VOG Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Anyway if anyone ever has to change a lens cover on a Victory will want to put a bull guard around it to make sure never breaks again, anyway laughing now but it was not funny at the time and some choice cuss words flowed during that job, and I put every bolt back which some where a challenge in both directions.

I ordered a new headlight Housing from Victory. It wont ship from Victory until Nov 1. Mine has a melted spot over the right bulb that looks like someone put a 100W+/- bulb in there and overheated it. It don't affect the headlight focus but it looks like heck. I have a pair of 9003 Sylvania ZXE bulbs to install when I swap it out. I also ordered the boots in case they rip when removed since they are 7 yrs old.

I’ve replaced my lens for same problem in 2014 but both sides melted, all stock, a question since I checked everything on electrical side and found nothing, some info can be found under melted headlight lens, anyway do you remember when you notice what the temp and weather conditions where outside? I’m down to this being a factor or just possible issues with the quality of the lens itself failing for some reason.

My headlight was like that when I bought it. The dealer sent me a picture of it and I got them to drop the $400 off the price. I ordered the new one last week and Victory has them on back order and wont be available until Nov 1. I have seen this before on auto headlights. Two things can cause it.
1. higher wattage than OEM bulb.
2. something over the headlight lens when light is on. In one case it was a neoprene fender cover over the headlight during service work.
Been through this with my Chevy SSR. It has terrible headlights. Many of us on the SSR forum tried LED bulbs and either went with ZXE's or HID upgrades. HID upgrades worked great but are expensive and eliminated the DRL function. I use ZXE's and very happy so that's what I'm putting in the Vision.

If this has been a common problem then I would suspect a faulty design or material issue from the factory.

LED bulbs can be a solution since they run cooler but, headlights designed for halogen bulbs will not focus LED light properly. They may look brighter but scatter the light instead of focusing it and are terrible at night and blind oncoming traffic. That is why there are NO DOT approved LED replacement headlight bulbs. Also, LEDs require heat dissipation to survive, the cheap ones wont last long and some have built in fans that fail within a year. Eventually we will see usable LED replacement bulbs but there are none out there right now that are safe or legal to use. Newer LED vehicle headlights are purposely designed for the LED emmiters, they do not have replaceable bulbs and the entire unit has to be replaced if the light fails but they are Very reliable.
Greg

They may look brighter but scatter the light instead of focusing it and are terrible at night and blind oncoming traffic.
I got mine focused pretty well. I've not been flashed once since the led install. I would get flashed daily with the 10 year old OEM bulbs. Plenty of cars in front of me seem to not care for the light in their mirrors! Not a bad thing!

So obviously the LEDs are not quite as penitrating as the halogens but the color helps. Hopefully they last as long as the OEM (still good) bulbs. Don't feel like taking it back apart anytime soon.

The other non LED option are the PIAA Super Plasma GT-X. They are pricey at about $65 ea. but they claim to be as good as HID and vibration proof. They are made exclusively for motorcycles to last longer and provide more light. My neighbor has these in his BMW, they are very bright and white. Not sure if they are any better though than the ZXE's which are half the cost.

Tried to replace the center light in my first victory and ended up breaking the housing and had to replace the whole headlight so i had the hid removed and put in a standard bulb. Old/New 2011 vision just bought still has the hid and water in the headlight. to solve the water issue i puled the rubber cover off the light and water drained out on my hand. Left it off and all the condensation in the headlight evaporated. just left it off and no more water issues plus the hid light which did not work now works.

I know this thread is kind of old but wanted to give some input on my recent experience with replacement lighting on my 2013 Victory Vision trike.....

I recently put the Daywalker LED bulb that mypaldave used in his bike in the post above in the center "cyclops" light position and I am amazed at the difference from the OEM halogen bulb. Bright white road lighting light right in front of trike where I need it. Almost as good as my old 2008 Visions HID lighting system that these all should have come with as standard equipment imo. I just wish I would have done all three.

I replaced the right side top headlight bulb with
"
AUXITO H4 9003 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb " bought on Amazon and I am not impressed at all with the seemingly one direction output. They seem to only light up in the trees on low and high beam. They are going back as I went back on Amazon and ordered two more of the Daywalkers and can't wait to see the difference.

I did replace these bulbs by myself without removing the headlight module and I am 5'11" and 280 lbs and been diesel mechanic for 30+ years and have hugh hands and only removed the air filter and jacked the front of the trike up one foot and replaced the bulbs from below sitting besides front tire facing the bike. It requires lots of patience and some minor damage to skin on your hands but it's definitely doable!

