VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello riders,

I'm from Portugal and splitting my time between Portugal and South East Asia where I work.
I still don't own a Victory but I'm talks to buy a Victory Gunner second hand this December, gonna check it out and if all is good deal should be closed in one month.
Any tips on what to check for on a used Victory and specifically a Gunner would be greatly appreciated.

Planning on doing a Stage 1 upgrade soon and maybe Stage 2 around next year, been already reading through a lot of posts on the forum but hadn't posted introduction yet as I was still undecided between the Gunner and a HD Softail Street Bob.

Safe rides

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
If you ride the Vic first you probably won't ride the HD's . Just make sure the tires are properly inflated and plenty of gas. Enjoy the ride...

Not sure what the aftermarket is like over there but you're better off with aftermarket upgrades verse dealer stage parts.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Welcome and yes you can get a lot more bang for your buck doing aftermarket upgrades vs the oe stage upgrades. The Vics are pretty much bullet-proof, if regular oil changes and maintenance have been done then no worries.

Reactions: Poe Znow

·
Registered
240 Posts
You wont regret buying the Victory. They are really nice, and well build bikes.
Regards from Madrid (Spain)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you ride the Vic first you probably won't ride the HD's . Just make sure the tires are properly inflated and plenty of gas. Enjoy the ride...

Not sure what the aftermarket is like over there but you're better off with aftermarket upgrades verse dealer stage parts.
Always check tires before riding. Does it drink heavy? I read it could ride around 280km on a full tank. The aftermarket isn't the strongest in Europe due to many restrictions by the governments but it's still possible to get some stuff and it's always possible to import.

Welcome and yes you can get a lot more bang for your buck doing aftermarket upgrades vs the oe stage upgrades. The Vics are pretty much bullet-proof, if regular oil changes and maintenance have been done then no worries.
So I've read around in forums and planning to start with new performance air filter (probably KN unless I find better option), exhaust (from what I read RWP Thor is one of the best so I'll probably go with that or similar) and maybe Lloydz timing wheel.

You wont regret buying the Victory. They are really nice, and well build bikes.
Regards from Madrid (Spain)
Bless those words, surely hope so.
How long have you been riding your Victory Vision?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome
If the machine has been properly maintained, nothing can happen.
A tip, think about it with the Stage 1, better take the PVCX and go on a test bench. You have a better result .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome
If the machine has been properly maintained, nothing can happen.
A tip, think about it with the Stage 1, better take the PVCX and go on a test bench. You have a better result .
Thanks for the welcome and tip.
Yeah, everytime we change the breathing in and out of machine we should use a fuel controller and dyno tune it, from what I understand.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's not only good for changes. I have seen how differently both cylinders run.
Each cylinder is tuned and that with different throttle positions. I would have only the Stage 1 on it and was surprised which came out after the tuning

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
d 280km on a full tank. The aftermarket isn't the strongest in Europe due to many restrictions by the governments but it's still possible to get some stuff and it's always possible to import
How much they drink depends on your journey. My normal commute (45 miles mixed HW and two lane) I'll get 150-160 miles before the light comes on. Average 42 mpg

Burning tank after tank on tthe HW at 70 mph (Optimum mpg speed for the 6 sp) 175-185 miles before the light came on.

Btw my light comes on with .8 left in the 4.5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Always check tires before riding. Does it drink heavy? I read it could ride around 280km on a full tank. The aftermarket isn't the strongest in Europe due to many restrictions by the governments but it's still possible to get some stuff and it's always possible to import.

So I've read around in forums and planning to start with new performance air filter (probably KN unless I find better option), exhaust (from what I read RWP Thor is one of the best so I'll probably go with that or similar) and maybe Lloydz timing wheel.

Bless those words, surely hope so.
How long have you been riding your Victory Vision?
Yes the Thor is a great pipe. Here's my thoughts on the rest, you can do better. You're going to need a tuner, so do it right, save the expense of the timing gear and go with a flash tuner like the Maximus or PCVX. No timing gear needed with those and great versatile tuners, find someone near you familiar with one of them and get a Dyno tune after adding mods. Next up is the intake, getting lots of air in is even more important than the pipe, don't skimp here! Save a few more bucks and go with a Thirdgears or Lloydz Torque Tube intake.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not only good for changes. I have seen how differently both cylinders run.
Each cylinder is tuned and that with different throttle positions. I would have only the Stage 1 on it and was surprised which came out after the tuning
Yeah even without extra mods the fuel controller alone should allow for optimisation of the stock setup, right?

How much they drink depends on your journey. My normal commute (45 miles mixed HW and two lane) I'll get 150-160 miles before the light comes on. Average 42 mpg

Burning tank after tank on tthe HW at 70 mph (Optimum mpg speed for the 6 sp) 175-185 miles before the light came on.

