VOG Forum banner

Heated hand grips

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  slej 
#1 ·
So, a couple months ago I used the heat on my hand grips on the way to work.
I only used the low setting, I've never used high. But that's irrelevant. Anyway, I forgot to turn them off when i got to work, and when i got off work, they were extremely hot to the touch. Now you would think that they would be OFF when ignition is off. But evidently NOT. So I turned the switch off and proceeded to ride home. The throttle was so tight, it couldn't snap back when I let off it. Until it cooled down some.
So now, anytime I use the heat, the throttle gets tight and won't snap back. It's like I have a throttle lock on it.
I'm guessing that it distorted the plastic sleeve or something else when it over heated. I haven't torn it apart yet. Probly a winter project.
Anybody else know if their heat doesn't shut off with the ignition?

#5 ·
Loosen the bar end cap a little with a strap wrench (just pops in and out with a twist), the rubber is expanding when heated and could be contacting the end cap. Also they should shut off when the key is off.

Reactions: Dan050
#7 ·
Mine turn off with the ignition, as does my heated seat. After 2 years of use I've noticed the throttle getting sticky when they're on. More noticeable with it in the high setting than the low setting. I'll try adjusting the bar end cap, but admittedly its not a major issue for me. If its cold enough for me to need the high setting than it means I'm wearing my thick gloves too, so I kind of appreciate the throttle being stiffer.

#9 ·
I had after market heated grips that did not turn off with the ignition, as I discovered when I got off of work and had a dead battery -_- My current factory grips do turn off when the ignition is off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.