Don't care for the lack of far vision at night although the Daywalker in the cyclops is fine and lights the front of bike ok. Going to try the expensive PIAA super plasma GT-X as tired of out driving the lights at 35 mph.
Do you have an HID in your cyclops?

In my experience (customer installs) with PIAA bulbs, their failure rate is way to high ! With the Vision , your hand may not have heeled before the 1st one blows out.

I read that and yet they are supposed to be made vibration resistant and for motorcycles. I will be really unhappy if they don't last a year or more as they are the most expensive bulbs I have bought to date. I was only planning on using them for main headlights and trying to find a comparable
H I D lighting system to work in the limited space of the Cyclops light. I don't want to use higher wattage h4 in main headlights and risk wiring or plastic damage from heat but reading up on PIAA GT-X , 55-60 watts but produce light supposedly equivalent to higher wattage bulbs? Right now I'm using a Daywalker LED bulb in the center (cyclops) and when I have it on i blind oncoming traffic and get high beam flashed often but it does light up road right in front of trike nicely.

The last Accord I upgraded to PIAA had 1 blowout inside 2 months, maybe 18 months ago. My BIL would blow one out in his CIVIC (H4) every 6 months for a couple years until going back to stock replacements.

Hope you have better luck.

I want to take out the LEDs I put in last year because I'm pretty sure halogen bulbs are better down the road. Just haven't decided what I want to go with. I only replace my 12yr old OEM bulbs because I had the bike stripped down. The color of the LEDs is whiter and bother oncoming traffic, but they're only good for a couple hundred feet.

My 08 came with HID Cyclops. Combined with stock on high, 5-800 ft on a long straight road. Now with the LEDs high lights up in the trees but doesn't travel down the road any farther at all.

The last Accord I upgraded to PIAA had 1 blowout inside 2 months, maybe 18 months ago. My BIL would blow one out in his CIVIC (H4) every 6 months for a couple years until going back to stock replacements.

Hope you have better luck.

I want to take out the LEDs I put in last year because I'm pretty sure halogen bulbs are better down the road. Just haven't decided what I want to go with. I only replace my 12yr old OEM bulbs because I had the bike stripped down. The color of the LEDs is whiter and bother oncoming traffic, but they're only good for a couple hundred feet.

My 08 came with HID Cyclops. Combined with stock on high, 5-800 ft on a long straight road. Now with the LEDs high lights up in the trees but doesn't travel down the road any farther at all.
Exactly, shines up in trees. LED's don't like reflectors.... I loved my 2008 with the HID Cyclops. It was best ever. I liked when you turn it on and you can actually watch it warm up and get bright. I'm older now and I wear glasses and I can't see well at night and I need all the help I can get as riding (especially at night) is my therapy and I just want to make it a little safer as I know it's only a matter of time before I will have to give it up someday although I really hope that day never comes but then my again, I never thought I would have to downgrade to a trike....

I just put the OEM bulbs back in my Vision...

The LED bulbs I put in back in 2019 lasted about a year or so. Then I put Sylvania Xtra Vision, lost the right side last month and this morning I saw this
Wheel Car Tire Plant Land vehicle

So tonight I put the OEM bulbs back in after reading the print on the bulbs, GE made them and I found some NOS for $22. Hopefully they last for good long while.

Old thread, I know. But installed LEDs today. Ended up taking off the horse collar and a few other things thinking I could get the headlight out. No go without tearing half the front end apart. Ended up watching the video here and that helped greatly to know the procedure and how the clips work.

with the air filter out and the horse collar off, I had enough room to get all 3 bulbs removed and replaced in just 20 mins (not counting tear down and reassembly). The cyclops light was my testing ground since it is the easiest to get to.
Serveware Tableware Gas Dishware Wood

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
Ride it at night and get back to us. Some have said the LED's look bright but don't shine down the road as well. Too much of a pain for me to try it. In fact I had some led's for front turn signals and went back to incandescent. Last two times I took front end apart...

Ride it at night and get back to us. Some have said the LED's look bright but don't shine down the road as well. Too much of a pain for me to try it. In fact I had some led's for front turn signals and went back to incandescent. Last two times I took front end apart...
Will do…although I rarely ride at night so would only be able to tell if it’s a drastic difference. I do like the white light look over the yellowing halogens and think it will help me be more visible to cagers.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.