VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just picked up a 2016 XCT, 12,500~ miles. - currently the 2nd bike of my fleet. Other bike is a 2014 Yamaha Stryker that I will soon be putting under the knife and turning it into a bobber.

The XCT came with a CFR exhaust, and LEDs, but otherwise stock. It'll be getting air and a tune (Maximus, @NOEMTZ is the guy to go to I hear), maybe a cam. Its purpose is mainly for 2-up'ing with the wife, in an effort to bring back something for us to share in our marriage (life tends to overwhelm people, get in the way, and we forget to put effort into our relationships and marriage).

Some meathook apes, 12" windvest, mod'ing the seat, and blacking out as much of the chrome as possible is on my short list.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Welcome from Chandler, AZ! Upload a pic when you get a chance (think you need 5 posts first).

been some great weather here lately. Hope you get some good riding in before the cold/snow.

Reactions: AZ'MountainMan

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Hey all,

Just picked up a 2016 XCT, 12,500~ miles. - currently the 2nd bike of my fleet. Other bike is a 2014 Yamaha Stryker that I will soon be putting under the knife and turning it into a bobber.

The XCT came with a CFR exhaust, and LEDs, but otherwise stock. It'll be getting air and a tune (Maximus, @NOEMTZ is the guy to go to I hear), maybe a cam. Its purpose is mainly for 2-up'ing with the wife, in an effort to bring back something for us to share in our marriage (life tends to overwhelm people, get in the way, and we forget to put effort into our relationships and marriage).

Some meathook apes, 12" windvest, mod'ing the seat, and blacking out as much of the chrome as possible is on my short list.

Cheers,
:worthless:

Reactions: AZ'MountainMan

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
It'll be getting air and a tune (Maximus, @NOEMTZ is the guy to go to I hear), maybe a cam.
You get an A on your homework, only suggestion is to get 1 for each cylinder. Welcome from Ohio, is lots of great info, funny antidotes and smart asse$ round here, we take turns with each role

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Taylor 10.4 Spark plug cables (ordered), spark plugs, oil change (T5 15w40) and oil filter picked up yesterday as well.
Gonna be ordering the Lloydz filter here shortly, and hold onto it till I have the money set aside for maximus tuning as well.

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Lol, Cam(s).... yes.
Sorry for the lack of response - busy weekend with the kids and Christmas lights.
Appreciate the welcomes.

I'll get pics posted as soon as I get chance.
@AZ'MountainMan ...SORRY, forgot to say WELCOME, I'd warn you about others on here, BUT best to see for yourself, more fun that way.:cool018:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick photo I snapped while changing the oil...

Stupid me, thought I read it took 5 qts... so I put in 5 qts. Oil was coming out the dipstick whole when level. Had to remove 24 oz of oil to get it to read at the full line. Odd, considering I let it drain till nothing was coming out of the oil filter connection or the drain plug. Only took 4.25 qts. Ima check it again level in the morning with the oil fully cold... see where it's at. I ran it for just a few mins after changing the oil originally, with the 5 qts in it, the valvetrain was almost non-existant lol. Once I drained it to 'full', some of the valve/lifter noise cam back :(. Still sounds way better than before, I think it was long overdue for a change.

Spark plugs tomorrow, as I can smell gas when I have the garage door closed and its running.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

Stupid me, thought I read it took 5 qts... so I put in 5 qts. Oil was coming out the dipstick whole when level. Had to remove 24 oz of oil to get it to read at the full line. Odd, considering I let it drain till nothing was coming out of the oil filter connection or the drain plug. Only took 4.25 qts. Ima check it again level in the morning with the oil fully cold... see where it's at. I ran it for just a few mins after changing the oil originally, with the 5 qts in it, the valvetrain was almost non-existant lol. Once I drained it to 'full', some of the valve/lifter noise cam back :(. Still sounds way better than before, I think it was long overdue for a change.

Spark plugs tomorrow, as I can smell gas when I have the garage door closed and its running.

View attachment 588473
looks good! Yes, most of the 106 run 4.25 to 4.5 qts to fill when changing oil. Mine takes 4.5qts on the nose. Every time. Makes it easy since i get the OEM kit that comes with that exact amount.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
My 15 xct takes 4.25 to 4.33 depending which oil filter I use due to them being different lengths ( btw the Wix or Napa gold are great ) That’s a great looking bike @AZ’MountainMan & if your bikes natural habitats climbing & descending varying grades 2 up and loaded than an UDP ( under drive pulley ) from conquest customs may be something to consider. If you spend over 50% of the time above 70mph the factory gearing is fine, I must recommend an intake upgrade with a Maximus tune no matter what ( because the bike will run much cooler, cleaner, more efficiently & a lot smoother ) cams are encouraged esp on big xct’s that are ridden 2 up & fully loaded. I thought mine ran pretty good bone stock but touring steep, curvy roads loaded down I felt was spending way to much time shifting from 2nd to 4th gears and way to often, after the upgrades I am able to just roll the throttle and go baby go. The main trick is ( no matter what set up you have ) is to know your machines power curve and then keep the RPM’s in the meat of the power, these Vics love to be ridden

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts

View attachment 588473
@AZ'MountainMan ...NOW you've become a TRUE VOG contributor...it's OFFICIAL when you start an OIL THREAD:crackup::crackup::crackup:
Now....add some humor and sarcasm and enjoy...you WILL become addicted to this FORUM:dance:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Soooooo.....
Ya'lls thoughts on matching the black paint? The chrome headlight bezel, and saddlebag/tour pack latches and hinges, gotta go. Has anyone used anything other than OEM/ColorRite/TouchUp that is a pretty close match, or should I just go matte black?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
What do yall think of these plugs?
They aren't wet but wreak of fuel... appear dry fouled, .041 gap (well over spec). Gap being wide could be a too cold scenario, also appears to be running rich (one in the same?), or bad wires?

View attachment 588481 View attachment 588483
A little carboned up but not that bad. They've obviously been in there for awhile.
No telling how the PO rode it. If he lugged it around, what gas he was running. Gapped at .41 probably didn't help either. Throw new plugs in it and see what happens. I don't see any reason to worry, Noe and the Maximus will take care of any mixture and timing issues.
Matte black gets my vote.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.