made a wold of difference. I ride at 70 mph with no buffeting ar all now.
    I tried to copy their website address but the system is fighting that. A simple Google search will turn them up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Uncle Bumpy

Uncle Bumpy New Member

Cross County
    20211003_220828.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Big106

Big106 New Member

Thank you! I will give MadStad brackets a try. So you don't find the wind coming up under the faring and beside the tank a problem now?

6. Big106

Big106 New Member

Also, has anyone used the MadStad brackets with an 11" Klock Werks flip windshield? That's the screen the bike has on it now. I'm trying to figure out if I only need the MadStad brackets or a complete kit with their screen to get the best performance.

7. ForestGiant

ForestGiant Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 97 Honda Valkyrie, 99 Honda Magna
    Looks like brackets only is unavailable as has been the case for a few years now. I have a 14 CC that has same klock Werks 11 inch shield, and too am six foot. Very first ride after purchasing used the underneath buffeting was bad. As soon as I got home I ordered the Witchdoctor fork lowers and it solved the problem, and I knew it would from previous bikes I owned. However you do not want to go this route. The Madstad system has worked on a number of Cross Countries over the years I have been on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Big106

Big106 New Member

Thanks for the info! And it's not that I don't necessarily want to go with fork mounted lower deflectors. I just don't mind wind on my legs. However, I want to do whatever is necessary to keep my head from feeling like it's in a paint can shaker when I'm above 60 on the highway. :) If that means I need fork mounted lowers and/or a MadStad windshield, that's what I will do.

9. jellybean764

jellybean764 Active Member

Victory2013 Boardwalk 01 Buell Cyclone
    I had Madstad brackets and a stock windshield and it worked good.Before that I had a windshield with a flip or something and there was a distortion which bothered me.

10. Fishtale_19

Fishtale_19 Active Member

2015 CCT
    I got the madstad brackets only and used the klockwerks shield. Worked fine. After about 40k miles I needed a new shield and bought a madstad that doesnt have a flip to it. I like it much better. In the summer I used the small windshield my bike came with and that worked 2. I thing just about any will work with the brackets

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Big106

Big106 New Member

Did the distortion bother you because you look through your windshield to see the road?

12. Fishtale_19

Fishtale_19 Active Member

2015 CCT
    It wasn't too bad but I am 6'4' so saw over it...

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Uncle Bumpy

Uncle Bumpy New Member

Cross County
    Wind from under the fairing coming up over the tank didn't seem to change for me when I added the brackets. But I did notice that wind more once the buffeting went away. So then I got the little deflector shield that mounts under the triple tree between the forks. That directs the air into the oil cooler and engine. That was a cheap and nice addition to the quality of the ride. I got it from Victory Only. Cost about $50? I had to make some spacers to get it to mount with the billet bar for the front brake lines. A little hard to see in the pic but it's there.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. bobzinger

bobzinger Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Fork wind deflectors and a flip windshield that you can look over.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Big106

Big106 New Member

We'll see if they actually show up, but I was able to place an order for brackets only from MadStad. I decided to give the 11" Klock Werks screen a try first and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 2