VOG Forum banner

Heated gloves

3K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Kronker 
#1 ·
Instead of buying and installing heated grips, I was thinking about buying some heated gloves. I notice they have 12v as well as battery operated.
Discuss please..... ;)

#3 ·

I have Gerbing gloves and a jacket liner. Haven't had to use them yet with the new bike, but they worked well with my Nomad. Fingers would still get a little cold on back side of the hand, sitting out in the wind.

#4 ·

I have never used heated gear or grips, mainly because in most parts of CA it doesn't get cold enough. I think my main beef with ththe heated 12V gear is that I do not want to be teathered to the bike. However, the 7v battery powered stuff has caught my eye and would consider trying some of that gear if I new I was going to a place where it was going to be really cold.

Even in CA hands can get frozen. I have had my hands freeze out onme anumber oftimes, and it isn't very fun. I wanted to get heated grips installed on the Suzuki to help counter that but never did it. Instead I found a Winter glove solution that worked out pretty well. But they are bulky and decrease your feel at the controls, which brings me back to the 7V battery powered gear.

MyVision comes equipped with both heated grips and heated seats (first time ever I have had a bike with such equipment), so I'm going to stay with my Held Warm and dry gloves andsee how they do with the grips.I'm also looking at the Gerbing 7V Next Gen heated gloves. These look pretty good to me.

#5 ·

i did not want to be attached to the bike so i went with mobil warming gear, great for shorter rides around an hour depending on you. longer rides in very cold weather require michelin man setup. feet + hands are the first to cool on my naked 13 hammer. i got a set of leather bibs which are heavy but block the air well with a leather jacket.

#6 ·
I've tried battery operated gloves and liners, but my First Gear gloves and jacket liner are far superior to anything else. I've ridden in single digits and still didn't have them turned to max.

#9 ·
I was once stuck on the road when the sun went down and temps dropped and my normal winter gloves wouldn't work, so I stopped at a store looking for some hand Warner's to fit inside them, instead they had toe Warner's that stick to your socks.... Best .99 cent thing ever bought, sure it looks like you got tampons attached to your gloves but hey if it's cold and miserable who cares lol.

#10 ·

I have Gerbing gloves and a jacket liner as well. I clip the controller to my chaps and never had a problem diconnecting it from the bike. The heating element has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. If you buy it at an authorized dealer they register it for you.

Personally I think it would come down to how much heat you need for how long. Battery powered gear would be limited in overall time. The more you turn it up the faster it would drain the battery.

#11 ·

If you change your mind about heaters look into Polly internal handlebar heaters on ebay. The hi/lo model is PH-400 for under 50 bucks.
You can keep your stock grips or swap them out in the future without needing to redo the heaters.

#12 · (Edited)
Well, IMHO, a lot depends on what types of rides you'll be going on, along with the weather protection of the bike.

I do a fair amount of touring, mostly because I have kids 800 and 1,800 miles away. I got tired years ago of trying to decide -- especially in the spring and fall -- whether to wear a bulky three-quarter-length all-weather jacket, or a mesh jacket, or wear one and pack the other. Just too bulky.

The answer for me is: a mesh jacket; thin but strong, long, stretchy, well-made, and gusseted wind- and rain-proof liner (a golf item, actually); and a heated liner. This upper clothing covers me through freezing (below which I won't ride, in case of ice) to as hot as it gets. And equally important, I always wear the mesh jacket but what I may not be wearing -- including the heated liner -- packs down to almost nothing.

I described this in an article for webBikeWorld: All-Season Motorcycle Riding Outfit - webBikeWorld .I mention all this because if you go with a heated liner, then adding heated gloves is a minor extension to this process, with connections to the sleeves.

The problem with heated grips is that they don't deal too well with the backs of your hands, and also your hands must be on the grips. If you're using cruise control, or even without it relaxing your left hand off the grip, you're not getting any heat.

OTOH, I have heated grips on my XCT, and they're nice on a chilly morning in the summer, i.e., even if you're traveling only with light-weight gloves.

So the heated grips are a nice convenience even if you're not on a major cold-weather trip. Maybe having both is best.

You don't mention what bike you own or are planning on getting. The XCT has enough weather protection that I haven't found I really need heated gloves. OTOH, I don't do many long trips when the entire day's ride will be in the 30s -- maybe just the morning.

As far as being tied to the bike, I use a Gerbings coiled extension cord (with the male end replaced with a Powerlet male plug): Extension Cord 90 Deg Coil 4 - Collection Gerbing Thermovelocity Protection . I have a Powerlet outlet under my left thigh, through the side cover; I detail this mod on my XCT at Victory Powerlet in Side Cover . If I have my liner plugged in (which I often don't, because I also use it in moderate temps just as quilted insulation) and forget about it at a gas stop, the cord stretches way out before it would unplug... i.e., I'm reminded to unplug it. So, for me, being connected to the bike is not a big deal: pop in the Powerlet plug, and it's coild out of the way, no riding interference, and then easy to pop out when getting off.

That's my experience. I guess if you're doing all-day really cold-weather rides, and your bike doesn't have heated grips, I'd go with bike-powered heated gloves (and a heated liner). OTOH, if your bike has heated grips, you could probably do without heated gloves, and just wear insulated gloves, although that combination may not be quite as good. If instead you're just doing short cold-weather commutes, battery-pack gloves might be OK, although I don't have any experience with them.

You might want to look at webBikeWorld's glove page, Motorcycle Gloves - webBikeWorld , where they even have a section of reviews of battery-pack gloves. There's a lot to read there.

#13 ·
I have Gerbing heated gloves and can attach them to the Gerbing heated jacket liner. Heated gloves are the best at keeping fingers toasty warm but the downside is they are leather and riding in a cold rain, spring and fall, they aren't waterproof. Unless the latest ones are waterproof. Covering them over with rubber industrial type over gloves is way too bulky and hand controls become impossible to deal with. I've found wearing waterproof snow mobile gloves, either all individual fingers or the "lobster looking ones", two fingers in one portion and two in the next (the best at keeping the fingers warm), is a good way to go. Add heated grips and all the better.

#15 ·
I have commented on heated gloves in other posts, but not since I hardwired mine to the bike. I have Gerbing 12-volt gloves with the chargeable power packs. However, I wired them to the battery with no controller, just letting them draw the entire 2.2 amps. They are super warm! I rode to work in sub-freezing weather last week, and believe me, when my hands are warm, the ride is much more enjoyable! Now I can save the charge on the batteries for when I am off the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.