Btw my light comes on with .8 left in the 4.5 gallon tank.
Thanks for the info man. Really appreciate those numbers.

Yes the Thor is a great pipe. Here's my thoughts on the rest, you can do better. You're going to need a tuner, so do it right, save the expense of the timing gear and go with a flash tuner like the Maximus or PCVX. No timing gear needed with those and great versatile tuners, find someone near you familiar with one of them and get a Dyno tune after adding mods. Next up is the intake, getting lots of air in is even more important than the pipe, don't skimp here! Save a few more bucks and go with a Thirdgears or Lloydz Torque Tube intake.
So if I understand correctly what you're saying the timing wheel is rendered useless with a fuel controller like the PCVX or the Maximus, I thought they complemented each other since I even saw a video from Lloydz where in the comments he said a fuel controller was recommended regardless. Or is the tuner flash and the fuel controller different things? Does the Torque Tube intake replace the air filter or it just complements it?

Thanks for all the info Brothers, as you can see I'm quite new to this kind of motorcycle modding - I currently ride a Honda CMX500 when I'm in Asia on work and the performance mods available are way simpler.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Two different fuel controllers. The older PCV (pc five) needed the timing wheel to advance timing below 2500 rpm. With the newer controllers like the Maximus, the ECU is retuned and adjusts all parameters throughout the full range. No wheel needed.

Torque tubes (steel frame bike), and Maximus tuner with a good set of pipes and you will have a very powerful and rideable machine. And, you should have a better time finding someone who can do the tune.

As I understand it, no dyno runs needed. A laptop and some riding time to tune.

Welcome, and I agree with the above. If you ride the Victory first, it will become your new bike. These things handle great.
Even my heavy CCT loaded with gear and wife, we get 42 or better on the open road moving at 75. At 80 and above you get to 3000 rpm and over the fuel use goes up, but it's still not bad.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Yeah even without extra mods the fuel controller alone should allow for optimisation of the stock setup, right?

Thanks for the info man. Really appreciate those numbers.

So if I understand correctly what you're saying the timing wheel is rendered useless with a fuel controller like the PCVX or the Maximus, I thought they complemented each other since I even saw a video from Lloydz where in the comments he said a fuel controller was recommended regardless. Or is the tuner flash and the fuel controller different things? Does the Torque Tube intake replace the air filter or it just complements it?

Thanks for all the info Brothers, as you can see I'm quite new to this kind of motorcycle modding - I currently ride a Honda CMX500 when I'm in Asia on work and the performance mods available are way simpler.
The Torque Tube intake replaces the airbox and filter, the filters are on the ends of the tubes. The PCV used to be the top of the line tuner/fuel controller, it is unable to adjust ignition timing below 2500 RPM's on Vic's so that's why a timing gear is used with it. The Maximus and PCVX are new age "flash" tuners. They actually re-program your ECM and so are able to adjust ignition timing thru the entire rpm range, thus no timing gear needed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two different fuel controllers. The older PCV (pc five) needed the timing wheel to advance timing below 2500 rpm. With the newer controllers like the Maximus, the ECU is retuned and adjusts all parameters throughout the full range. No wheel needed.

Torque tubes (steel frame bike), and Maximus tuner with a good set of pipes and you will have a very powerful and rideable machine. And, you should have a better time finding someone who can do the tune.

As I understand it, no dyno runs needed. A laptop and some riding time to tune.

Welcome, and I agree with the above. If you ride the Victory first, it will become your new bike. These things handle great.
Even my heavy CCT loaded with gear and wife, we get 42 or better on the open road moving at 75. At 80 and above you get to 3000 rpm and over the fuel use goes up, but it's still not bad.
Thanks for the explanation, I understand it better now.

The Torque Tube intake replaces the airbox and filter, the filters are on the ends of the tubes. The PCV used to be the top of the line tuner/fuel controller, it is unable to adjust ignition timing below 2500 RPM's on Vic's so that's why a timing gear is used with it. The Maximus and PCVX are new age "flash" tuners. They actually re-program your ECM and so are able to adjust ignition timing thru the entire rpm range, thus no timing gear needed.
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do any of you guys know if it's possible do raise the foot pegs in order to increase the lean angle? From reviews I've seen the Gunner tends to scrap the pegs very easily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The simplest is a fork extension.
Here is an example from Germany
VF-806 Gabelverlängerung Telegabel
Thanks but I've read many articles saying fork extensions severely harm and debilitate your forks strength and resistance. Although I'd go for some new longer forks (full forks but longer) if that's available in the market.
Guess I need to do a bit more research.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks pretty good and interesting. Thanks for the link man.
I've found also other posts on this forum talking about racetech front fork springs which seems to raise it a bit, make it stronger and with better overall performance.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
The longer (4") rear shock is the way to go. Conquest Customs or Witchdoctors can hook you up with custom versions or you can install the Victory 4" shock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.